“Nothing fancy but a great value”

Motel 6 Marshalltown
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Marshalltown
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We pulled in late at night looking for just a place to sleep as we would be leaving early in the morning. This met our expectations. The front desk person (Nick?) was the most pleasant person I have come across in a long time. He offered to carry in our bags. When we declined he was right at the door holding it open when we came in. He had went up to our room, after we made the reservation, and turned on the lights and made sure everything was up to "par". He had warned us that the TV remote didn't work and offered to get one that did but we didn't care because we were going straight to bed.

The sheets on the bed were very worn and "pilly" but the bed was comfortable. There was a mark on the wall that I thought may be dirt but when I tried to wipe it off it was just a mark on the wall. We weren't going to eat breakfast but did walk through just to see what there was. It was very limited.

Overall, for the price we were very satisfied with this Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Nick R, General Manager at Motel 6 Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2012

I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay. I remember you well. Please come back and visit again!

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Where to begin...to start things off they screwed up and gave me one bed instead of two. I had to pay an additional $20.00 and the manager was always to busy to talk to me. Our room was horrible! The bed sheets were stained with grease, had fresh stains and lots of hair on them. The carpet in our room had not been vaccumed. We found pills on the floor and food all over them. We had to buy two air freshners for our room...we stayed in a non smoking room and its smelled like rotten food. When we came back to the room after supper we were greated by dirty men drinking beer outside the hotel doors. My daughter complained several times that bugs were bitting her. When we got home she had red dots all over her legs and arms. The breakfast is a joke! I will never stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank grossedout51560

I am extremely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. As I said in a previous review, my position was created to make a manager more available to guests with issues such as yours. I started at this property four days after you posted this review. I assure you, we have made many improvements in the housekeeping department -- most notably, we hired a very experienced head housekeeper who is doing an incredible job. You definitely should not have been charged extra for a change in your room type; if you would contact me, I'd be happy to take a look at your bill with you. We have also added items to our breakfast. We pride ourselves on being a GREAT value, while also maintaining high standards of cleanliness and providing friendly service. I apologize if we fell short for you. Please stay with us again and see the differences.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Bed bugs! That should say it all. I have been trying to get my money back for the few days I stayed there and the manager/owner has been dogging my calls. I will be in town this week and will stop by and hopefully talk to him in person. I would rather sleep in my car or under the stars than sleep in this bug infested place again. My next stop will be the BBB of Iowa.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank jjchbca

I wish I could speak with you about your experience. I say with 100% certainty and honesty that we are free of any of the problems you cite. We have regular, monthly pest control with a very reputable company. With regards to your difficulty speaking with the owner, I sincerely apologize. I assure you no one was trying to avoid you; the owner was managing the property previously and created my position so that we can respond to every guest promptly and to ensure satisfaction. I deeply apologize this didn't happen for you. If you have a moment, feel free to contact the property so I may discuss your comments with you. I'm sincerely grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

When we arrived, the remote and air conditioner in the room did not work. When we reported it the desk clerk offered us a room on the second floor which we did not really want since we had requested. A handicapped room so we would be on the ground floor. The other clerk offered an upgrade to a king room on the ground fllor which was appreciated.

There was something orange stuck on the bedspread, don't know what, probably better that way. The tub leaked and there was about an inch of water in the tub and the sink faucet leaked. When we told the morning clerk, she disn't apologize however she did say she would leave a note.

As stated back from the highway so no road noise.

All in all not too bad for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012

I apologize for any issues you encountered while staying with us. We are continuing training of the front desk staff and are really focusing on BOLD service. We have a new head housekeeper who is superb as well as a newer, permanent maintenance person to address issues such as the ones you encountered. Please stop back and see how your stay today compares with July. Thank you for your comments!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here one night. Front desk clerk was friendly. Very basic, bare bones. Television didn't work. One of the windows of another room outside apparently had been kicked in or broken. Didn't feel too secure. Breakfast was cereal, that's it. Cheap price, but a little sketchy for my taste. Had a microwave and refrigerator which was a nice touch for the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

I am a new general manager at this property as of September 1st. I appreciate all of the feedback received on TripAdvisor. We have made great strides to make improvements to the property and are continuing to improve. We did have a couple of broken windows which have been replaced. We have added items to our breakfast (have always had toast, honey buns, cereals, milk, juice, etc.)... We will always be the best value in Marshalltown without sacrificing service or cleanliness. I give my word that if a problem is brought to my attention, I will do everything in my power to make it right!

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed 1 night on a weekend. Our Room was ready for an early afternoon check in and was clean and met basic hotel requirements. Staff was friendly and courteous! Bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure to sign up for the Americas Best Value Membershihp Rewards Program to save a few bucks on...