“Incredibly poor management”

Ranked #7 of 8 McGregor B&B and Inns
Terre Haute, Indiana
“Incredibly poor management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is the absolute first time I have ever given a negative review of a property of any sort. I am doing so because this situation was entirely unacceptable. I will attempt to keep this review as succinct as possible; however, it's quite a complex tale to tell... I had made a reservation at this B&B almost 2 months prior, as we were to be in the area to visit Effigy Mounds National Monument (which is approximately 5 minutes from the Lamp Post). I used the booking system on their website, and at the time, there were no rooms indicated as being booked. I received a confirmation email of my reservation, and all seemed well... 1 day prior to our scheduled arrival, I received a phone call from somone named Natalie, apparently affiliated with the establishment. She made it sound as if they expected me to be there that night (Friday), as opposed to the following night (Saturday, as actually booked), and reported that they had somehow become overbooked, and would be unable to accommodate me, but they had made alternative arrangements. I called them back and spoke with an elderly gentleman. I explained that I was scheduled to be there Saturday night as opposed to Friday, and he seemed to express that everything would be okay since that was the case. I said to him, "So I'll see you all on Saturday then...?" "Yep, sounds good", was they reply I received. So we arrived at the Lamp Post as scheduled this evening, around 8:30pm, and were greeted at the door by an elderly woman (she seemed to be a nice enough person). She introduced herself ( I cannont recall her name), and immediately, somewhat bluntly stated, "You won't be staying here this evening." I presented her with the information that I had received via telephone, and she replied "Yes, I'm sorry for the mix-up; we are actually overbooked for tonight and will be unable to accommodate you." To their credit (if any can be given), they had indeed made alternative arrangements for us at a spa/apartment building a few blocks down the street. The lady stated that they were much nicer accommodations than they offered at the Lamp Post, and assured us that we would be quite comfortable. She had us follow her to the new location, a suite that had been renovated from an apartment, above the Green Room Spa. The problem was that this buliding was located directly in the heart of the local "watering hole" district; live music was blaring from the sidewalk, and the streets were filled with noisy, rambunctious, shady-looking drunks (again, keep in mind that this location is only 4-5 blocks from the Lamp Post itself). This was an environment that was the complete opposite of what we had expected when we booked a quaint-looking B&B. As nice as the apartment/suite looked at the Green Room, my wife and I were extremely uncomfortable staying in, or around, this environment. My wife was actually so disgusted with the situation that she refused to leave the car altogether... I explained to the woman that we would be canceling our stay, and searching for a hotel in Prairie du Chien, which is just a few short minutes across the river... Well, being Labor Day Weekend, every local hotel was completely booked. This forced us to seek accommodations in La Crosse, WI, 60 miles north of McGregor/Prairie du Chien. I was luckily able to book the last room available at the Hampton Inn in this city (albeit at a rate nearly double what I was to be charged at the Lamp Post, and also only having 2 double beds, forcing my wife and I to sleep separately...) So now I have driven approximately 120 miles / 3 hours (round-trip) out of my way, because of the poor communication and management at the Lamp Post. The lady running the B&B was fairly apologetic, but this did little to improve my situation... I have never before in my life been turned away from a booked accommodation. Being 500 miles away from home in the middle of the night, this left me feeling quite helpless, disregared,and disrespected Also, this 2-week vacation is the first time that my wife and I have ever attempted staying in any sort of B&B (having successfully stayed in 2 others earlier in our trip). Not only has this situation put a negative light on the Lamp Post itself, but I feel that this has probably soured me on B&Bs altogether. You just never really know what you will be getting yourself into when you're staying in a strangers' home; however, I digress... You would think that the owners of the property should have able to inform me of this problem much sooner than they did, and explained the situation. At least that would've allowed me to explore other alternatives before driving so far out of my way... If you are looking for dependable, quaint, or cozy accommodations, I suggest you look elsewhere, preferably outside of the McGregor area altogether. As "nice" of people as the owners seem to be, I simply cannot recommend the Lamp Post to anyone...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jerod N

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
St. Louis, MO. USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We found this charming Victorian home easily and quickly checked into our roomy, comfortable room. Parking is on the street out front and there are some steps up to the second floor, but overall convenient. The owners were very visible and more that friendly, willing to get out of your way, or shoot the breeze as you wish. The town of McGregor is charming and compact with a few shops and restaurants. Also, neighboring Marquette has an old school house with a very nice antique mall inside it. We ate at the local Mexican place which was fine. The owner laid out coffee for us on the stair landing so we could have it on waking up. The breakfast was super with omelet, bacon, toast, and a nice conversation. We did stop at Pike's Peak State Park to see the view of the Mississippi/Wisconsin Rivers converging below. I can recommend this B&B if you are visiting this interesting area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great cute little b&b with a jacuzzi. McGregor, IA is wonderful quaint town!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

The Inn was easy to find and very convenient for our stay, near everything. Our hostess was helpful and informative. Our room was small, but clean. We shared the bathroom, which is large and old. Breakfast every morning was delicious and so nicely presented. A good value and good place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pastlady
Cedar Falls, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

We found this B&B comfortable and welcoming. Our room was good sized, though the bath was tiny. The linens were very nice. The mattress was fair. The hostess was very gregarious and chatty. Breakfast was generous in size, with fresh strawberries she picked for the occasion. We are probably more used to the anonymity of hotels with more amenities, but if you like to stay in a home-like setting you might find it enjoyable. The price was reasonable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFromIA56
Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

The owners, food, and room were all above expectations. It's always nice to stay at a B&B where you get to meet and talk with people in a different way than at a hotel. Glad we picked this place where the folks were extra nice. Some of the art work on the walls is quite good as well. The only drawback was he shared bathroom.
Would stay again.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGregor
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Marquette, IA/Prairie Du Chien
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Prairie Du Chien
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Prairie...
#1 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Prairie du Chien
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#2 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Bluffview Inn & Suites
Bluffview Inn & Suites
#5 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Bridgeport Inn
Bridgeport Inn
#9 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 12 in Prairie du Chien

Been to Lamp Post Inn and Gallery B&B? Share your experiences!