“Considerate Inn Keeper”
Review of Hillside Cottages

Hillside Cottages
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Missouri Valley
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My sister & I had a reservations during the flooding. The manager called a week before to let us know that we may have problems due to road closures so we had to change our plans & stay closer to the airport. She was more concerned with our inconvenience than having a paying customer. We did drive by the Cottages and they looked real cute. I was sorry we couldn't stay there but I wanted to comment on her thoughtfulness.
Gerri from Simi Valley

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank travelinsis

Reviewed 7 August 2010

I prefer older independent motels to interstate chains, the older the better. Vintage motels are always my first choice. I was in Mo Valley to visit family and do genealogy research at local cemeteries again, and decided to stay at the Hillside. Despite the name, there are no separate cottages, just a long low court motel behind a big old farmhouse. You can park right in front of your door. The rooms are small but very clean and charmingly furnished with a blend of old and new. The beds were comfortable, the AC worked, the bathroom fixtures all were clean and working. I couldn't hear my neighbors, good sound separation. But the real bonus is the location; far away from the CONSTANT interstate roar and railroad crossing noise that plagues the other motels in town. Mo Valley is a railroad town and there are dozens of trains a day, with loud horns and clanging crossings. You won't hear that at the Hillside, just train horns in the distance. I like trains, but i like to sleep too!
Hillside Cottages is on the Old Lincoln Highway, at the far east end of town behind a bluff. The old highway isn't that busy, and the cicadas in the trees were the loudest thing out there. I recommend this place for folks who dig real history, local ambiance and a clean quiet sleep. My ONLY beef is that my room didn't have a table! It did have a nice micro-fridge tho. It also about 6 nautical themed clocks, only one of which was set to the right time. But these things are minor weirdnesses, part of the fun. I would definitely stay there again, all five of us in my party feel the same. Good Value, Good historical appeal, quiet and friendly. Not fancy, but clean.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank plainbrowntabby
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I couldn't find any reviews for this place so we took a chance and we were rewarded with a very nice stay. Each room is decorated differently and great care has been taken to revamp an older locale. The beds was great and the area is very quiet. The innkeepers were very friendly and accomodating to us even though we arrived very late (1am). They live on the property so they are always available if you need anything.

Good price and good location for our trip to Woodbine that next day and its close enough to the airport that you can get there in less than 30 minutes but you don't have to deal with the noise of the airport hotels. I'd stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank gslink

Been to Hillside Cottages? Share your experiences!