“Quaint, quirky, quiet charm, convenient, friendly and inexpensive”
Review of Hillside Cottages

Hillside Cottages
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Missouri Valley
Oregon
“Quaint, quirky, quiet charm, convenient, friendly and inexpensive”
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I prefer older independent motels to interstate chains, the older the better. Vintage motels are always my first choice. I was in Mo Valley to visit family and do genealogy research at local cemeteries again, and decided to stay at the Hillside. Despite the name, there are no separate cottages, just a long low court motel behind a big old farmhouse. You can park right in front of your door. The rooms are small but very clean and charmingly furnished with a blend of old and new. The beds were comfortable, the AC worked, the bathroom fixtures all were clean and working. I couldn't hear my neighbors, good sound separation. But the real bonus is the location; far away from the CONSTANT interstate roar and railroad crossing noise that plagues the other motels in town. Mo Valley is a railroad town and there are dozens of trains a day, with loud horns and clanging crossings. You won't hear that at the Hillside, just train horns in the distance. I like trains, but i like to sleep too!
Hillside Cottages is on the Old Lincoln Highway, at the far east end of town behind a bluff. The old highway isn't that busy, and the cicadas in the trees were the loudest thing out there. I recommend this place for folks who dig real history, local ambiance and a clean quiet sleep. My ONLY beef is that my room didn't have a table! It did have a nice micro-fridge tho. It also about 6 nautical themed clocks, only one of which was set to the right time. But these things are minor weirdnesses, part of the fun. I would definitely stay there again, all five of us in my party feel the same. Good Value, Good historical appeal, quiet and friendly. Not fancy, but clean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank plainbrowntabby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Greenville, TX
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I couldn't find any reviews for this place so we took a chance and we were rewarded with a very nice stay. Each room is decorated differently and great care has been taken to revamp an older locale. The beds was great and the area is very quiet. The innkeepers were very friendly and accomodating to us even though we arrived very late (1am). They live on the property so they are always available if you need anything.

Good price and good location for our trip to Woodbine that next day and its close enough to the airport that you can get there in less than 30 minutes but you don't have to deal with the noise of the airport hotels. I'd stay here again if I am in the area.

• Liked — Price, location, room was well done and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
No photo provided
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 2 in Blair
Red Roof Inn & Suites Omaha - Council Bluffs
Red Roof Inn & Suites Omaha - Co...
#14 of 24 in Council Bluffs
Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#13 of 24 in Council Bluffs
Harrah's Council Bluffs
Harrah's Council Bluffs
#1 of 24 in Council Bluffs

Been to Hillside Cottages? Share your experiences!