“Beautiful setting, lots of activities”

Honey Creek Resort State Park
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I was here for one night as part of a yoga retreat and stayed at the main lodge. I arrived in the early morning to check in for the retreat, and was allowed to check in early. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated with a sort of Frank Lloyd Wright feel. The bathroom was also nice and modern. I took part in a ranger-led walk where the ranger pointed out several kinds of birds and bird habitat and also took part in their nightly campfire and s'more making. There were more activities that I would have liked to try like biking, canoeing, and possibly swimming in the lake. There seemed to be lots of kids' activities and there's a waterpark with lazy river and water slide.

The resort is kind of isolated, and the only place to eat is the restaurant at the resort. I had the buffet lunch, the walleye cakes for dinner, and the buffet brunch. All were good, and reasonably priced, although the selection at lunch was a bit limited.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 May 2012

The resort is very nice. There is a main lodge right on the lake with rooms, conference rooms, restaurant, and indoor water park, plus several cabins with 1, 2, 3, or bedrooms. I didn't go into a cabin but they looked nice and people staying in them seemed to like them. We had a double queen room with a lakeside view and were very pleased with it. The decor is quite pleasing -- kind of Frank Lloyd Wright style. A lot of stained glass in the lobby and restaurant. The restaurant is decently priced and has an adequate array of food. The staff is very nice. The only problem is this is the only restaurant and there are no towns nearby so you get kind of tired of eating in the same place all of the time. There was a snack bar by the water park but we didn't try that. The water park is oriented toward young children. All of the pools are shallow. There is a lazy river but it is VERY slow. There is a big hot tub which was the most adult-oriented thing there. I don't think teens would like the water park. There was no outdoor pool. It looked like you could swim in the lake. There is a golf course, you can rent bikes and boats. There is a naturalist who leads some programs. There are trails for hiking. We hiked, and came home with ticks! There was a bonfire and we made smores, that was fun. It was very relaxing and felt like a vacation even though close to home. I would go again for a short stay. Two nights seems about right.

Room Tip: We liked the lakeside view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was my first stay - my daughter and I went for Mother's Day. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the layout was roomy. Our room keys did not work, I went to the front desk (only 2 elevators at the end of each hallway - LOTS of walking!) and got 2 new cards, they didn't work either. The front desk person had given me her number to call in case these cards didn't work either, which I thought was great customer service! I called and in less than 10 minutes, a maintenance man was there and recharged the door lock, again, great customer service. The food at the resort restaurant was excellent as was the service! We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill C
Reviewed 7 May 2012

. . . and you'll get a hundred answers. As with all things, some people like this place and others, not so much. We were here for the previously mentioned geocaching mega-event. We actually stayed at the nearby State Park but we spent quite a bit of time at the resort because many of our events were held there.

The resort is physically attractive and styled in a craftsman decor, which I found quite pleasant. The lobby is pretty. The rooms looked to be of average size and about what you'd epect to find at a moderately priced hotel. The facility looked clean.

We ate three group meals at the resort. Breakfast and lunch were served buffet style. Breakfast was sausage, scrambled eggs, and french toast sticks. The french toast sticks were very good, the eggs were cold and bland, and the sausage had a texture I have never seen before in a meat or meat by-product. Floating in 1/4 inch of cold grease probably didn't help much. Lunch was pulled pork (which wasn't cooked long enough to pull) or chicken (which had been cooked way too long). The lasagna at dinner was good, and the breadsticks were fresh and hot. The salad was completely wilted. I found the servers at all meals to be rather unfriendly and a couple were downright rude.

We took the kids to the indoor waterpark on Sunday and they enjoyed it. The water was very warm, and while not large, it was enough to keep them happy and busy for a couple of hours. They have a water slide and a small lazy river, and a larger (not large) square pool. There's also a good sized jacuzzi. The staff here was much nicer than in the restaurants.

From what we could see, the golf course looked nice.

The experience here was fine for a MOGA weekend, but I don't see us coming here for a vacation.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I just came back from my second stay at this great resort. This visit I spent three nights, as part of a group that filled the resort to capacity. The group meals offered prompt service with good food served hot. The individual dining in the Lakeshore Grill Restaurant was outstanding. All the staff I talked to was friendly. The facility is beautiful. The mini-waterpark is popular with the kids and adults alike.

Room Tip: If you want to take a bicycle you might prefer a lower-level room (at ground level) where you can ke...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the RV sites this weekend as a part of a large geocaching event. This was our first visit to Honey Creek and we won't be back anytime soon. This place looks good on the outside - pretty golf course, fancy building, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, no one put much thought into the details. For example, there are no toilets in the camping area, there is no quick path from the camping area to the playground, there are no tornado shelters (this was built after a terrible incident at a Boy Scout Camp also in Southern Iowa).

The younger children (4 and 9) enjoyed the water park and the lifeguards all seem very attentive. But the facility is nothing spectacular and is already starting to show its age. The showers all leak and spray more water on the walls than they do out of the shower head. There is no soap to clean off with before you go to the water (yuck).

Others talk about a welcome at the front desk in the Lodge, but ours was underwhelming. We had to ask for any type of map of the grounds and she looked at me as if I had sprouted another head when I asked what the scale of the map was. Meanwhile, the front desk staff, who were admittedly a bit overwhelmed when I was there, did not know the closest toilets to the campgrounds were at the playgrounds (0.7 mile walk round trip) as opposed to the Lodge (2 miles walk round trip). When I asked about the tornado shelter for the campground, she said - the Lodge. And sirens I asked? None.

The whole place reminds me of other large projects where someone had a great idea, didn't do any marketing study, planning, etc. Nothing is within walking distance. I felt like I was in a YUPPY nightmare with golf course for the retired folks, mini-waterpark for the 10 and unders and nothing much for me, except long walks with a young child who needs to use the toilet.

1  Thank mbirgen
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I recently spent a weekend at this resort on a recommendation from someone else, as I had no idea it even existed in the state I live in. That may be because it’s fairly new, but the other reason may be that it is in the middle of nowhere. I’m from Iowa, but this resort may have well been in Outer Mongolia as it is so isolated. There is nothing around this resort for miles, it’s not easy to find, and to get here requires a journey. So I had to ask myself, does this isolated resort have enough to keep me entertained for a weekend, and enough for me to take a dedicated journey to reach it? For me the answer was no. There is a nice prairie style golf course on the property, a small indoor water park, prairie grassland nature trails, and a lake offering swimming and boating in season. But that’s not quite enough for me.
While I was there, there was a wedding taking place that weekend, and all the wedding party and family were there. Maybe if I were in a party like that, may answer may have been different. But I felt isolated and not entertained by the resort itself.
The resort is beautifully designed. Whoever did the interiors did a wonderful job in creating a beautiful craftsman style feel to the place. And I was pleasantly surprised by the food. I thought with this place being so isolated, that all the food would come out of the freezer, but all 3 meals I had there were very good. If this place were close to even a medium population center, it might make a nice weekend diversion. But as it is now, it is a small gem in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moravia
Country Cabins
#1 of 3 in Centerville
One of a Kind
One of a Kind
#2 of 2 in Centerville

Been to Honey Creek Resort State Park? Share your experiences!