“Shame on them”

Hotel Muscatine Iowa
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Muscatine
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had my wedding ceremony & reception scheduled here. I got a call 1 month (and 2 days) before the wedding day saying they were cancelling their services. I was given my security deposit back, but that was all. Naturally only being a month out I already had wedding invites sent out, and services lined up. It cost a significant amount of money to send out new invites and pay for professional services to travel into the quad cities instead. I am so disgusted that they only hold the customer accountable for the signed contract, and do not provide any compensation for not upholding their end of the deal. Not a trustworthy company. My in-laws spent a night in their hotel rooms and said they had a terrible experience. Coffee pot & hairdryer did not work, carpet was filthy, overall very poor quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GV2013
Muscatine1, General Manager at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

I would to apologize again for the inconvenience the closing of our banquet facility caused you and your family members. This was a very tough decision to make as a company. I'm glad you found a nice alternative place to hold your reception. I wish you and your new husband many years of happiness.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I usually stay here 3 to 4 times a year so I got the good picture of the change. The hotel is outdated and needs some renovation, but is a good value if you don't mind the outdated rooms. The rooms are spacious and pool area looks good, but what is down from the last visit is room cleaningness. You can tell that the housekeepeers are not doing their job. To summarize, you could probably get a same or even better value across the street.

• Stayed: December 2012
Muscatine1, General Manager at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

I'm sorry about your last visit with us. We do know that we are in need of a renovation but the cleanliness is in our control and looks as if we failed on that. I had a staff meeting with our housekeepers on the cleanliness of our hotel and have shared your comments with them. I will also be doing more room inspections to insure that our rooms are clean prior to our guest arriving. I appreciate your comments, thank you.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed at this location for work. Unfortunately this week was above average temps and extremely hot. The hotel had shut off all capabilities of using AC. Terribly uncomfortable. They did offer a fan to move the stale warm air in my room. Guest laundry was filthy in washer and dryer took 3 times to dry 2 pairs of jeans, shirts, socks and needs to be replaced. Even the laundry floor was filthy. As the washer moved due to an apparently unbalanced load leaving the floor to be seen underneath. Yuck. Staff was ok... however I don't appreciate seeing tattoos covering both arms and some of chest openly exposed on front desk female. Cover up, clean and update restrooms, clean laundry room, and be conscious of weather (don't shut AC down) and maybe I'd give another try. Location is the only positive.

• Stayed: October 2012
Muscatine1, General Manager at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

I would like to thank you for letting me know about your experience here at the Clarion and apologize to you. Some issue don't always make it to my desk. As for the guest laundry room I have had housekeeping clean in and around the washer and dryer. I have also had a repairman look at the the washer and dryer and both are now working correctly. The AC has been winterized, unfortunately we have had warmer weather than expected since we shut it down. I have also gone over the proper appearance guidlines with the front desk staff, hopefully this has been taken care of. We hope to see you come back on your next visit to Muscatine.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Clarion in Muscatine and found the staff to be pleasant and the rooms clean. The pillows and comforter were absolutely WONDERFUL and the entire family commented on them.

The continental breakfast was nice and we enjoyed the selection!

The only negative was that the indoor pool was quite chilly and the kids were disappointed that we had to say "no" to swimming. We didn't get to check out the hot tub because of our kids, but we did hear people using that.

We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Nichole S, Manager at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for staying with us, we are glad you enjoyed our bedding and free breakfast. We are working with our pool expert and he is adjusting the heat on the pool. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This past weekend we had my daughters 7th birthday party at the hotel. The staff was very accommodating to our needs. We did have enough table and chairs set up and within 5 min they were getting extra ones set up for us. They came down to the party area several times to make sure everything was running smoothly and that we didn’t need anything else. We had 40 plus people there and three of the other families are thinking about having their daughter’s parities there as well. They were very friendly and made sure we felt right at home. We had six girls stay the night at the hotel with us. They opened the pool early so the girls could swim before we went home. The continental breakfast was one of the best ones we have had at a hotel. Along with the cereal, muffins, fresh fruit they also had waffles, sausage, eggs and yogurt. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Teisha O
Muscatine1, General Manager at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great birthday for your daughter. Please have your family members contact our Sales Department for dates that are available for their birthday parties as well. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here 3 nights for a family gathering. This is an old hotel in need of some TLC. The shower head in my room was rusted and the water first came out yellow. The sink drain was also rusted. The wallpaper is peeling. The sheets were clean and I think for the most part the housekeeping staff does what they can; however they did not clean the bathroom floors during our entire stay. The price is cheap but you get what you pay for. If I were you, I would look into the newer hotels nearby. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Nichole S, Director of Sales at Hotel Muscatine Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for staying with Clarion Hotel Muscatine. We are working on property updates all the time. We hope you would try us again in the future once we have more updates done.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I stayed on 8-8-12. It was a nice price for a good size king room. I judge a hotel by the quality of its bed linens and this place did well on that count. Nice sheets and duvet, lots of pillows. It was clean but a little old and outdated. The staff was nice. The swimming pool isn't big enough to be useful for anything other than little kids splashing each other. The bar was ok for a quick drink and the waitress was nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with Clarion Hotel Muscatine. We are glad you enjoyed the bed and bedding. We are working on updating our property all time. We really work hard to keep the property clean and on staff well trained and friendly. Hope you stay again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Muscatine
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Muscatine
#5 of 7 in Muscatine
Columbus Motel Columbus Junction
Columbus Motel Columbus Junction
#1 of 1 in Columbus Junction

Been to Hotel Muscatine Iowa? Share your experiences!