“Clean, New, and Roomy”

Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed while traveling through on I-80. It was almost empty on an August Saturday night, so that was nice. Totally quiet. Totally clean with very comfortable beds. Everything looks brand new. On the main floor the ceilings are really high so the room feels really big. Bathroom was really large and nice. Breakfast was adequate with waffles, yogurt, two kinds of cereal and one kind of milk, tiny muffins, biscuits and gravy, sausage circles, and square eggs to go on the muffins. Not as much variety as some hotels but my family was happy with the choices. The dining area is really pretty with a wall of windows overlooking a pond and some fields.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Angie B, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I'm happy to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. Every Saturday night this August, we were either full or well over half full, but the hotel is so quiet in spite of that. It's so peaceful and relaxing! I'm also glad that your family was happy with the breakfast choices. We've been working on improving our breakfast bar, and I think we're headed in the right direction! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Boulders Inn & Suites Newton

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We couldn't believe how nice this hotel was. In the middle of nowhere. Our room was large and well appointed. Huge bathroom that held all our junk. The breakfast was just ok, there was no half and half for our coffee, and the only fruit was an apple. All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: Get a room away from freeway
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were so impressed with the hotel. I agree about the bathrooms. They're so spacious, and I would love to have a bathroom that size in my house! If you have any suggestions on things you would like to see on the breakfast bar, please let us know. We hope you'll be back to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is brand new hotel. Everything was very clean, the rooms are huge with huge bathrooms. The staff is so nice and accommodating. I had a large group in the hotel, everyone was satisfied. Great location!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Angie B, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you so much for such a positive review! I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and found the accommodations to your liking. Our rooms and bathrooms are quite large! I would love to have a bathroom that size in my home. And our location right off of I-80 makes us so easy to find and accessible! Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our hotel as well. We've been open over a year now, but my staff and I all take a huge amount of pride into maintaining the "brand new" feeling. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Boulders Inn & Suites Newton appears very new. A lot of the interior sign-age is copy paper. Our king suite was very nice and comfortable. The living space couch and chair were above quality for $99 a night kings. Several wall plugs for all the electronic gadgets we need to charge. No work space desk but my wife did fine curled up on the couch with her lap top. There was also a small breakfast bar with a stool in the kitchenette (microwave, refrigerator - no freezer, sink). Wide halls are a plus when steering a luggage cart into your room. The king bed was rather high so my wife laughed when she saw it but she was able to get in with out the step stool that is available by request. Over all a very spacious, clean hotel with great views of a pond and rolling hills out the back. Also convenient gasoline station in connecting parking to fuel up before you hit the road.

I hope we travelers are able to do our part in keeping this hotel clean and new looking. It is not the maids that trash the hotels. They do their best with the time given for each room. The Newton area has several tired hotels if we treat this one as the guests we are hopefully it will stay Newton's best stay. We will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichiganDiesel
Angie B, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our accommodations to your liking. The spaciousness of our rooms is definitely above par! And thank you for noticing what a wonderful job our housekeeping staff does. They take a lot of pride in their work and strive to make every guest feel like they are the first ones that have stayed in a room. Oh, and our permanent signs were ordered last week so hopefully, the next time you stay, the copy paper signs will have been replaced! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed there recently during the Cellular 250. It seemed busy but you would never know it by the noise level. It was very peaceful. The hotel itself is very clean, spacious and beautiful. The king suite we stayed in was incredibly spacious with a small kitchen area, large living space and exceptionally comfortable bed. The bathroom was again spacious and very clean. I loved the modern luxurious feel of the hotel. The location is great... a very short distance from the track and not far from the busy Des Moines area. The only part that was somewhat disappointing was the breakfast. It said breakfast was served until 10:00 am and we ventured down around 8:45 to find everything was pretty much gone. We asked if more would be put out and they said that "Once it's gone, it's gone." All that was left was a few procesed eggs and sausage patties and a few store bought muffins. I try to eat healthy and I really didn't have any choices. There was no bread for toast, no fruit, or anything that I felt I wanted to eat. There was, however, a package of instant oatmeal which I was able to warm up and eat. If the breakfast would have been better, it would have been a 5-star experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kara W
Angie B, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

First off, I would like to apologize for your experience at breakfast. Our policy is to keep breakfast stocked from 6am-10am, and restock it so it is available to everyone, no matter what time they choose to come eat. I will address this situation with my staff and can assure you that it will not happen again. I'm glad that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and I hope you will come back and see us again sometime. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were looking for a hotel near Altoona, most were already booked for our trip, when I came across the Boulders in Newton. It is well worth the extra few miles out of town. Beautiful location and wonderful service. We will be back!

Room Tip: The only suggestion I would have, would be to have a few chairs on the balcony outside of the bar/br...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I'm so glad you came a little further down the road to find us. Our location, right off the interstate, makes it perfect for quick access to the Altoona/Des Moines area. Your suggestion of adding chairs on the balcony is a great one. There is a lovely view looking out over the pond towards the speedway and I would love for people to take advantage of that. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to submit a review!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay. Some comments on previous reviews - it seems they have listened because there is now a hook on the wall outside the tub/shower to hang your towel while showering. The lobby and bar/breakfast area look very nice - clean and decorated and larger than most. There is a very nice deck out there. Also, there is a small banquet/meeting room downstairs that opens out onto another deck. (you walk into the hotel lobby on floor two cause the lot is sloped and there are rooms in the back at the lower level) They had the usual items for breakfast - scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, toast, jelly, waffles, apples, cereal, milk, OJ, etc.
Our room was 203 and very spacious. It is on the main floor but there is an elevator. Had a large sitting area with a loveseat, chair, coffee table, nice big wall mounted TV, spacious and clean bathroom. All the usual little toiletries - soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, make up remover. Had a hair dryer. AND - small kitchen area with a sink, microwave, refrigerator, small bar with one stool (no plates, cutlery, etc. just ice bucket and plastic cups). Very quiet in the halls (but we weren't there on a raceway weekend). Very comfy bed with four of those smaller sized pillows that are popular these days. Also, a nice, white lightweight comforter. The staff, both morning and night were friendly and helpful. This is right next to the interstate with quick on and off and you are conveniently located to the racetrack. We would recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: The 200s are on the main floor with the breakfast area/bar. Our room - 203 - was wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizatutor
Angie B, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I'm happy that you noticed the new hooks as well. We take our guests feedback very seriously and do everything in our power to improve based on guest suggestions. Thank you so much for the recommendation, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#4 of 8 in Newton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton

Been to Boulders Inn & Suites Newton? Share your experiences!