“Ring around the pool, <60 degrees in "breakfast" area”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Newton
Marion
“Ring around the pool, <60 degrees in "breakfast" area”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We had a room by the pool. We did not swim in it because there was a rusty ring at the water line and the ceiling tiles above the pool area were loose and looked like they were ready to fall in the water! There were water stains all over the rest of the tiles. The breakfast area was just above freezing in the morning (this is not exaggerating, it was COLD) and there was just toast and some Sara Lee pastries that had been cut in half in a plastic display case. At least they had coffee. The mattress we slept on was saggy and hard. I don't see the point in staying here even if it's just to sleep because you won't sleep! There were a few kids having a pool party and their hollering and running around just outside the room was very loud. At the very least, get a room that is not by the pool, especially if you turn in early.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank phoggy10
Kimberley P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
I am sorry to hear your stay with us was not to your liking. Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your family. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
thousand oaks
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We got there at 4 PM. there were two staff members present and only 3 cars in the parking lot. When they saw we had a Coupon Hotel travel book they did not want to talk to us. when we asked for an ADA compliant hadicapped room they replied thay had "just " rented out the last one. This with only 3 cars in the parking lot!! Tried to get us to use an alternate room which was totally in adequate for the toilet use.

Room Tip: Pass up Ameri Best inns
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank j n
Kimberley P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
I am so sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback, as it is greatly appreciated. I appologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the future. Have a great day!

Travellers are raving about these Newton hotels

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Well when we got to this hotel (let me tell you it was not easy to find the entrance) we walked in and the front lady was talking to a bunch of semi drives for like 5 min and there were BUGS in the LOBBY!! Than we walk into our room and it is blistering hot!! We turned on the air condition and what do you know, it doesnt work!!! We walked into the bathroom.. and the panels on the ceiling are MISSING!!!!! We turned on the water.. i doesnt work!! At this point we are angry and than they turned the water on and guess what... NO hot water!!!!! And the matteresses are yellow and stained with one sheet over it.. this was the worst hotel i have been in BY FAR!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank PaytonJones
Orange City
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I have never felt the need to rate a hotel before, but this one was so bad that I couldn't let the opportunity pass by. Dirty, run down, hardly any breakfast available and the condiments are communal - gross! There was a hose running into the pool and hot-tub with cold water to keep them full. I couldn't bring myself to go barefoot anywhere in the room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank N T
CA
Reviewed 20 October 2012

It may be off the beaten path, but its worth a shot. I got a chance to meet the owner and really get to know him and his plans for this property. Being in Hospitality myself it was nice to deal with someone directly who is truly vested in making sure your stay is comfortable as possible. Sure I have ideas that can have an immmediate impact but I know for a fact that much has been already invested in improvements and more are to come. For now you get a good honest value on a comfortable night stay. Being a Nascar fan, It was cool to see some trailers parked there for the upcoming Nascar race in Newton. If you look around they have a nice pool table and arcade room and a big indoor putting green. I wasn't a biscuits and gravy guy for breakfast until I got there but I tell ya it hit the spot and got us ready fro our drive into Chicago. When I got back home to California I sent them a gift that I think they can share with their future guests who enjoy golf.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carlo B
Boiling Spring Lakes, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This was the worse Americas Best Value Inn we have stayed in and will never use this chain of hotels again. The hotel is huge but not kept up. They placed us in an area by the pool and had to walk thru a poorly lite hallway to get there. The pool and hot tub were so old we were not willing to take a chance to using it. The beds were comfortable but because of the whole vibe I stripped the bed to make sure there weren't bed bugs. The chair in the room was broken down and we didin't use the shower because of its condition. The breakfast was cereal, toast, coffee and juice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pelicanpoint
Maple Plain, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We should have ran when we pulled into the parking lot and not only seen the garbage can full but what should have been three more garbage cans laying around it. It was like a scene from the movie Hot Tub Time Machine. Looking at the pictures on the internet it looked great but I was not even sure the place was open when we went to check in. No one at the front desk, not a light on in the building and that is Just the start. When someone finally gave us a key and we went to our room it looked like a crime scene with something splattered all over the walls and curtains that looked like blood! God only knows how much other DNA was spread through out the rest of the room.Then onto the hot tub and pool... i was not really a big fan of the brown scum that was all the way around the pool like the water had not been changed since the roaring 1920's but I was excited to hear from some of the other reviews that the hot tub had been drained at sometime so I was glad to hear that. My parents staying in the room next to me turned on the AC and tripped the smoke alarm which I'm glad to at least see worked. I like others would run FAR FAR away if even looking at this motel because I think the only good reviews that have been posted about this place were from employees who didn't want to do anything else, or the owners trying to make it look better than it really is

Room Tip: I could not think of a positive about this place other than find another place!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Michael C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!