“Disgusting”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Newton
Milford, Nebraska
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Me, my sister and my 7 year old niece, were on our way to Maine and we were just looking for a place to get some rest for the night before we had to drive many hours...I have worked in a hotel for over a year so I am very observant of things that take place in hotels and I was really not impressed one bit. When we checked in the person at the front desk was rude and not very helpful. We made our way to our room and the hallway smelled badly of smoke, when we walked in the room the light did not turn on, the floor was wet and the worst part was the room had a strong smell of paint. I don't know if they recently painted but I had a headache all night and my sister who was 7 months pregnant at the time was very uncomfortable. The t.v. Was not plugged in and we could not plug it in because of the large entertainment center would have been hard to move. The breakfast was ordinary nothing special. The Internet did not work and when my sister called the gentleman was very nice and offered to try to get it fixed. As an employee of the hotel industry I was very ashamed of this place. I know it is not that hard to make a clean comfortable place for people to stay after a long day of driving or whatever else. I will never stay here again and I think we were very overcharged.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Slingg09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Missouri
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This is an older property, in its prime it was a very nice Best Western. Nevertheless, it has been renovated and is quite acceptable. Nothing fancy, just decent basic economy lodging. Nothing really bad to say but nothing really great.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
iowa
Reviewed 5 September 2010

My husband and i stayed here two years ago and had a great experience so we wanted to stay again when we were traveling with friends... it was terrible! There was a huge hole in the wall...crickets in the bathroom....the hot tub was out of order which is not a big deal but the tables all had mildew on them... alot of it.... it was really gross.... when we checked out the manager was really rude and tried to overcharge us. we paid 78.... but 30...was too much for this place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank mjht76

Travellers are raving about these Newton hotels

West Dundee, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Where do I begin? We first pulled in to the parking lot and thought the place had been vacated because the parking lot was full of weeds and cracks...but there were flowers in front so I went in. I have to say the front desk lady was nice the whole time, but could not help the ways of the hotel. The key we were given did not work-she told us to pull around back to have the easiest access to our room,(which was thoughtful)but after getting everything I needed out of the car, went up the stairs, and the key didn't work. Put all the stuff back in the car, drove around to the front and went to our room-which was clean, except for the wet washcloth left in our shower-gross. The phone did not have a working front desk button so I had to call the front desk like I was making a local call. The pool was nice, but we had to prop it open with a chair because we couldn't get out of the pool area because the door was jammed shut and because it was stifling in there. Also, the hot tub had tape across it saying it needed repairs. There were no ice makers that worked in the whole building which made for really gross milk in the morning that we had bought before getting there..... We paid around 95$ for that room and when I mentioned even receiving a discount because of all the problems..she said,"don't bet on it-not from our manager". I did forget deoderant and a toothbrush-both of which she pleasantly provided for me. Our bed was very comfortable, but we needed more pillows. I have never experienced anything like this...so many things going wrong in one night. They had one computer you could have access to, but as far as using your cell phone-which you might need in case the phone doesn't work in your room-you probably won't be able to get a signal. so good luck to you if you stay there!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Margie50
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We traveled to my Finacee's hometown for a family member's funeral. While they did have a "Grief" rate, what they didn't have was a customer freindly attitude.
#1 - bathroom light flickering.... somplaint answered with someone bringing us the WRONG type of bulb. We went back to the desk on our way to the funeral home and it was replaced upon out return.
#2 - Bathroom shower would NOT allow full flow of water through the shower head. Half a stream of water from the shower and a bathtub full at your feet. I mentioned it but they didn't offer to move us or attempt to fix it as far as I could tell.
#3 - the 1st day we forgot our Do Not Disturb sign...so I had to go get new towels and such at the desk, but the 2nd day they didn't even make the bed.
#4 - while getting ready for the Church service the Iron leaked water all over my fiancee's silk shirt. Then the 2nd Iron from the front desk had some sort of stach build up and left spots on his other dress shirt.
We wanted to switch rooms, but every night we got back and were just too tired to deal with it.
** Wifi worked great - AT&T and Verizon cell service worked in the room. Breakfast in the morning was decent. The King sized bed was comfy.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CoyoteQ
Wright City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Stayed here for ten nights during Dec of 09 while installing a printing press at a local factory. Great rate (@$40/night) due to the length of the stay, and the number of people on the crew. With that in mind always call for reservations at this hotel. They will negotiate if you speak to them in person, whereas the best rate I saw on the net was $68. My room (103) was very roomy with a comfortable bed (bed more comfortable than the Holiday Inn Express in downtown), and microwave/fridge in the room. The age of the hotel was apparent in the bathroom, but nothing gross. Definitely nicer inside than outside. Staff was courteous, helpful, and they obviously need/want business. One of their wireless routers was on the fritz during my stay, so that had to be dealt with, but otherwise it was alright. My iphone got virtually NO reception in or out of the building. Several restaurants within walking distance including the best one in town, The Okoboji Grill. Also Culver's, Perkins, Senor Tequila, KFC/Taco Bell, Subway & Pizza Ranch.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Quad Cities
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Well when the first bug crawled across the floor I took care of it but didn't worry too much about it. Then when the kids saw a big black bug crawling around in the bath tub I started taking a closer look. Turned on the lamp and in the corner was a group of 7 spider egg sacks and a pile of insect bodies underneath.

Well my friend went to the front desk while I and our kids got ready for the pool. We had stayed here so we could swim and relax after a long day at Adventureland. Well instead of enjoying ourselves we were back and forth to the front desk while they called in a cleaning crew. When we should have been swiming we were repacking and lugging our stuff up to the second floor.

Good news is that the new room appears to be bug free. However the shower soap dish is missing leaving an ugly hole in the tile and there is black stuff in what is left of the caulk around the tub.

They are repainting the outside so hopefully they are going to be heading into the interior next. The pool area was missing lights and was dark. The breakfast area looks nice but after experiencing the lack of cleaning I hesitate to eat here.

What really bothers us is that we paid full price for this room and nothing except for a 'sorry' for our ruined evening. Things happen but I then expect some kind of compensation for inconvience and disgust. I will not return to give them a second chance because they don't seem to care that I do. I would suggest for the price to head farther down the road.

• Disliked — Bugs in room and dark pool room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank snap21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Days Inn Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Colfax Inn
Colfax Inn
#2 of 2 in Colfax

Been to Quality Inn Newton? Share your experiences!