“This place was well worth the money and time!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Xaragua

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montrouis
Le Xaragua
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Montrouis
Alachua, Florida
“This place was well worth the money and time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

This was my seventh stay in Montrouis, Haiti. I am usually there at least three to four times per year. I have always stayed elsewhere until two weeks ago. The hotel is super quiet, the pool is so worth an evening swim every afternoon after performing medical mission work for 7 hours each day. The beach is gorgeous and the grounds are very well kept. The owners are very polite who just so happen to be a surgeon and the other an anesthesiologist. The rooms are outdated in America's standards, but very suitable for a place to safely crash at night. The buffet breakfast and dinner were great and staff were very kind and there to serve. The day we were scheduled to leave the country, we needed to leave the hotel at 6 a.m. and the owner had the breakfast ready at 6 instead of the normal time which is 7. I really thought that was a very kind gesture. The hotel is constantly making small improvements. I spoke to two other folks who had stayed anywhere from four to six different times throughout the past year and have loved every bit of it. The wifi is great downstairs in the lobby and sometimes patchy in rooms. The rooms have A/C every night from around 5p.m. to 6a.m. The pics on this site do accurately resemble the property presently.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank onthatdove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Our team of 17 spent the first week of September 2013 at Le Xaragua hotel. The hotel is on the water and provides beautiful sunsets. The employees are very friendly and supportive. The food was plentiful and ranged from average to good depending on the day. The hot water was a hit or miss and the AC runs during the night only. The hotel is 40 years old and has not been updated but the rooms are big and clean. We used the meeting room for a 3 day teachers conference for 77 teachers. It was tight but worked. The meeting room has AC. The manager, Isi a nice man, was available and aims to please. The overall opinion of our team was the hotel was a 2 but the view & the pool were a 5. Remember this is in a 3rd world country. We have scheduled the hotel again for 2 mission trips in 2014.

Stayed September 2013
4 Thank paradisefoundDuck
Florida, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Our team stayed here in March of 2012. This hotel is on the west coast of Haiti, over an hours drive north of Port au Prince. You actually have to go through Mont rouis north before you get here.

The hotel lies within gated grounds. It is very nice comparatively. Remember you are in a third world country. The grounds were well kept, and the 'resort' fronts the ocean. I seem to recall there was a tennis court on the grounds as well as a pool.

The meals were excellent. Remember to get to your mealtime on time, as this is not an all-you-can-eat buffet. Once its gone, there is no more food laid out. Drinks included bottled water, coffee, hot tea, and soda for dinner. For breakfast the same choices except juice in place of soda.

No television, but there is wifi available in the lobby. Some of our team were able to access wifi from the balconies from their rooms. Wifi was sometimes intermittent, but we were thankful to be able to use it as it was available.

Mattresses were ok, but older. The air conditioners were only activated at night. In March, I could have slept with the doors open, but in fear of mosquitoes (malaria) we did not. Hot water was not always available, so be prepared for cold showers. This is Haiti.

In general, this was a pleasant stay for me. We were on the third floor, so lugging suitcases up three flights of stairs was not fun, but doable.

Room Tip: All rooms are front to back, so each gets an ocean view. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank camera_gypsy
Lima, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

The hotel is older so you can not really compare it to hotels in the usa. You are in a different world, poverty all around you. Beautiful ocean views and awsome sunsets on one side of the hotel and poverty at it's worst on the other side. I went there with a short term mission trip with my church, the food was plentiful and even if it wasn't american we were eating better than most people in Haiti. I always felt safe and well taken care of.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank servant_45891
East Timor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed as 'day visitor', paid $90 for 2 persons ($45 each) for a room, breakfast, lunch and access to swimming pool and beach. We were advised that the rate for the use of beach/swimming pool only was $25 per person, so $45 incl. food and room sounded a good deal.

I believe in their golden years the hotel should have been a beautiful beach resort.
The restaurant and the swimming pool area was still well maintained and pleasant.

The room was spacious, two queen size beds, nice view. The bathroom was depressing, required renovation but surprisingly hot water was available.

The food we got was simple. For breakfast we had toast, omelet and coffee. The buffet lunch included chicken, beef, fried green banana, rice, chips, vegetables and two types of soft drinks. The quantity offered at the buffet was not large compared to the number of guests. Surprisingly there were more than 20 people having lunch there. We were slow and found ourselves towards the end of the queue. There wasn't much food left, so it was not quite 'eat as much as you like' but rather we felt unspoken pressure from the server that we should not ask for more than what was served (although they might have given more if we demanded).

As to the beach, I was not sure if it was a private beach belonging to the hotel, since local people were having a stroll. A few tried to sell something to us but they were not pushy and left us in peace once we declined.

In conclusion, I say the experience itself was not bad, but not great either, and I felt the price was not attractive enough for me to return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank greylourie
Les Cayes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

I was looking looking for a place to spend four days with my fiance and her mother visiting from the USA. I went to this place because of the reviews on tripadvisor. But we were so dissatisfied that we only stayed for 2 days.
The hotel is old and is need of major updates or even complete rehab. The rooms and the bathrooms are dirty. You sit on the beds and they crack. We were given one towel per rooms and one pillow per bed. The a/c did not work in both rooms we booked. There were no refrigerators, radios, clocks, phones or TVs in the rooms. The doors and windows of the rooms seem so weak that we were scared to leave even our clothes there.
Customers are forced to book their room with at least two meals. When we calculate how much were the meals- about 50 dollars each for three meals a day (the concierge says it is 37 dollars). All this to eat at a buffet with very little food options and quality. If you arrive 10 minutes after the beginning of the buffet, there are only scraps left (it happened to me three times out of 5 meals). For a country like Haiti with so many fruits and vegetable choices, it is unacceptable that they offer such a poor buffet. Notice that the restaurant and the bar were closed while were there.
The internet was not accessible from the rooms. So you have to come to the lobby to get signals(very slow). There is no entertainment other than a radio and a speaker. No workout rooms. No running tracks. The beach is dirty and not maintained.
This place looks like somewhere the owner is just collecting as much money as possible before abandoning the place. This is a shame for such a wonderful setting. No wonder why tourists do not want to come to Haiti.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank YvonLesCayes

Travellers are raving about these Montrouis hotels

West Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2007

I stayed here with a group of 20 other Americans for a Mission Trip from October 26, 2007 - November 2nd, 2007! Upon Arrival, it sure didn't seem like a mission trip at all! This gorgeous oceanfront beach property is one of the most beautiful I've ever visitied! It had some of the most amazing sunsets and views of the mountainous islands in the west, that I have ever seen! The building is a bit older, but the staff keeps in in tip top shap so it's as good as new! The grounds are well maintained by hand also (see the picture of the machetter kids!) The rooms are exceptional... each with its own large, oceanfront balcony, hot water, and cold A/C! (THE HOTEL DOES SHUT DOWN POWER DURING THE DAY THOUGH HOWEVER DUE TO THE FACT THAT EVERYTHING IS RAN OFF OF A GENERATOR! IT WAS FINE THOUGH... STILL PLENTY OF LIGHT AND COOL OCEAN BREEZES!) 3 delicious meals with drinks are also included for free during the stay! They have plenty of culligan water all over the place as well as coke products for free too! There really are soo many great things to say about this place! I know this review is very scattered with my thoughts, but this is the first time I've been inspired to write a review for someplace I've stayed! I HAVE TRAVELED TO NUMEROUS GORGEOUS ISLANDS ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND THIS PLACE DEFINITELY RANKS IN MY TOP 5 FOR NATURAL BEAUTY! I ALSO LIVE IN FLORIDA 10 MINUTES FROM THE OCEAN, SO IT'S NOT THAT I WAS ONLY HYPNOTISED DUE TO THE FACT THAT I WAS NEAR A BEACH! THIS HOTEL IS TRULY A REMARKABLE PROPERTY THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE! THIS HAS TO DEFINITELY BE ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO STAY IN HAITI, AND ESPECIALLY ONE OF THE SAFEST WITH THE UN STAYING AT THE PROPERTY AS WELL!!!!! Highly recommended!!! Please check out my candid photos that I posted and feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions! Thanks!

• Liked — Incredibibly nice peice of property! Incredible views comparable to the Greek Isles!
  • Disliked — The Haitian salespeople will really annoy the crap out of you unless you tell them to go away.
  • Stayed November 2007
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank anthonychillemi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrouis
Wahoo Bay Beach Hotel
Le Gou-T Hotel
Le Gou-T Hotel
#2 of 2 in Saint-Marc
Royal Decameron Indigo Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Le Xaragua? Share your experiences!