I don't write reviews often but this was such a wonderful experience that I really wanted to share.
Let's start with a con and there was only one. The wifi wasn't working. But as long as you get the wireless card at the airport (15G for US$22), you will be fine. And you won't be spending that much time online anyways. It's the Maldives.
Here's are all the pros. All the reasons you should stay here:
- Facilities: We stayed on 3 islands and the Beach Villa was by far the best. It was the only guesthouse that was set up as a villa. There are a total of 3 villas only so it is private. And you can sit in the garden right outside and read and see a portion of the private beach from the garden. (Tip: Make sure to bring mosquito repellent as all the islands have a lot of mosquitos.)
- The Island: UKULHAS is definitely one of the better islands. It is big enough where you can get 3-4 different type of beach experiences but small enough where you still can walk the whole island in 20 minutes. The beaches are cleaner than the other islands and it's a newly developed island where you won't feel completely out of place like some other smaller islands but still exclusive enough where you might see a couple of other tourists total a day. (Tip: Do a walk around the island first to plan out your beach spots as there are a few different types of beach spots with different views.)
- The Food: The pro isn't about the food itself. The food was on par to the other guest houses in Maldives. The difference is that they do restaurant delivery right to your villa and you can choose from a wide selection from a menu. (Tip: Order their breakfast. Their breakfast is excellent.)
- The Excursions: The excursions are flexible but you should definitely try the BBQ dinner. The BBQ dinner is in the garden right next to the Villas. (Tip: Go fishing first so you can catch the fish and eat them for the BBQ dinner.)
- The Family: Zamicko and has brothers are friendly, knowledge, and quick to respond. (Tip: Communicate with them on the level of snorkeling that fits you best.)
- The Private Beach: The Beach Villa has their own "private beach". It is part of the larger beach but the best part is that it is less than a 10 second walk from The Beach Villa. (Tip: Go out at night with a flashlight and you'll see hundreds of crabs on the beach.)
- The Value: For me, finding value is the most important. I would never go to the Maldives and spend thousands of dollars at a resort when you can spend a few hundred dollars and get a very similar experience. The Beach Villa is guesthouse built like a resort. (Tip: If you are an alcoholic, then you should stick to the resort. If you can handle a few days without a drink, then don't waste money at a resort and spend a few days at The Beach Villa. You won't regret it.)
This the most beautiful place, I've ever been. The villas are exactely on the beach, the ocean water is very clean and full with amazing fish life. We spent great time. Our hosts were really friendly guys, espacially Iako and xamiko. They organized us interesting trips on which we saw the most beautiful places, go snorkeling, entertain us with fantastic music concerts.
At the beginning of April, we spent 7 nights at the Ukulhas Beach Villa with our 4 children (aged 17,16,14 and 7), therefore we rented the three rooms making up the guesthouse. Everything was absolutely perfect from beginning to end, thanks to our hosts Zamicko, Yakko, Zihakko and Thathi.
Zamicko organized our transfer in speedboat from the airport to the villa and even came to greet us at the airport, which we really appreciated!
When we arrived on the island, our luggage were taken charge of and taken to the villa for us.
A light meal was ready at the villa, which we also really appreciated after our long journey to get there!
All three rooms were extremely comfortable and clean: it was fully equipped with a small fridge, blow-dryer, several international electrical plugs, TV, mobile phone to contact our hosts if need be, coffee, tea, aircon, ceiling fan, kettle etc..
Each of the three rooms has a little private terrace with a garden area, which has a table where the meals can be served. Moreover, the garden was wonderful, lush and full of flowers.
We had chosen the full board option and could choose whether we wanted our meals served either at the guesthouse or directly at the restaurant, which was very close to the villa (a 2 minute walk!). Our whole family greatly appreciated to be able to choose between local specialties and western food. The Maldivian breakfast (Mashuni) delighted us all and we even left with the recipe, thanks to Thathi’s demonstration!
An excellent traditional Maldivian lunch was even served to us on the beach!
We also had the luck to enjoy a very nice guitar concert in the garden! Bravo Zihakko and Thathi!
The beach is unbelievably close to the villa, barely 10 meters away from it, and had a little shaded area, especially reserved for the guesthouse’s guests. (six chaise longues, as well as a large table, benches and parasols).
Snorkelling can be done directly from the beach, which is also perfectly adapted to games and swimming even for those who prefer not to snorkel! At night time, you can observe hundreds of little crabs and hermit crabs on the beach: our children were delighted!
We especially loved the quiet nature of the island (no cars, only motorcycles). Ukulhas’s reputation as a clean and eco-friendly island is clearly deserved: the beach is cleaned every morning. The water is also unbelievably clean and clear. Like everywhere in the Maldives, the coral has unfortunately suffered (from water temperature changes), but its colors are already starting to come back! The fish were also extraordinary (very colourful, varied species).
We did the following excursions:
Accompanied by Yakko and with a privatised boat!
Yakko was a perfect guide and adapted to the pace of all our children. He was even nice enough to give us, at the end of our stay, all the pictures and videos he took of us with his GoPro; the perfect souvenir! Thanks Yakko!
Overall, our hosts took great care of us for the whole week. We really appreciated this ‘personalised’ service’. We really hope to come back to Ukulhas soon, and we ever do, we would choose the Beach Villa without the shadow of a doubt!
Again, thank you to all four of you (Yakko, Zihakko, Thathi and Zamicko) for your kindness and this unforgettable experience. Thathi and Zihakko, we wish you all the best for the arrival of your baby girl!
Firstly ! Us were waited here ! It is very pleasant and feels at every turn ! Everything is clearly organized
It was a very pleasant three weeks stay. The rooms are clean (every week staff made cleaning) , spacious and comfortable. The staff, the owners and their family are very friendly, always near to help us to organize comfort and give all answer on all our questions (believe me questions was very much)
When medical assistance was needed, I was provided help and necessary medicine all free !
Thanks to Villa, we met unforgettable people and they families and friends ! and we tried many activities with Yakko safari, snorkeling,Fishing.With Zihakko we fed fish from our hands,really his is an amazing sight ! and we come on others islands,is many,many times ) too several times concerts were organized on Villa area and for us sung songs.Everything was perfect.
We will not forget three weeks stay on Ukulhas.
Thanks again and see you in a few years :-)
Many thanks for owners of Beach Villa!!!
Me and my husband searched romantic, comfort, silence,best beach and we have fownded it in Ukulhas! our room was big and clean, I liked high ceiling and big window,also,we have all of we need-TV,condition,refrigerator,hairdryer and others...
Every day we had good breakfast near our doors! (on our choice,because every evening, before, they asked for us,which we prefer)...and in our last day we had our breakfast on the beach(very close)-it was great!very impressed us...
We spent exellent few days in your place,and never forget beautiful garden with a lot of flowers, light room and your kindness!!!
Ukulhas will always be in our hearts!
We spend 7 days at beach villa with our two kids (2 &5ys) and we don’t want to miss this great experience.
Arriving at the airport we were picked up by Samikko, one of three brothers running the Beach Villa.
At the harbor directly in front of the airport we took the speed boat to Ukulhas (with on stop at Rasdhoo). Although we’ve had pretty tough weather conditions our journey went pretty smooth -Our biggest compliments to coral speed boat with their great and really experienced driver.
The Beach Villas are new (finished in Oct 2016) and clean with a little terrace and a sandy area great for the kids to play and for a perfect Maldevian breakfast in the mornings.
The (bikini) beach is just about 10 steps away from the Beach Villas. There we had “our own” little area with chairs and sun shades. The beach area is cleaned daily. In general Ukulhas is one of the first Maldevian Islands having introduced a waste management system so that the island is very clean overall.
At Beach Villas we’ve had a really great time. Samikko, Yakko, Zihatey and even their families took great care of us providing us with whatever we could think of – from toys for the kids to Mosquito repellent. Having a local mobile phone in the room we could have contacted them whenever we needed assistance.
In general the hospitality on the island is amazing, never felt like tourist but as warm welcomed guests wherever we went to.
At Beach Villas we’ve booked two trips. The first trip was to a Picnic Island next to Ukulhas which is nice to experience your lonely little island. On our second trip we’ve been to a Picnic Island near Rasdhoo which was amazing with a picturesque scenery of turquoise water and endless sandbanks.
Overall we can more than recommend visiting the Beach Villas at Ukulhas. Thank you so much for this great vacation and especially the “special event” on our very last day!
This was our first visit to the Maldives and it was an amazing experience. Maldives are unbelievably beautiful and our hosts, Zamico, Yakko, Chiko and Thahthi made it totally unforgettable.
The beach houses are entirely new, very comfortable, they are about 5-10 seconds walk from the beach. Our favorite part was the south beach however the beach in front of the property is also nice. The beach is very clean, locals remove coral and garbage twice a day. The fauna is amazing: flying foxes, crabs, fishes, baby sharks, rays, etc.. Our hosts took us to a sandbank trip, picnic island, manta ray safari and snorkeling. It was such a great experience like a dream. So don't spare on facultative programs as it is worth each penny.
Our hosts were very friendly. They spare no efforts to make us feel comfortable. They told about their life, played on guitar and sang for us. It made a unique insight into Maldivian island life.
Snorkel as much as you can because it's amazing. You will regret if you don't start on the first day :)- Go to the beach after sunset, when it's completely dark with a torch, you will see hundreds of crabs running on the shore. It's very interesting also with kids.