“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #4 of 12 Ukulhas B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I absolutely agree with the previous comment by joanna - this place is new, well run by very friendly people and highly recommendable as an alternative to resorts. The house reef offers very good snorkelling: we saw many turtles, a small shark, and Nihad the owner took us also to a manta ray safari when we saw 2 mantas. Anzar who takes care of the house in the night time taught us a lot about local life, told us about his experiences of working all around the world and gave a whole lesson about the migration of tuna and other fish in the area.

I also agree about the bad evaluation of the restaurant. Nihad did his best to arrange things well and keep his guests happy, but we would much prefer him to make barbecue in the evening - much tastier than tough fish kebab in Black Y Garden. The breakfast included in our package was good though.

Will be definitely back one day!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kreestalle

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Olsztyn, Poland
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We enjoyed it a lot! The room - very comfortable, with air-con & fan, the bathroom new & clean, fridge & tv. The place/reception /patio- clean, colorful, well-taken care of. The staff- very friendly, helpful in arranging all sorts of activities & events (eg engagement on the beach, with beatifully arranged setting), good beach facilities (deckchairs, parasols & towels), Excellent location- the private beach (where you can sunbathe in bikini) entrance is just in front of the Inn. The night guy at the reception- a mine of information about the Maldives. We used a 3-Day Adventure package, an excellent value for money, packed with well organised attractions like fish hunting on coral reef, or night fishing with BBQ of the catch. The island's atmosphere- very friendly, cosy, quiet. Compared to other islands the beach was relatively clean, though putting some dustbins there would help to keep it cleaner. On some days we were the only users of the beach. In the Inn they have complementary snorkelling gear for guests, so no need to bring your own.The reef is OK, with plenty of various fish, occasionally turtles. The place started only in January this year and is developing. A tip- it's good to wear long-sleeves and leggings for snorkelling at mid-day as even sunscreen 50 doesn't prevent sunburns in the water!

The only drawback was the partner restaurant, Black Y Garden- definitely overpriced for their below-average offer and slow service. An alternaive is the local eatery Central Diner, with also limited but really tasty and so much cheaper food (only tuna noodles, tuna rice, and tuna noodle soup, all freshly cooked). A limited offer of local fruit in shops.

Room Tip: Room 102- a very good choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank joanna p
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Ukulhas is a located in the Ari Atoll, one of hundreds of beautiful islands in the Maldives. This island, however, is not simply a Marriott or Hilton extension. It is filled with real Maldivians, a people that most visitors seldom encounter when visiting this part of the world. Of course, the "resorts" do not have a monopoly on the white sand beaches, perfect temperature, idealic snorkeling, and romantic sunsets. Ukulhas has all of these, and for those who want to enjoy a little local flavor, Ukulhas is a perfect destination. Nehad, the manager at "Coral Reef View Inn" is extraordinarily wonderful man, and went to all lengths to make sure that our trip was filled with comfort and smiles. From breakfast on the beach to night fishing (followed by a wonderful fresh fish grill), our stay at Coral Reef was more than expected. The comfortable and clean lodging is located only steps from the beach, and with only three rooms, the number of guests is at a minimum. The service, however, was superb. There was always someone at the front desk, and the cleanliness of the facility impeccable. Caution..... there are no swimming pools, exercise facilities, motorized water sports, and most importantly for many........ NO ALCOHOL! For those who require this feature, however, there is always a motor boat available somewhere on the island to quickly escort you to a nearby resort where all such 5* extras can be used for a day, evening, or whatever. By the end of the stay, however, I felt quite satisfied in having consumed delectable fish... fresh mango and coconut.. and a variety of other morsels that the Maldivians pride themselves on. This "alternative" to the traditional "island resort package" was a beautiful respite from a much too long European winter. I must say, however, that my one concern was the large quantity of plastic waste along the beautiful pristine beach. Of course, this has become the price we must pay for our less than eco-friendly tourism practices. Frankly, I think we all need to do our share to reduce/eliminate our impact on these fragile spaces.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Terry S
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I was a bit hesitant about booking a room at this hotel at first, since it didn't have any reviews on tripadvisor yet, but boy am I glad I did!

I stayed 4 nights in a spacious room, with a private bathroom, overlooking the cozy backyard. The water and breakfast (consisting of toast, butter, jam, omelette, sausages, coffee and a bottle of water) were complimentary. In my room I had free Wi-Fi, toothpaste, a toothbrush, soap and shampoo as well as flip-flops and a beach towel to bring to the beach. There was also an electric kettle so that I could make my own coffee. In addition, my room had a TV, a DVD player, a cell phone, mini bar, a (huge!) comfortable bed, a wardrobe and very effective adjustable air conditioning. In other words; everything I needed and more!

The transfer from the airport in Male to the island of Ukulhas by air taxi and speedboat went smoothly and was an exciting experience. The hotel owner organized everything for me, all I had to do was provide him with my flight number and arrival (plus departure) time.

The hotel is located just a couple of steps from the beautiful private beach. You never have to worry about the beach getting over-crowded with sunbathers packed like sardines, in fact I had the entire beach all to myself on several occasions. On the beach there were, apart from stunning white sand and turquoise water, parasols and sunbeds for everyone.

If you're looking for a more active holiday the hotel provides many activities such as night fishing, snorkeling safari, island hopping and a free tour of the island. I in particular recommend the night fishing, I managed to catch 3 fish and was offered to eat one (red herring) as part of a free barbeque dinner in the backyard of the hotel. Just make sure you bring some motion sickness pills, if you're prone to seasickness ;)

All in all I had a fantastic stay, much thanks to the genuine hospitality and service of the staff. They all did a terrific job in looking after me and making me feel right at home. I would without hesitation recommend Coral Reef View Inn for anyone going to Maldives! :)
5++ stars!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank johanna_borg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ukulhas
Starry Night at Ukulhas
#2 of 12 in Ukulhas
Thundee Inn
Thundee Inn
#3 of 12 in Ukulhas

Been to Coral Reef View Inn? Share your experiences!