“Good”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Fresno, California
“Good”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay. Staff were always helpful. The hotel is an older, lakeside resort so expect older furnishings and little homemade quirks. I personally like getting out of the corporate world but some might find these quirks less interesting. The indoor pool had thousands of little bugs floating on the surface because it hadn't been skimmed in the morning. Not to nice to swim in. Food was pretty good and the restaurant accommodated my needs. They accommodated the event I was at very very well. The decor is...nautical...again quirky. Overall a good place in a very nice location.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside and pay more for it. The other rooms are back from the lake and more dormitory/mot...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback! Your feedback is helpful so we can continue to strive for improvements with the hotel and our staff's attention to detail. Hope to have you back again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed here for 4 nights for a little "End of School Year" vacation. We had a pool side suite. The two rooms were nice as the kids had their own sleeping area. We didn't know what to expect as there are good and bad reviews on the net. We were pleasantly surprised. Friendly staff, indoor and outdoor pool, beautiful lake view and walking path. Some things are dated, but I found that kinda cool. When we had any issue the staff dealt with it in a timely manner. One area of improvement would be their hot tub area. Kinda dark and dungy. I would stay again in a heartbeat though.

• Stayed June 2014
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for unwinding at The Inn at Okoboji for your end of school year vacation! Your comments are appreciated and thank you for taking the time to write your online review. We hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I absolutely LOVED the Inn at Okoboji. Wonderful guest service, great view of the lake, extremely peaceful & quiet. Absolutely wonderful. The Inn had character, unlike most hotels. I will definitely be back to visit!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Anni R
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete an online review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back again soon!
Iowa
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our company took eighty plus people to the Inn in August. It had been quite a few years since our last visit to the Inn. The Inn is definitely a family destination in the Okoboji area and many of the rooms are built with that in mind.
From a facility standpoint, nothing had changed since our last visit. The bathrooms are still small and lack ventilation fans so everything fogs up after the shower. The mattress had seen some better days and was due for a change out.
The location is perfect with great views of the West Lake from many of the rooms.
Our group had a banquet in the meeting space across the street and everything went off without a hitch. The service was good and so was the food. We even had the chef check on one of the special meals an attendee had ordered.
For the most part, our trip was a success and I think we would stay here on our next trip to the area. We had a few folks who had to wait for their rooms to be ready and some folks thought the bar should stay open later but those are pretty minor.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are in the annex to the West but it's a little out of the way.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cancunkids
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review for The Inn! We sincerely appreciate that you brought your important event to our hotel. Feedback like yours is a valuable tool for us in making improvements and changes for our guests. We appreciate your input and will use it to better our facility and services for the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here during my cousin's wedding and while the rooms are basic, the bed was comfortable and the room clean. But as for a lovely place to gather with friends and family it was perfect. The ceremony was outside under the trees and the reception hall in the upstairs of the main building was lovely. Would highly recommend so a family-gathering destination.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Cyd C.,

Thank you very much for your nice review on Trip Advisor! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments. We are a wedding destination and work hard to make sure every guest has a great experience at The Inn!
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The Inn at Okoboji is delightful! It's an old time resort located right on the lake. It's not fancy, so if you are expecting 5 Star luxury, go elsewhere. However, if you want a vacation spot that is family friendly, with a gracious staff, 2 pools, a lake and a lot more; then this place is for you. My husband, daughter and I spent 2 weeks at the Inn recently. He enjoyed the golf, my daughter fished off the pier every day...(all day) and I sunbathed and read. Very relaxing. Very peaceful. The food in the restaurant was excellent, although I wasn't a fan of the "all you can eat fish fry" on Friday evening. The restaurant staff seemed overwhelmed that particular night. Staying for 2 weeks, we got to know the cleaning staff who were great and thorough. The office staff were always helpful and attentive to our needs. Laurie in the sales office is the best! We met many vacationers who were Inn "regulars"... returning year after year. We made some wonderful new friends and we hope to see them next summer. My only negative comment, being from deep in the heart of Texas, was that the lake and the pool were freezing for July. Of course, we are used to 110 degree temperature, so when a heat advisory was issued at 88 degrees in Okoboji, we giggled. All in all, this is a great place for a family or, perhaps, for someone who just needs some peace and quiet. There's something for everyone at The Inn at Okoboji.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ValeGall
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
I want to first thank you for staying at The Inn at Okoboji! We greatly appreciate your business and the opportunity to serve you and your family for two weeks. You feedback will be shared with our staff and the encouragement will be appreciated by them as well! Looking forward to seeing you again at The Inn!
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I've been going to Okoboji for 27+ years and have never had a negative thing to say about Okoboji...it's our home away from home. I felt that way about The Inn for eight years, well, until this year. My husband and I spent 2 years planning our wedding with the most incredible staff at The Inn. Our wedding weekend went on without a hitch accommodating all 350+ guests, thanks to The Inn. My husband and I were so in love with our experience working with The Inn that we continued to go back each year on our anniversary. In fact, in 2008 we were featured in The Inn's annual catalog. Each year we went back we were greeted by all the staff who went out of their way to make our stay even better than the previous year. For seven years I recommended anyone and everyone to not only visit Okoboji but to stay at The Inn. Unfortunately with the rest of the world, The Inn took a huge hit in the economy. They also took a huge hit in their customer service. Being that our family cabin is down the street we visit the restaurant and pub several times a summer. We have heard cackle amongst the neighbors complaining about their customer service but being biased towards The Inn we never thought twice about it. Our first encounter happened in early June when I went to the pub to order a drink and the bar manager put his hand out and told me to ''hold on'' so he could proceed to yell at his waitstaff infront of customers. The second occurrence happened mid July when the security guard grabbed me with no warning...this was so out of line and unacceptable that the bartender followed us out to apologize. I left a message that weekend with the General Manager, Bar Manager, and Banquet Manager. My message was to simply explain the situation so authority could have a conversation with the security guard about proper etiquette on the job. All I was expecting was to have a brief conversation with management so the security guard on duty could improve his performance. I'm still waiting to hear back from anyone. The third encounter happened last weekend when I tried to talk with the Bar Manager about the security guard situation, again all I was looking for was reassurance that the situation was dealt with. The Bar Manager proceeded to tell me that, ''he doesn't care what I have to say and he wasn't going to listen to me''. He became so escalated that the front desk manager had to ask him to stop yelling at me infront of guests. This time it was the front desk manager who wrote up a complaint and placed it on the GM's desk. I'm still waiting for that phone call as well. I have never left a bad comment regarding anywhere I have ever stayed at, eaten at, etc. but I feel so strongly in the customer service, or lack of, that I had to reach out to anyone considering staying here. If there was a rewards program for The Inn, we would be at the Platinum level which is why I'm so disturbed by my experience there this year. In talking with other staff, it seems as though they are disgusted by how things are being operated as well. It is very obvious that the GM does not care about maintaining the history and reputation of The Inn....a place where so many have claimed their family vacation spot for decades. I strongly advise Okoboji visitors to stay elsewhere. And for Okoboji residents, don't waste your time or money at the restaurant and bar. Chances are you will be greeted by a rude and incompetent manager who treats his staff and customers about as terrible as it gets. My hope is that The Inn can turn it aroud before it's too late as I will be the first person to continue my loyalty to this resort. Until then I welcome anyone in management at The Inn to contact me....but I won't hold my breath.

• Stayed July 2013
10 Thank millertimeMinnesota
TheinnGM1, Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
When you left me a voice mail your number was not audible so when I tried to return the call I did not have the correct number. I also want to tell you I did not receive any type of written complaint as you noted from the front desk clerk. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations and you encountered the issues you did. I have used your comments to further train our staff regarding customer service matters. We strive to be a family tradition in Okoboji and hope you will come to see us again soon!

Travellers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
Northland Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!