“Service & Value Extremely Lacking”
Review of Inn at Okoboji

Inn at Okoboji
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at this resort for a family wedding that was hosted on site. Located on West Lake in Okoboji area. It is clear that the location on the water is what makes this place attractive as most hotels do not have view/location on the water. Bad experience began when we arrived and had dinner in the hotel restaurant. Service was extremely slow that evening despite being the only party in the dining room. Food was average. Waiter spilled a full glass of water on our daughter. We then moved to the pool which is extremely aged. Settled areas around the pool deck have led to standing water/hazards with moldy appearance in these areas. Rooms were extremely disappointing. No money has been invested in these rooms for many years. All rooms have window air conditioners and stand alone dehumidifiers. These devices are VERY loud making if difficult to sleep. Beds were uncomfortable. At 8:45 on the final day of our trip, room service knocked on our door to see if we were out of our room yet. This woke both of our sleeping children and the housekeeper informed us we actually didn't need to be out until noon.

On the final morning of our stay, we ate the breakfast buffet at the hotel. Upon arrival, there half of the food items were gone. We sat at our table for an hour before a staff person asked if we wanted anything to drink. When the waitress brought us water, she once again spilled a glass of water all over our daughter. We promptly got up, notified the manager of our horrible experience, and left.

Property has non smoking rooms but people are standing and walking all over the place smoking. This is not family friendly as I don't like my children inhaling this second hand smoke everywhere we walk.

There are a few staff who seem to be working hard but overall the place seems to be in disarray. Definitely do not recommend the highly overpriced rooms that this resort has. We paid $185 per night for a location that justifies half that rate (even considering that it's in a resort town).

Room Tip: Rooms located towards the lake are old and dirty.
3  Thank Nick G G
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

I am extremely apologetic for your experience. I have called a special meeting to address your concerns and we appreciate your willingness to share. We use our guest feedback, both positive and negative, as a training tool for our staff. Your concerns are noted and we will work hard to prevent these shortcomings in the future. Your experience in no way reflects the standards we strive for. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Inn at Okoboji is a treasure. The location is directly on the water with many great views. There is a dock for swimming and boating, a lakefront walking path, nice pool, restaurant & bar. It is older but full of charm. Our room comfortably slept 4. We enjoyed our stay and would return again.

Room Tip: Many rooms have lake views. Many poolside rooms available.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your nice comments. I will pass this on to our staff and comments like yours are encouraging and appreciated!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The people running the resort were very nice. I do feel (we stayed in an older room) they need to do a real deep clean. I stayed in Marco Island Florida for the same price I guess I expected really clean not perfect. It was a good location to go boating and to the park and out to eat. I like the old pictures and maps in the lobby area nice touch. Maybe a larger area to cook we like to eat breakfast before we go out for the day and the are was rather small, also a frig with a freezer would be nice. The staff does really make up for any shortcomings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Denise,

Thank you for your review and staying with us at The Inn! Your business is appreciated and your feedback will help us continue to improve our resort. We look forward to having you return!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My brother got married at The Inn a few weekends ago. My family and I enjoyed spending the weekend on the shores of West Lake Okoboji. The wedding was fantastic - great food, bar, & service. The hotel staff was accommodating and friendly. Poolside brunch was great! We even enjoyed an All American Lakefront BBQ on 4th of July. The hotel is dated and charming - a true piece of Iowa history. Nothing is new or fancy, but very clean and comfortable. We had a great time!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

amarieb22,

Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback, we truly appreciate your comments and are pleased you enjoyed your time at The Inn at Okoboji. As we work to improve The Inn we are just today starting the installation of new flat screen televisions in all our guest rooms! Last season we installed new beds in 85% of all rooms along with new linen and will continue to strive for improvements. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Spent three nights for a family vacation. One of the original resorts on the lake but room was tidy and nice. Quality of king bed was good. Any shortcoming due to the age of the property is more than compensated for by the quality of the staff. Extremely nice and helpful from front desk to bar to restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marshall L
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Marshall, Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback about The Inn at Okoboji! We sincerely appreciate your choice to stay with us and look forward to another opportunity to serve you. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were going to be in the Okoboji area for a family reunion and began looking for accommodations 7 weeks prior. Most hotels/resorts were sold out so I called the Inn. I made numerous calls before talking to a reservationist. I keep getting rerouted back to the original voice message saying press 1 for reservations. When I did finally talk to someone they said that happens because no one is available to take your call. I left a message and heard back several days later. I made the reservations for a West Lake two bedroom suite to the tune of $355. Plus tax. We arrived and checked in to find accommodations no better than a Super 8 in quality. Old style bathroom, tube type TV's, etc. it was a throwback to the 1980's-90's. We decided to have dinner there that night and there were six of us. Went to their restaurant to find only one other table of 4 dining. It took FOREVER to get waited on, take our order and then receive our sandwiches-over 1 hr! And by the way, my husband paid an extra $1.99 for onion rings with his sandwich and he got 3 onion rings! Then to get our check and pay took another 45 min. All in all, the dinner took 2 hrs by the time we left. What could have gone wrong with the meal did! We complained to the waiter and other staff and only got excuses they had a wedding party upstairs and not enough help. No offer of a discount on our meal, a free dessert or anything. I had put my groceries for the next days' salad in the refrigerator in our room and the next morning I went to make the salad for the reunion. All the food was FROZEN! I called the front desk only to hear the manager wasn't there but maintenance would check it out. Sorry but I will tell the manager. I then have to go to the grocery store, buy new groceries and then make the food for the reunion. The morning I thought I would have to spend visiting with family was spent running to the grocery store! No discount off the room, no discount for bad dining service, no nothing from anyone except I can't help you with that. When I was checking out the next morning the bride from the wedding the night before was at the front desk berating them for all of the terrible problems they encountered with their reception there and their accommodations. My advice.....stay elsewhere where you will have a far more hassle free stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JLoots4125
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

It was nice to talk to you by phone today regarding this experience at our hotel. All the issues you experienced are being prioritized and addressed to the best of our ability. Your experience does not reflect any sort of standard and we have a strong ongoing commitment to our valued guests. Thank you for sharing with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay. Staff were always helpful. The hotel is an older, lakeside resort so expect older furnishings and little homemade quirks. I personally like getting out of the corporate world but some might find these quirks less interesting. The indoor pool had thousands of little bugs floating on the surface because it hadn't been skimmed in the morning. Not to nice to swim in. Food was pretty good and the restaurant accommodated my needs. They accommodated the event I was at very very well. The decor is...nautical...again quirky. Overall a good place in a very nice location.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside and pay more for it. The other rooms are back from the lake and more dormitory/mot...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
twileygm, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback! Your feedback is helpful so we can continue to strive for improvements with the hotel and our staff's attention to detail. Hope to have you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
Northland Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!