“Beautiful room & scenery... but downhill from there!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Port on Lake Panorama

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panora
The Port on Lake Panorama
Ranked #1 of 1 Panora B&B and Inns
Gladbrook, Iowa, United States
“Beautiful room & scenery... but downhill from there!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The room was nice & the view exceptional but everything else was poor! The 1 & only ice machine was broke. The connected restaurant wasn't open for breakfast & there was no complimentary breakfast w/your room at $150 per night! Not even lobby coffee & our machine didn't work in our room so had to go to Casey's for that. They offer pontoon rides(for a price) but were told it was end of season(Aug.10th?) so they discounted $25 off each nite of our stay. There was no one at the desk except when we checked in & around noon the next day but what about since it was a full house & if there was an emergency? At $120 & $150 per night I think they could have afforded some one to be on hand! The hot tub was unusuable & the pool not so clean. The restaurant was a bit pricy for the buffet but the food was good. We were so disgusted w/ the overall experience that we will never stay there again & wouldn't recommend it to our least favorite people!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dot S

Cherokee, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

3 couples went cycling on the RRVT multi-use trail. We chose this inn based on its proximity to the trail and the nice location near the lake. We were not disappointed even though we were a little apprehensive from the reviews. The rooms were clean and had large bathrooms. 2 had fireplaces. Nice gathering room overlooking the lake. Definitely will stay here again.

We at supper in the restaurant around 9 pm. Some of us ate the buffet which was OK. That late in the night, the menu may have been better as the food would be fresher. Those ordering off the menu loved their meals. We ate breakfast buffet there Sunday and it was very good.

Overall, we were all very happy with the experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank AlanJ1112
Port Clinton OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is a small inn located in a quiet town on a quiet lake. We stayed here for 3 nights and had a room with two queen beds with a fireplace and a view of the lake. The room was good size and the bathroom was large. We had limited housekeeping one of the days meaning our bed was made - that was it. ....no housekeeping the others.
There is a pool and a hot tub - both ok - not overly clean.

The lobby is staffed only from 9-5. Dropping off your keys and checking out is on the honor system with a sign out sheet on the desk

We ate at the restaurant attached to the inn. The meals were very good. I had a steak cooked perfectly.

The sunset over the lake was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Born_in_OH
Panora, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I'm moving to Panora from California, purchasing a home on Lake Panorama and needed a place to stay for a month or so. The Lakeside Inn is directley on the water, great veiw so I thought it was a perfect place, hotel gave me a discount for an extended stay.

I checked in, I told the hotel mgr I would need to stay for 2-3 weeks. I stayed 10 days and had 2 days left on my 1st wave of reservations. I arrived at the desk to inform the hotel I needed to extend my stay for 20 more days, I was told I had to check out that day. A cocky young man said they were double booked and I had to leave for two nights then I could come back. I told the ill-manured young man that was not my problem, he insisted I had to leave and the mgr arrived and agreed with his employee.

After arguing several times that day in person and on the phone, I got no-where, they wouldn't give an inch. Now, to put the icing on the cake, another very nice and helpful desk clerk at the hotel told me as I was checking out that she had called the other party in the double booking fiasco and told them the situation, the other party said "NO PROBLEM" they would go to the Conference center to stay and I could keep my room.

I will never go back, I suggest if you choose to ignore these 3 or 4 bad reviews and stay at the Lakeside Inn away, make sure your reservations are written in stone or you may have to hit the pavement like I did. Mgr did offer to get me another room and pay for it, I told him that was not the issue. They kicked out a customer that would have paid for 30 days or more to allow another guest to stay two nights and I was there first. A guest (ME) had to pay the price because of hotel mismanagement by the manager. Very poor service!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Deereman
Ryan K, Vice President at The Port on Lake Panorama, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
I was personally involved from the beginning with this guest. All I can say is I'm not surprised that this guest has chosen to write a negative review, however, please allow me to correct some of the areas of misinformation and then I will allow you, the prospective guest, to decide if I made the correct decision.

First, it's important to know that our hotel only has 22 rooms/suites. Upon this guest's arrival he did NOT have a reservation but did tell me he wanted to check in and wanted to inquire about a possible discount due to the fact that he wanted to stay for an undetermined extended period of time; 2 - 3 weeks maybe up to a month. However, before he checked in, I did explain to the guest that I would NOT be able to accommodate an uninterrupted stay that we had another client who had the hotel completely booked on two different occasions during the time he wished to stay with us. I was however willing to provide him a discount for the time we could accommodate him. The guest told me he would stay and perhaps with some luck someone would cancel and he could then stay without having to leave for those two occasions. I told him if anything became available we would make sure he would get the first option in order to not inconvenience him while staying with us. Unfortunately, that never became an option.

After 10 days with us he inquired as to whether any rooms had become available and he was told by the front desk that none were available. He then asked to speak with me again. Upon meeting with this guest a second time he explained to me that he had no interest in leaving and then actually suggested I call the incoming client, who was due to arrive in two days, and tell them we made a mistake and double booked a room and to suggest they make other arrangements so he would not have to leave. I apologized and explained I would not be able to do that. He then became upset and told me I was stupid and didn’t know how to run a business; that I was throwing out a customer willing to spend more than $2,500 with us. I reminded him that I had explained to him before he checked in that he would have to check out while staying with us due to being sold out on two different occasions. In an attempt to try and satisfy this guest and hoping that he would return to stay with us after two days away (there was no guarantee he would actually return to stay with us), I did offer to pay for his room at the nearby Conference Center Hotel for the two nights he would have to be gone. He responded that if he had to check out that he would not be back. (At no time was I or any of my employees rude to this guest about the situation.)

In fact, not wanting to lose this customer, I was able to contact another hotel property we own and secure a room for this guest for his requested additional time frame, never having to change rooms and I was even able to offer the room to this guest at 50% off the normal rate (we own that hotel also). He refused and said he was either staying here or he was leaving and never coming back. I again apologized and explained I did not have any other options for him and I that I would NOT eject a guest who had reservations with us simply because he didn't want to leave.

In addition, if you read his last paragraph again you can see he clearly admits he is the reason there ever became a problem. Why? Simply because he changed his mind and decided he was unwilling to leave for a couple of days and felt the amount of money he wanted to spend gave him the right to inconvenience another customer. And I quote, "They kicked out a customer that would have paid for 30 days or more to allow another guest to stay two nights and I was there first."
That type of reasoning doesn’t even make sense. We didn’t decide to “allow” some random guest to check in and stay with us for two nights just so we could kick him out and not let him stay for 30 days. In fact, this customer even stated, “…make sure your reservations are written in stone or you may have to hit the pavement like I did.” Actually, the customer arriving DID have it in stone; they had a reservation and that is why he had to leave. Clearly, it wasn’t about who was here first but about who actually had the reservation.
I want all our prospective guests to know that if you make reservations with us we will NEVER eject you from your room or cancel your reservation simply because another guest decides they want to stay longer regardless of the amount of money they will spend or any other reason.
Unfortunately, this guest did leave and was upset but not due to anything caused by us. I feel I went above and beyond to try and help this guest. We never double booked any rooms and I also want to clarify our client NEVER agreed to put one of their incoming guests up at the Conference Center Hotel nor did any of our front desk attendants ever tell him they would do such a thing because we never asked them to. This was his problem, not theirs. He was aware of the circumstances when he checked in and I was simply trying to do what I could to help him. I was not obligated in any way to pay for his room at another hotel or to find another room for him at another hotel property we own and then deeply discount it. However, as a business owner, I knew he was going to be spending a great deal money and I wanted the opportunity to at least try and earn his business. I did however draw the line at trying to earn his business by NOT being willing to lie to or inconvenience another guest to accomplish it !!
As I've mentioned in other responses below, as of May 2011 this hotel is under NEW management and I am the vice president that handles all day to day operations here. I run a professional operation, we do everything we can to make sure our guest's experience is an exceptional one and I do not tolerate lazy or rude employees; they are asked to leave. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in my days and never stayed at a place like this... First off there is no one there at night???!!! What if there is a fire or emergency?? What if you get locked out??? Then my room had long hairs all over the bathroom floor and dead bugs all along the a/c unit.. My bed sheets were stained bad and there were coffee rings on the end table..I wanted to complain but there was no one at the front desk until 9am...won't stay here again

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank Timdog2000
Ryan K, Vice President at The Port on Lake Panorama, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
As of May 2011 this property is under new management and the entire staff has been replaced. It is deeply concerning to read about this guest's experience and that is why the ownership and new management team has taken aggressive action to correct what you are reading here. All rooms have been deep cleaned from top to bottom, all sheets and towels have been replaced and a new housekeeping staff has been hired and trained to not only meet our corporate expectations but the expectations of our guests. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have as this type of experience by a guest is not acceptable to the owner or new management team.
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

I stayed at this Inn (not a B&B) for 3 different weeks on business. There is no hotel staff on duty after 5 PM. If you need something you have to contact the manager of the connecting restaurant. Out of my 1st 2 weeks the room was only made up 50% of the time, no amenities were ever replenished and it was never cleaned during the 2 week stay.

On arrival the third week the room literally had feces in the toilet, mold on the shower curtain, and bugs on the floor. All management could offer was a different room which was not much better. If there were different accommodations closer I would have taken them, but there were none.

I do not recommend the Inn no matter how nice it looks.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank RandyB4458
Please allow me to share again that as of May 2011 this property is under new management and the entire staff has been replaced. This type of experience by a guest is why the ownership and new management team has taken aggressive action to correct what you are reading here. All rooms have been deep cleaned from top to bottom, all sheets and towels have been replaced and a new housekeeping staff has been hired and trained to not only meet our corporate expectations but the expectations of our guests. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have as this type of experience by a guest is not acceptable to the owner or new management team.
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

We checked in late, at 10pm and found that the restaurant had just closed. We had not eaten dinner and they accomodated us by letting us order off the menu. The appetizers we ordered were ok, not great, not bad. Very nice staff and the rooms are clean and roomy. A fireplace in every room, accompanied by a balcony in every room, overlooking the lake is a wonderful way to wind down on evening. The only complaint that I had was that the ice machine was not working, but the restaurant gave me some ice, so it worked out fine. It was too cold for the pool to be opened yet, but for the money, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank bondedinoz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panora
Hotel Pattee
Hotel Pattee
#1 of 2 in Perry

Been to The Port on Lake Panorama? Share your experiences!