“Poor service not worth the money” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Hill
Wisconsin
“Poor service not worth the money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I’m not sure I was at the same hotel as some of the other guests that gave this four and five stars. The good – Air conditioning had a set for automatic so it did not have to run all night. Room was quiet.
The mediocre – Room was okay, nothing special, nothing great, and not exceptionally clean but was okay. There was some dirt behind the bathroom door and between the beds and night stand. When we went to put clothes in the draws they were very dirty. Housekeeping was working on a room next to ours and when I told her she said she’d stop over when she was done. Hummm-room with no one in it - or take care of problem in occupied room. Yup! Bottom sheet came off mattress both nights – hate that. Food for breakfast was barely okay. Eggs were so dried out – I ate two forkfuls and dumped the rest. Meat one day was unrecognizable – one bit, dumped it. So if all you want is oatmeal, cold cereal, toast, yogurt…you are good to go.
The bad – Get rid of those ugly, old fashion, dirty looking bed spreads – please. Let’s talk about that swimming pool…the chlorine was so overpowering that all four of us adults’ eyes were running, and burning, and we could barely breathe. The second night we finally opened the door to the patio and sat in front of it and it helped (a little). The pool area could be a real gem if given some TLC. Why they have tables with umbrellas up is beyond me as there is no sunlight in the pool area. It was plain to see that no one checks it over at any time during the day as both days we were there…chairs were never moved around tables, tables were never wiped off, garbage was never cleaned up, and did I mention the overpowering chlorine smell! Towels – the first night we were there, there were a few towels on the shelf; however Monday night there were none. When we asked about them we were told, “I’m sooo busy but will try to get some in a few minutes.” Forty-five minutes later the front desk attendant brought in eight towels for the shelf. Really – eight towels! When we left the pool area, someone else was at the front desk asking for towels and this time the employee said, “I’m too busy.” Have to really love that. Did I mention the horrendous and I would have to think dangerous chlorine smell in the pool area? Our eyes were burning for a whole day after we left.
When we checked in there was no one at the front desk and had to ring the bell for service and, every time we went out past the desk or to the pool there was no one at the front desk – but…they have a sign up to call or ring the bell if you need assistance. So that makes it okay. My way of thinking is – you are a full-service business and should staff like a full-service business.
Checking out we noticed a $1.50/day charge for the use of the safe (we didn’t use). This was the only time during our 2 ½ day stay that there was a very helpful young lady who was happy to remove it. So was our stay worth $86/night? I would have to say no, definitely not.

Room Tip: We were in 212 - one room away from the elevator and it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I understand that I have already responded to you in a different forum. Again I want to apologize for the issues you encountered. We will be going through a complete remodel this Fall and encourage you to come back again once renovations are complete.. All issues you brought to our attention have been addressed. We receive good ratings at our property in the form of cleanliness and staff service. We do offer an extremely wide array of breakfast foods including 2 juices, tea, coffee, hot and cold cereals, waffles, bagels, eggs, sausage, toast, yogurt, donuts, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy to try and accomodate our guests. I do appreciate your feedback and will use it to make our strong hotel even stronger. Thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hancock, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our room had soiled chair and ottoman. Shower had mold and crumbling drywall. Noisy guests above-kept walking around and slamming door at 2300 .Called front desk after 1/2 hour. Quiet until 0200- noisy guests outside in hallway-again slamming doors. Started again above at 0630. Need more soundproofing.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor-don't stay if there are noisy guests.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IA112, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I want to apologize for the noise issues. We have taken measures to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. I am pleased to inform you that the entire hotel is going through a remodel and will have new furniture floors and walls by years end. Thank you for your feedback it is very important to us.
Brookings, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Used points - so do not know the cost. Very nice room. King bed and couch/sleeper. Clean and breakfast was good. Room was very nice and comfortable. Was at a wedding in Indianiola, and this was on the way home.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walter S
IA112, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will share your comments with the staff. Please stay with us again if you are in the area.
East Dundee, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here because the bride & groom had booked rooms for their out of town guests here. We were not disappointed, front desk staff was very friendly from check in to check out. We had a few minor issues that we reported and were handled immediately and if not fixed, alternatives were offered....all of what I would expect from good customer service. Breakfast was really good; pool & hot tub were clean. The only thing that kept me from rating this excellent was that the rooms could use some updating with some fresh paint and some carpet replacement.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

On arrival, signs were up saying the elevator was out of order. I asked the desk clerk when it would be repaired - she said tomorrow morning because they are waiting for a part. Hmmmmm. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time - like maybe a phone call to everyone who had a reservation? If not that, schedule an extra employee to help with luggage? Or how about this - a reduced rate on the room? Nope, nothing - just an offhand "sorry". Had I not already driven through Des Moines, or had there been any other options nearby, I would have left and looked elsewhere.

Anyway, I had requested a quiet (and allergy-free) room which generally means the top floor. Traveling solo, I have too much stuff and not enough energy after driving all day to make multiple trips up to the third floor, but there was no offer of help of any kind. The only option I was given was a first floor room. Although every room between the lobby and my room was designated no smoking, the hallway REEKED of fresh cigarette smoke, and was leaking in around the door to the point I stuffed a towel under the door trying to keep it out. My eyes and throat were still burning, so I opened the window and ran the a/c. Unfortunately, the a/c fan cannot be set to "always on", and there is a LOT of highway noise with the window open. When the bathroom light was turned on, the fan automatically came on, which sucked more smoke into the room each time. I didn't bother mentioning the heavy smoke to the desk clerk, because while I was outside loading the luggage cart, she was standing just outside the front door - smoking.

At about 9:00 pm, people checked in to the room directly above me and the sound of them walking around the room transmitted quite well. They resumed what sounded like stomping before 6:00 am, which woke me up, of course.

In the room itself, the furnishings and bed were in decent shape, but there were stains on the carpet and upholstered furniture, cracks in the bathroom tiles, and some mildew around the floor. Otherwise, it looked clean. Cube pillows on the bed instead of full size.

Wifi worked fine. I didn't try any of the other amenities, including breakfast, because I wanted to minimize my exposure to the smoke that was still reeking in the hallway in the morning and get out of there as soon as possible.

There are no restaurants, shopping, or other motels nearby.There is a convenience store adjacent that has a good laser car wash for getting all those smashed heartland bugs off the car.

I stopped by the desk on the way out to get a receipt. The clerk was on the phone booking some kind of party at the motel and let me wait a while. She finally apologized to the person on the phone, and without putting him on hold, looked at me as if annoyed, so I asked for a receipt. She said they couldn't get it under the door that morning, and I told her it was because I had stuffed a towel under the door to keep the smoke out. She said that no, they never are able to get it under that door. I tried to say more, but she cut me off to get back to the phone but did manage a "sorry" when I said the smell was disgusting.

I would not recommend this motel, nor would I ever stay there again. It might have been a totally different experience had they handled the elevator situation with some level of concern or assistance. I can only assume that response is indicative of their idea of customer service, and the experience with two different front desk clerks certainly leads me to believe they don't care.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
IA112, Owner at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Sleep Inn & Suites.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding these issues on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the ENTIRE staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. I would sure like to speak to you in greater detail on this..so if you would email me your information I would like to call you. My email is: gm.ia112@choicehotels.com

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Pleasant Hill.
Mesa, Az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Walked in and the smile was there at the front desk. Check In was fast and pleasant .we had to get to volleyball game and needed to hurry. In the room was a bottle of water and mints and lovely hand written note to welcome us. The room was neat and cool with the temp at 90 outside. Breakfast room was very clean, the help checked on it often and coffee never ran out. It cost more but we know you get what you pay for. This Sleep Inn will be on our list to stay when we travel this way again to watch our granddaughter play volleyball in college.

Room Tip: It is worth the drive to stay out of the Des Moines busy traffic.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Mary,

Lindsey Ubaldo
515-299-9922
Whitehall, Mt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is an excellent property. It was the first "ground floor" room of our trip - close to the "end" door...it was one of their KING singles. All the expected goodies, everything worked...bed was very comfortable. Only two things caused this to not rate excellent overall:
THERE WERE a couple of bugs in the room...this is farm country and this can be expected...they were NOT bed bugs...just small gray hardshells..on the floor. figured they came in the AC unit from outside...wanted to tell the front desk, but no one was there when we left at about 8:10 AM. Coffee was great and HOT...in the breakfast room.
THE second thing was FOOD sources...there are not a lot "near by"...we drove maybe 3.5 miles down the road to find a burger king... The Golden arches are closer, but we can't hack their plastic "call it food" items...
Still...we would stay here again...served the purpose intended...and, the front desk did check with us after about 2 hr from checking in...to insure everything was OK...nice touch.

Room Tip: Away from the main road would be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Prairie Meadows Hotel
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#1 of 9 in Altoona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altoona - Des Moines

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!