“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Hill
montrose iowa
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Average, nothing to put it over the top and nothing to put it under. Odd during State Fair week nobody was at front desk, people always had to ring a bell. Room was standard with all the regular amenities(frig, microwave, flat screen, free wi fi). Pool area could use some jazzing up, everything is white, and the ventilation system was not working, people would prop open the side doors due to the chlorine smell was overpowering to some. Kids enjoyed the pool and that is what mattered to me. I would stay here again if needed as its location fit my needs, but there are nicer hotels with a friendlier staff in Ankeny if staying in the area.(Staff could use better people skills- smile,make me feel welcomed to be there.) Never did try the breakfast but it did look good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback. I will share your comments with the staff. Our property will be going through a complete remodel this year so I hope you come check us out again. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had booked our room on booking.com. the hotel had walk-ins and had started overbooking the rooms. The ladies at the counter were very helpful. We had reserved a non smoking king size room. ( 2 adults 2 kids) all that was available was a smoking king room so instead we were placed in the bunk bed suit! For less then the original booked room! Our girls had so much fun!!! Breakfast was great and staff was very good about keepin it stocked! Only complaint-- no towels at 930 for a jam packed pool, was told by desk staff they just needed folded but when another guest went up to ask she was told there were none washed. 9.5 out of 10!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank ksilence91
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I will share your comments with the staff. I'm glad we had a room to offer during the busy State Fair.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here when visiting Adventureland and we would stay here again. The check in gal was friendly and recognized my Choice membership status, as did the gal upon check out. Our room had plenty of space and was clean. Bathroom was stocked with the right amout of bath towels for our family, which is rare. The reason I am not giving it 5 stars would be because of breakfast - it was running low when we ate and there was no sense of urgency from the staff to quickly stock it. At one point, we saw a staff lady grab a muffin for herself when there was one left - no eggs, no cups, no yogurt and the counters were a mess. I never did see eggs. They were no smiles or courteousness from the breakfast staff - so hopefully management will read complaints about their breakfast and pick it up a notch. Overall though we were pleased! Didn't try the pool so can't comment on that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you again for leaving feedback. It is important for us to hear what our guests are saying. I apologize for the breakfast inconvenience. We have made an employee change in our breakfast room and we our very excited with our new breakfast attendant. Have a great week and we look forward to seeing you again.
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I’m not sure I was at the same hotel as some of the other guests that gave this four and five stars. The good – Air conditioning had a set for automatic so it did not have to run all night. Room was quiet.
The mediocre – Room was okay, nothing special, nothing great, and not exceptionally clean but was okay. There was some dirt behind the bathroom door and between the beds and night stand. When we went to put clothes in the draws they were very dirty. Housekeeping was working on a room next to ours and when I told her she said she’d stop over when she was done. Hummm-room with no one in it - or take care of problem in occupied room. Yup! Bottom sheet came off mattress both nights – hate that. Food for breakfast was barely okay. Eggs were so dried out – I ate two forkfuls and dumped the rest. Meat one day was unrecognizable – one bit, dumped it. So if all you want is oatmeal, cold cereal, toast, yogurt…you are good to go.
The bad – Get rid of those ugly, old fashion, dirty looking bed spreads – please. Let’s talk about that swimming pool…the chlorine was so overpowering that all four of us adults’ eyes were running, and burning, and we could barely breathe. The second night we finally opened the door to the patio and sat in front of it and it helped (a little). The pool area could be a real gem if given some TLC. Why they have tables with umbrellas up is beyond me as there is no sunlight in the pool area. It was plain to see that no one checks it over at any time during the day as both days we were there…chairs were never moved around tables, tables were never wiped off, garbage was never cleaned up, and did I mention the overpowering chlorine smell! Towels – the first night we were there, there were a few towels on the shelf; however Monday night there were none. When we asked about them we were told, “I’m sooo busy but will try to get some in a few minutes.” Forty-five minutes later the front desk attendant brought in eight towels for the shelf. Really – eight towels! When we left the pool area, someone else was at the front desk asking for towels and this time the employee said, “I’m too busy.” Have to really love that. Did I mention the horrendous and I would have to think dangerous chlorine smell in the pool area? Our eyes were burning for a whole day after we left.
When we checked in there was no one at the front desk and had to ring the bell for service and, every time we went out past the desk or to the pool there was no one at the front desk – but…they have a sign up to call or ring the bell if you need assistance. So that makes it okay. My way of thinking is – you are a full-service business and should staff like a full-service business.
Checking out we noticed a $1.50/day charge for the use of the safe (we didn’t use). This was the only time during our 2 ½ day stay that there was a very helpful young lady who was happy to remove it. So was our stay worth $86/night? I would have to say no, definitely not.

Room Tip: We were in 212 - one room away from the elevator and it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I understand that I have already responded to you in a different forum. Again I want to apologize for the issues you encountered. We will be going through a complete remodel this Fall and encourage you to come back again once renovations are complete.. All issues you brought to our attention have been addressed. We receive good ratings at our property in the form of cleanliness and staff service. We do offer an extremely wide array of breakfast foods including 2 juices, tea, coffee, hot and cold cereals, waffles, bagels, eggs, sausage, toast, yogurt, donuts, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy to try and accomodate our guests. I do appreciate your feedback and will use it to make our strong hotel even stronger. Thank you
Hancock, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our room had soiled chair and ottoman. Shower had mold and crumbling drywall. Noisy guests above-kept walking around and slamming door at 2300 .Called front desk after 1/2 hour. Quiet until 0200- noisy guests outside in hallway-again slamming doors. Started again above at 0630. Need more soundproofing.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor-don't stay if there are noisy guests.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IA112, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I want to apologize for the noise issues. We have taken measures to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. I am pleased to inform you that the entire hotel is going through a remodel and will have new furniture floors and walls by years end. Thank you for your feedback it is very important to us.
Brookings, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Used points - so do not know the cost. Very nice room. King bed and couch/sleeper. Clean and breakfast was good. Room was very nice and comfortable. Was at a wedding in Indianiola, and this was on the way home.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walter S
IA112, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will share your comments with the staff. Please stay with us again if you are in the area.
East Dundee, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here because the bride & groom had booked rooms for their out of town guests here. We were not disappointed, front desk staff was very friendly from check in to check out. We had a few minor issues that we reported and were handled immediately and if not fixed, alternatives were offered....all of what I would expect from good customer service. Breakfast was really good; pool & hot tub were clean. The only thing that kept me from rating this excellent was that the rooms could use some updating with some fresh paint and some carpet replacement.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Prairie Meadows Hotel
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#1 of 9 in Altoona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altoona - Des Moines

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!