Hope Cottage Tours
  • Breakfast included
US$120
US$117
Hotels.com
The Swan at Streatley(Streatley-on-Thames)
US$148
US$71
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel(Abingdon)(Great Value!)
US$86
PremierInn.com
All reviewsshepherd's hutsurrounding fieldshomemade biscuitsevery morningvillage fetethe main housecooked breakfasthope cottagecape codnicest couplebachcumsnug
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Our visit to Hope Cottage in 2005 was so pleasant and memorable that we returned in 2006 and 2007. We will make another visit in the future and it will be like having a family reunion with Sue and her delightful clan. What can I say, fabulous food, cozy rooms, a great tour guide who will take you right where you want to go, and all with a smile and a wonderful and wicked sense of humor. We biked around the country side and hiked every lane and path we could find in the beautiful village of Brightwell--Sotwell, visited several ancient stone churches and attended Sunday service at St. Agathas where we were warmly welcomed . Being that Sue booked one party at a time, she devoted her complete attention to us and custom fit our holiday wants ,wishes, menu and timetable. My wife is a huge fan of the late Robin Gibb, and knew where his estate was located , She gave Sue directions to get there, and without giving any further details, we happened to meet and talk with him. Got hugs, autograph, and pictures, and my wife cried with joy. Sue also pointed out several other celebrity homes and historic points of interest. We attended the village fete and watched a cricket match on a beautiful sunny afternoon that was held across the lane from Hope Cottage. After returning from a fabulous day of adventures, Sue served us gourmet appetizers and our gin and tonics on the terrace while the sun set over the field of grazing Holstiens nearby. It was then that she would ask us what we would like to do the following day and she would make suggestions to be sure our holiday dreams were fulfilled, and they were, thanks to her.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thanks for such a lovely review, we had a great time didn't we, and you really made the best of 'village life'. Can't wait for you to come back and, like you say, have a family reunion.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I am happy to hear Hope Cottage Tours are back!!! Our trip was in June 2005, we wanted to visit the English countryside to see typical english gardens in bloom, ancient houses and historic cities... and thanks to Sue our trip was absolutely wonderful!!! Totally made to measure, taking into account our personal interests. We stayed 5 days in this lovely cottage, eating delicious food, and guided by Sue who knows everything! It was the cutest trip I have ever made. I really hope to come back with my children soon!!! :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Thank you so much, we really enjoyed your visit too and I am really looking forward to meeting your children. I better start practising my Spanish.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My experience at Hope Cottage Tours was one of the top highlights of my vacation (the other being Paris, so that should tell you something!). Sue could not have been warmer or more gracious, and from the first moment I felt like my happiness was her number one priority.

The cottage is beautifully cozy, with a gorgeous big kitchen where something delicious is always happening, a conservatory that makes it possible to eat all these wonderful meals with a lovely view of the gardens and meadows whether it be rain or shine, and the garden itself with so many little treasures tucked around every corner, including Sue's egg-laying chickens, one of which I made personal friends with I'm proud to say.

I won't go into too much detail but I'd like to stress that I'm a bit of a foodie - and Sue knocked my socks off! Her perfectly balanced touch to every meal gave Paris a run for its money I'll tell you what. And so very generous with variety and choices, as well as dealing wonderfully with my various weird food allergies.

Sue gladly drove us to many lovely sites and wonderful little towns, ancient churches, lavender fields, wherever we wanted to go. The entire area is picturesquely beautiful, and there are so many things to see and fun places to shop. The best part for me though was the relaxing atmosphere of the cottage itself. By the way, I found it laden with all the amenities I could think of, plus a few that'd never crossed my mind but was extremely thankful for (Towel-warming rack after a shower on a cold morning? Thank you very much indeed!).

In retrospect, if I knew then what I know now, I really think I may have forgone London to have a few extra days at Hope Cottage. I left rejuvenated, inspired, and very, very happy. Don't miss out, Sue is the absolute BEST.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, We really enjoyed your stay too, you chose all the best places to visit. Maybe you can come back sometime now we are up and running again.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I were thrilled to learn that Sue Robson of Hope Cottage Tours is resuming her business after a few years running the local pub. Our trip with her in 2006 was a never to be forgotten joy from start to finish. If you want to see the English countryside, old castles, steam railways and so much more, without having to drive or take a bus, AND come home at night to a lovely meal and a great bedroom, look no further!

Room Tip: Talk to Sue about staying in your own little cottage room connected to the solarium. We loved it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you so much, we are very excited about it too and delighted to hear you may be back this year.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

If you are looking for a complete, stress free, exceptional vacation do what I did and let Sue at Hope Cottage Tours whisk you away from it all. This woman is a marvel at providing the most sumptuous meals, homey accommodations, tours personalized just for you and she does it all with such ease. Once you've tried this one, you'll want to return again and again...just like I have. You will not be disappointed! Sincerely, Donna from Cape Cod, Massachusetts

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thank you, it's always great to see you, It's amazing you haven't run out of places you want to visit yet, looking forward to seeing you this summer.