“Amazing shepherds hut!”
Review of Hope Cottage Tours

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Hope Cottage Tours
“Amazing shepherds hut!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the shepherds hut for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had the isolation we wanted of staying in our own hut with the convenience of having Sue and Bob in the house next door to provide a lovely breakfast and directions around town when needed. The B&B was situated in a picturesque village with lots of public footpaths to explore and quality dinners to gorge on at the local pub, the Red Lion.

The B&B was easily reachable for Didcot Parkway train station which is on the main line service from London and also makes both the south coast and the north easily accessible for days out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review. (sorry for delay in response - we are having a very busy summer) I'm particularly pleased you had such a good time despite not having any transport, I sometimes worry that we are a bit remote but it's good to hear that didn't spoil your time here. Welcome back anytime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have been there last Autumn and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the house and the warm welcoming of Sue and her husband,My room was so cosy with personal toilet,a very comfortable place,I was feeling home.
In the morning I was looking forward to eating the absolutely delicious breakfast with homemade bread,yoghurt and jams,fresh fruit ,all sorts of cereals,of course tea and coffee included, my mouth is still watering thinking about it.
I recommend this beautiful cottage immersed in the Oxford countryside,Sue and her husband will spoil you for sure and will give lots of advice about what to do and where to go.
Worth a try! I may say FANTASTICO.
Mariarita Liberati

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review - we loved having your team to stay and enjoyed learning a little more about good wine. Hopefully you will be back one day - Is it an annual event I wonder?
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Spending the weekend at Sue's was utterly, utterly fantastic! We loved every aspect - the quaint and cosy hut, the wonderful view (a treat in the morning light and drenched in golden evening sunshine), the delicious homemade breakfast (so much care put into it and full of fresh produce), the friendly local pub (great pies!), the beautiful surrounding countryside (brilliant for walks and bike rides), the nearby quaint villages, proximity to town for restaurants...the list goes on!

But our favourite part of the trip was meeting Sue, an absolute gem. So warm and welcoming, with a fantastic sense of humour and generous of spirit - from lending us the bikes (a canoe may have been useful too with the flooding!), to giving the time to share advice on local walks, rides and eateries, to indulging us with her brand-new homemade marmalade. Our stay was for just two nights but, having had such a brilliant weekend, we fell in love with the place and felt very sad to leave...oh well, I guess we'll have to return again in the summer!

Room Tip: Try the Shepherd's Hut - really cosy with the woodburner going!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1_Parkins_1
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Aaah thanks Jack for such a brilliant review - I thoroughly enjoyed your company and hope you will be back in the summer when we have dried out a bit. At present the rain continues and the stream has come up to meet the ducks, they love it.
Oman
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This review is not based on just a couple of nights stay - we stayed at the Hope Cottage for two weeks! Sue and Bob are such wonderful hosts and made us feel so comfortable! We loved the home-made vegetarian food and never once did Sue repeat a menu! The location is beautiful, and the pastoral surroundings are so quiet and relaxing - an experience of the English countryside we shall shall treasure for all times to come.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you for a fab review Ashok, we really enjoyed your visit and I actually enjoyed increasing my vegetarian culinary repertoire. Hope you and Anjali will manage to return one day.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Wonderful location and such lovely hosts, (including the chickens and ducks). I arrived later than expected and Sue had homemade, hot veggie food made just for me! Beautiful area, quiet night's sleep and a fab breakfast. Very reasonably priced.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I will stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review - We really appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay at Hope Cottage and giving other travellers, whether on business or holiday, an idea of what to expect when they come to visit us. Maybe you can come back for a more relaxing stay some time?
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at Hope Cottage for a few nights whilst on business in Wallingford recently. I travel round the UK quite a bit and can say without a shadow of a doubt it is the by far the best accommodation experience I've come across in over 20 years.

I use the word 'experience' because to simply describe the exceptionally quality of the rooms, cleanliness, food, peaceful location etc. (not to mention extremely reasonable prices!) simply does not do any justice to the truly warm hospitality and tranquillity on offer here.

I cannot commend this place highly enough - I will go out of my way to try and stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thanks Aiden for such a lovely review - we thoroughly enjoyed your visit , I so appreciated how you were so enthusiastic and complimentary about everything, (also, because you're a fellow Geordie I could get a quick accent refresher course!!)
Hope you have to visit the south again before too long.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the Hope cottage as a family. Mum, dad, sister, brother-in-law and my fiancee and I. Sue was a wonderful and warm hostess. Home made food was just to die for (we also had home cooked dinner at the Hope Cottage). I would highly recommend staying in the Shepherd Hut if its available. Creature comforts and modern technology (check out the shower) just add to being able to relax.
If we ever need a weekend away, we are coming back.

Room Tip: The Shepherds Hut is isolated from the main house only a throw away. It has fantastic views, there...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
SueRob7, Owner at Hope Cottage Tours, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thanks for your lovely review Jay, we really enjoyed having your family to stay and feeling part of the wedding celebrations. I'm so glad you enjoyed the 'hut' and the pre wedding supper.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
George Hotel
Little Gables Bed and Breakfast
Little Gables Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Crowmarsh Gifford
The Partridge Inn Wine Bar & Restaurant

Been to Hope Cottage Tours? Share your experiences!