“Very disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We will be coming into town for Morningside College Graduation in May. I called asking about rates, knowing that we have both military discount and government discounts. We were told that neither are available Fri-Sat. I find this very sad, and very disappointing, as my husband didn't get to pick when he was fighting for our country in Iraq!!!! I understand that weekends are busy, but we felt like not honoring military discount on weekends is a slap in the face for those who have fought for our country!!! We will spread the word not to say here!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank carrie61811
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Sioux City, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear carrie61811, I cannot express strongly enough my disappointment in how our staff handled your inquiry. We support our military with great love and respect in numerous ways including fund raising, participation in Adopt-A-Military Family programs among others and proudly can say we have a number of former military in our employ. Our Corporate Executive offices proudly display United States Flags and photographs presented to us from US Military units that used them while deployed in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Our failure to handle your request, wherever it fell apart, has caused us to immediately re-train and re-address our family military discount process to ensure no one else whose family member served our country shall suffer the same results that you did. Thank you so very much for pointing this out to us and more importantly, thank your family member(s) who have so wonderfully represented us with their service. I can only apologize and say that your review has been helpful to those who follow. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The pool area is very nice - it is an indoor/outdoor pool that is maintained even in the winter months. The hot tub is nice as well. The pool area is open until 10 for everyone and then until 11 for adults - that was wonderful. There was a children's basketball tournament nearby and the hotel was FULL of families. The hotel managed well - although it was a little noisy in the halls until the kids went to bed. The rooms have a neat rustic decor - consistent with the rest of the chain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed one night while traveling through the area. Room was very nice and clean. I liked the rustic décor in the room and lobby. It was snowing the morning I left, wish I would have had more time to sit by the fireplace in the lobby and relax. Stayed in a room with a king bed. There was empty space in the room that needed another chair or small table and chairs. Also, had a pet and the charge was $25 for a pet. I have a small very clean dog and not sure why my pet would require that much extra. Felt like this was too much to pay for a pet. Breakfast was the usual free breakfast. They did have a nice variety of hot tea flavors. Good price for the quality of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Sioux City, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Quadp4, We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we too, wish it could have been longer. We spend considerable time and effort following all pet stays to insure that the next room occupant would never know a pet had been there by conducting extensive extra cleaning. As a pet owner of a small, clean dog myself, I understand your perspective but we must insure that if the next occupant has any pet allergies, they wouldn’t suffer any consequence. We hope the future holds another travel through our area and that we get to see you and yours again. Thanks for sharing.
Early, Iowa
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I come to Sioux City whenever we can to get away. And for as long as Stoney Creek has been here we have been coming. We will never stay anywhere else. You cant go wrong, Location is perfect. Rooms are all ways clean and comfortable. We recommend Sioux City Stoney Creek to everyone!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Pierce, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We did a family "daycation" and took our kids to a hockey game and stayed overnight there. Everyone was so friendly and the room was super clean! We used the pool when we first got there and was surprised to see it was indoor/outdoor..the kids thought that was cool and even got up early to swim before breakfast!!

The breakfast in the morning was great with a wide selection-no one should leave hungry.

Will stay at again when in town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The hotel itself is very nice. Everything is always clean. Breakfast is good. Pool, spa, video games, laundry, & gym good.

The only bad is the people who work here.

First off I shouldn't have to tell them to throw garbage away if it's full. I had my trash left there after they "cleaned" the room. And then when I tell them they insist they did throw it out when obviously they didn't.

I asked to get the beds changed and they only got rotated.

I left sandpaper on the table for work and it was thrown away and that was the last we had.

The last thing that made me not want to come here again was an issue with one of the guest services people. He came talking rudely to me about my 2 & 1 year old how they are unacceptable and if they don't be quiet he's calling the cops on them. All they were doing was picking up their toys and helping me throw trash away. I told him I'll try but they're little I'm not gong to hit them and he said I have to do something I'm the parent and they're unacceptable. Very rude!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Angie226, Please accept my sincere apologies for any rudeness you encountered during your stay. Of course we work hard to hire and train personnel who are hospitable in every way. It also sounds like we threw away things you wanted and didn’t throw what we should have. We will immediately re-address our expectations with guest services, which this representative clearly did not understand, and readdress meeting customer expectations with everyone. Thank you for the comments, both critical and positive.
Iowa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was our 2nd stay at Stoney Creek. Again everything was great! Friendly staff, comfortable beds. The pool water may have been a little on the chilly side, but -23 windchill, it's probably hard to keep it overly warm! I would recommend this hotel. The atmosphere is lodge themed, it's great! We had our two grandkids running around, the walls are well insulated, thank goodness. Can't hear what the next room is doing.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!