I stayed here for four nights while home visiting family and friends. We were able to get a very good price for our stay on Siouxland Bid and Buy online, so we ended up paying about as much as we would have had we stayed at the Super 8 down the road. Let's just say that we probably should have asked for a further discount.
I'm from here, so I've seen the hotel change hands from Hilton to Clarion, then to the current owners, whoever they are (I can't find any information about them on the website or online). I know this used to be considered a very nice hotel. And from the looks of it, it should be. The lobby looks great, the rooms have all the amenities you could want (although there are only ice and vending machines on certain floors), and its only a short distance from anywhere you'd like to go downtown. But the cleanliness of the place...yuck.
When we walked into our room, we immediately noticed the carpets were worn and stained, the bedspread had a prominent cigarette burn in the middle of it (even though we had a non-smoking room) plus other stains, and there were noticeable cobwebs and dust on two walls. I should have asked to change rooms then, but it was late and we had already had trouble working with staff to procure a room with a mini refrigerator and microwave in it. In the morning, my fiancee opened up the drawer on his nightstand and found a *used* plastic plate left inside with a bit of food still on it. I'm not taking any guesses as to how long it was in there, but it was dry. We also noticed our sheets and bedding were not changed when the housekeepers came in. All together, I didn't feel very comfortable but I didn't want to expend any more effort. We just went there to sleep and shower.
A minor detail here, but the place was certainly not packed during our stay. I was annoyed we were still placed in a room that had a breathtaking view of...the parking garage across the alley. Why not place us on a higher floor, or in a room facing the Convention Center? Perhaps it was because we were booking a stay with discount coupons (but maybe they just didn't have enough mini-fridges and microwaves to go around)? I don't know. I wanted to like this place, but I'm not impressed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full Service Downtown Hotel located in the Historic 4th Street entertainment district. Close to Convention Center, Museum, Movies Theaters, over 14,000 meetings rooms for weddings, and business meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Howard Johnson Sioux City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sioux City Hotel And Conference Center
- The Sioux City Hotel Sioux City
- Clarion Hotel Sioux City
- Clarion Sioux City
- Sioux City Clarion