“The location is great, BUT....”

Howard Johnson Sioux City
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sioux City
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed here for four nights while home visiting family and friends. We were able to get a very good price for our stay on Siouxland Bid and Buy online, so we ended up paying about as much as we would have had we stayed at the Super 8 down the road. Let's just say that we probably should have asked for a further discount.

I'm from here, so I've seen the hotel change hands from Hilton to Clarion, then to the current owners, whoever they are (I can't find any information about them on the website or online). I know this used to be considered a very nice hotel. And from the looks of it, it should be. The lobby looks great, the rooms have all the amenities you could want (although there are only ice and vending machines on certain floors), and its only a short distance from anywhere you'd like to go downtown. But the cleanliness of the place...yuck.

When we walked into our room, we immediately noticed the carpets were worn and stained, the bedspread had a prominent cigarette burn in the middle of it (even though we had a non-smoking room) plus other stains, and there were noticeable cobwebs and dust on two walls. I should have asked to change rooms then, but it was late and we had already had trouble working with staff to procure a room with a mini refrigerator and microwave in it. In the morning, my fiancee opened up the drawer on his nightstand and found a *used* plastic plate left inside with a bit of food still on it. I'm not taking any guesses as to how long it was in there, but it was dry. We also noticed our sheets and bedding were not changed when the housekeepers came in. All together, I didn't feel very comfortable but I didn't want to expend any more effort. We just went there to sleep and shower.

A minor detail here, but the place was certainly not packed during our stay. I was annoyed we were still placed in a room that had a breathtaking view of...the parking garage across the alley. Why not place us on a higher floor, or in a room facing the Convention Center? Perhaps it was because we were booking a stay with discount coupons (but maybe they just didn't have enough mini-fridges and microwaves to go around)? I don't know. I wanted to like this place, but I'm not impressed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 November 2012

When I was making my way to the hotel from the parking garage, I passed the pool which looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1970s. It looked really really bad and got me quite worried. Then I entered the elevator which didn't look much better. The frontdesk officer who checked me in was wearing his own light blue polo T-shirt. The staff are apparently not made to wear uniforms! I got more worried, even though he was very courteous and was most professional.

Then I went inside the room. The room is awesome!

It clearly has recently been remodeled and looked modern and comfortable. The bathroom also looked quite new and was clean also. I had high hopes of the bed, because man, it was a huge King sized instead of the queen beds typically in motel chains like Comfort Inn. I slept like a baby that night because the bed was so comfortable, not just because of the mattress (which was really good), but because the hotel provided so many very large and firm yet fluffy pillows, a total of six pillows were provided. My husband and I each took three and used one as a bolster. If they had completed it with a good comforter, the experience would have been divine.

I do not use the fitness centers or pools in hotels. I was told I could get breakfast for $5.99 per person the next day if I wanted. There was a CRV TV that works just fine with a full list of cable channels. I paid only $80 for my room and I felt it was a very good deal.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Very conveniently located to the downtown area....everything within a few blocks. It's an older hotel but is being renovated. The staff was very accommodating. We had a burned out lightbulb at 10 pm and it was fixed right away The pool did not look very welcoming. Stay on the upper floor for a great view of the city. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The pool area is so nasty I would go in it. Sauna was cold and didn't work. Paint was sticking to my feet from the pool deck, after I almost cut my hand on the pool door knob that wasn't installed properly.

The bed spread had a red spot on it. There is mold in the bathroom on the wallpaper. The paint is falling off the ceiling.
I have been here a hour and am not sure if I should stay.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We were in town for an event. The staff was outstanding, check-in was fast and friendly. The room was spacious. We found a piece of a broken ashtray in the bathroom. The staff was very apologetic and the supervisor from housekeeping actually got on her hands and knees to clean up the glass and to make sure that there were no missed pieces. The view from the 11th floor was amazing!!

The bar is cozy, the restaurant was great. The pool looked a little dated, but it was very clean. The sauna was hot. :)

The skywalk is convenient, the map provided at the front desk was detailed and helpful.

I will definitely be staying here again!!! Thanks for an amazing weekend!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My room was pleasant and spacious. The hotel's address does not actually take you to the front door of the hotel, but rather to the convention center, which has no parking. I drove around for a bit before pulling into a parking ramp and discovered that one parks in the ramp and then drags one's luggage through the skywalk and then down an elevator to the front desk. There is no signage on the building directing one--on the street, in the parking ramp, or on the skywalk. I did find people who thought they had clues about where the hotel was and eventually I found it. When I was getting to leave, I asked for directions to my next destination, a well-known vacation area, but no one had any clue, nor did they have any ideas about where I might find directions and the front desk staff declined to print a map on their computer. I asked about a visitors center, but they did not know if there was one nor did they know how to look one up in the phone book or on the computer. Finally I asked about a business center, which they did have. After some haggling, they told me where it was and I printed my map. The front desk staff needs training and the hotel website needs to give information about the parking and finding the registration area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Author567
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This hotel was formerly the Clarion and is apparently under new management The location is in downtown Sioux City and access to the skywalks makes it convenient to get around downtown. Our room had been renovated with new carpet, bedding, bathroom tile and granite, and a refrigerator and microwave. The room was spacious and comfortable. We felt perfectly safe with the parking in the garage and noted that the hotel access from the garage is locked from 1100 pm to 700 am. We did not use the restaurant or the lounge but they appeared to be reasonably priced. The pool and fitness area were clean but the pool deck paint was peeling and needs to be updated. My only complaint was a loud group of guests who arrived at 2:00 am and did not quiet down until 3:00 am. However, I don't blame hotel management for those rude guests. We would certainly return to this hotel if we are staying in Sioux City again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family