“What a dump”

Great Lakes Inn
Great Lakes Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Spirit Lake
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

This place was HORRIBLE! What a rip-off. Worst 75 dollars ever spent. I'd rather lose 75 bucks. The blankets smelled like cigarettes, the room was super dirty, there was a hole in the bathroom door patched with SCOTCH tape, stranger hair in the tub, the toilet rocked back and forth, it took us forever to just check in, our neighbors were so noisy that I couldn't sleep...I could seriously go on.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank 30AMM

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We paid what I thought was a lot of money for a crappy room. The place smelled like smoke. It was dirty. The bathroom door wouldn't shut. The wireless wouldn't work. Basically if we could have found another hotel that didn't require a two night stay we would have been out of there

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Nickirow
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Some of the worst, rudest staff I have EVER met in my life. They were unyielding, insulted me that I was overweight, assumed I was straight and that the woman I was with was my girlfriend and that we'd be "too fat to fit in (their) beds" even though I was staying alone. That's only the start.

I got into the room. Only half of the electrical outlets worked, most of which were only two pronged outlets that wouldn't accommodate my laptop charger. Two of the three outlets that did accommodate it didn't work. So right now I am writing this with my chord stretched all the way across the room to the tiny TV that often flickers.

The Telephone also does not work whatsoever. It's plugged into the wall properly, it just doesn't work. The hanging light in the room blew as soon as I pulled it. The second light I tried was next to one of the two beds I didn't need as a single guest and didn't book, and it didn't work either. The third and final light worked and that was the only one in the room. The bathroom has exposed lighting above the mirror. Two light bulbs are completely missing with empty sockets. I used the microwave, but in order to do so I had to unplug the hanging lamp and plug in the microwave.

The blankets are scratchy but the beds are fairly comfortable. The place doesn't look like it's cleaned very often. I never got house cleaning during my two day stay. Looking at the telephone outlet against the wall it was coated in filth. I ran the air conditioner over night and got a really bad raspy cough. I left for the day, came back, turned it on and got the cough again - so I shut it off and the cough went away. I think there must be mold or something in it.

Their trash sat outside of my room (close to the office) for a day. I requested a late check out which wasn't respected. I have had no less than three people pounding on my door, shaking the door knob, jingling keys and looking in my window pointing at me.

BE FOREWARNED!

STAY FAR FAR AWAY. This is not worth 50 bucks a night. This is, at best, a $25 a night hotel. Don't be fooled by anything you see.

To make things even more interesting, as I was checking out I was yelled at by the owners who told me if I had had a problem I needed to let them know yesterday (when I wasn't in the hotel). They were literally screaming at me. Wow, I wouldn't pay a cent at this location. It was awful. The staff are horrendous. I am led to believe that other reviewers on this site that rated it highly or said nice things about the staff are lying. I'm sitting in the continental breakfast room right now typing this because the owner opened my door and stood in it while I was trying to get dressed. Their continental breakfast things are still sitting out at 1 in the afternoon. The peanut butter is uncapped and flies are buzzing everywhere. BE WARNED.

Room Tip: Don't book here. Don't be fooled. Spring for a little more to get a LOT more.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tim J
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We pulled in on bikes and even thou its not a ramada inn the place was nice staff was friendly thereis a slight sewer order by the drive when you enter or leave wouldn't notice if you are in car but on bike you can smell it. I would stay again quiet and reasonable

Room Tip: We were in newer part room was big
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I arrived late and tired, traveling alone, no reservations. Spirit Lake is the "poor side of town" compared to Okoboji a few miles away, and Spirit Lake has few motels. The ol' Shamrock has definitely seen better days, and friendly Mr. Patel seems content to let it merrily slide. Most of the clientele seem to be redneck fishermen in rusted-out pickup trucks.

My room was dated but everything worked, so I can't really complain, and the price was right. However, I would never stay here with family.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rollingstoneman
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

This motel was far less expensive than the others near the lake. I thought it was worth the price. The staff was very friendly. There was a musty smell but I got used to it pretty quick. Nice and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 11 September 2011

room smelled like mildew bathroom was a mess hair over the floor beds were like sleeping on floor hard as a rock

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Super 8 Spirit Lake/Okoboji
Super 8 Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Great Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!