“Supper at The Boat House”
Review of Boat House

Boat House
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Storm Lake
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Tom and Rue When ever we want a steak we go to The Boat House!! Both of us love the seasoning!! Gary should sell that too!! hint! We are usually there late so it is not super busy. We have brought our families there to eat also they handled a large number of people well also. Tom always loves the rib eye and I love it too especially when the special is to get 3 big shrimp it it!! I had the crab legs for my birthday and they were cooked to perfection!!
love the atmosphere and the staff are great, it could be a bit cleaner but I am a clean freak!

3  Thank Rue S

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great food at reasonable prices and excellent service. Lots of choices to satisfy all diners in our group.

2  Thank Millie F
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Good bar food and cold beer- this is a typical tavern style eatery, a bit dark, doo-dads on the walls and friendly staff.

2  Thank 7Xtraveler
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The day warranted dinner out with our son and his wife. It was our first time at the Boat House in downtown Storm Lake but our son's second. His first experience was very bad but we understood the ownership had changed so we were willing to take a chance. We were greeted by a life-size wooden Captain Hook and decor to match the nautical theme and name. The place is rustic and charming as well as appropriate for a town noted for its lake. Even though the eating area looked clean, I did notice one of the front doors leading to the outside of the establishment had a gap in the door sweep at the floor which was large enough to allow small rodents and large insects to enter without any problem. It was a single door so it was a direct access if any vermin or insects that happened to be on the sidewalk during the day or night.

The menu is quite extensive with full dinners to sandwiches, a variety of meat offerings as well as seafood and pastas. An ample selection of beers, wines and specialty drinks are also offered. We opened with an order of cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers as a starter. They were actually quite good and didn't appear to be the frozen variety but I imagine they were. The Father's Day special was a 25% discount on dad's entree and since my son and his wife were planning on sharing an entree, I asked if he would also be eligible for the discount. The waitress pleasantly indicated they normally would not but was quick to make an exception for us. They chose a large cut porterhouse and my wife and I ordered the 12 ounce cut of prime rib. We both ordered our cuts medium rare and asked that they be more toward the rare side if possible. Our waitress indicated that time of the evening they would probably be more toward the medium side rather than rare. I should add, Sunday night in Storm lake apparently is not a big night for dining out as some eating places were not even open. We were there about 8:00pm and there were not many patrons eating at the time we arrived.

As a side, I elected to try one of their soups which was a bean and chicken prepared in what I would call Creole style. It was very thick and contained enough spice and file gumbo to satisfy my preference for some "heat." I thought it was very good and tasted homemade. The others had an asparagus, cheesy chicken soup which my wife described as "nothing special." Our steaks arrived in timely fashion following our soup and I was immediately doubtful the prime rib was freshly prepared and cut for it appeared like a portion controlled, pre-cooked and reheated version. I was willing to withhold judgement until I gave it a try but I first had to find out how to cut off a piece with the cumbersome serrated cutlery so many places pass off as steak knives. Having grown up in the meat business, I have always believed a sharp knife can make even an average steak taste slightly better than average when it is easy to cut. This piece of prime rib was far from "prime" and would have challenged a chain saw!

I didn't make any comment as the porterhouse was being cut and divided between my son and his wife without too much difficulty. Thinking my first cut from the outer edge was not the best test, I tried to get a sample from the interior of the loin. It was similar to chewing on a piece of rubber as was the first. And the flavor was suspiciously very salty as if it had been overly soaked or injected with tenderizer. I saw my wife was having the same experience. When the waitress inquired if all was well, I promptly pointed out I was having difficulty cutting the steak as well as it was nearly impossible to chew. She promptly apologized and offered a replacement and I asked if it was prepared "in-house" as a loin. She assured me it was but she either didn't know or had been instructed on how to answer if asked. If it was prepared as a full loin, it was not prepared that day or it was pre-cooked and simply heated through.

We elected two medium rare ribeye steaks as our replacement entrees. Our son and daughter-in-law just about had the porterhouse gone by the time our steaks came but they did arrive prepared as we had ordered them this time. And they were edible in that you could cut and chew them without too much difficulty. But the sodium flavor was again over-powering with a heavy taste of what I would describe as an overdose of garlic powder. Again I suspect the steaks were brined in some type of marinade and/or tenderizer. I was hungry enough at this point to eat about anything so I did get away with the entire steak. The waitress told us when she served us our replacements, she was discounting the one steak 25% and the second one 50% as well as 25% for my son's order. The waitress and the establishment tried to make the evening better but the product was not worth the price regardless as our tab for the two ribeyes, two beers without tip totaled $39.00 after the discount and I have eaten better steaks prepared on a flat top grill in a diner for half the discounted price.

The new owners have a much improved approach to customers and service but they certainly did not impress us with the meals we experienced. I cannot recommend anyone order the prime rib or the ribeye steaks for this dining experience certainly was not a highlight for this father on Father's Day!