“So so hotel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Storm Lake
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“So so hotel”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean, but every time we've stayed there we've had a plumbing issues. Toilets that won't flush and lack of hot water in the mornings are most common. Nice place for the price and the kids love the pool.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I was here for a wedding and this was the overflow hotel as the other one was full. The desk clerk did not have one shred of affect or politeness while she processed my registration. In fact, she made it clear to me by her demeanor that I was interrupting her important business of, say, reading her texts. I understand having a bad day, but this hotel's ads tout its "hometown hospitality." You don't have to fawn over me, but at least fake some civility instead of acting like I disturbed you. The bed was good, I got a great night's sleep. The pool and the hot tub were lovely (although the hot tub reeked of chlorine).The breakfast was very average: coffee, milk, cold cereal, English muffins, toast, small pastries, waffles you fixed yourself. When I gave her my name to check in, she looked at me as if I was crazy--and maybe I was, for staying here. I thought, well, "maybe she gets hit on all the time at this desk and so has a hard crust on her", and to be fair, she was back again at 8 a.m., twelve hours after she'd been at the desk before--maybe she's just crabby from sleep deprivation. Still, for $80 it wasn't a great experience. I'll try my luck at the Super Numeral place next time. I gave it an average rating on account of the pool and the bed. Otherwise it would have been a poor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We needed to find accommodations for 2 nights in Storm Lake, IA after being disappointed in our original reservation at another property. There were not many choices in this tourist area but we were thankful that the Baymont had one room left. Our stay was comfortable. I liked the sink outside the bathroom and the comfortable beds. We did not experience any hall noise while in our room. The morning breakfast was nothing special. The price was right.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This Baymont has be well taken care of and has some nice amenities that include a microwave and a mini frig in a standard room. While not fancy, it meets the needs of most travelers going through Iowa. It does have a nice sun room / pool area for rainy or cold days. At the time of my stay, the reservation system was not working properly so neither Travelocity nor Baymontinns.com showed a vacancy. If that happens - just call and see if they have a room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Papillion, Nebraska
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Baymont Inn staff was friendly and the place was clean. We loved our room, the family suite - it was spacious, clean, had a dining area and hot tub in the room. They even had some breakfast out at 0500 for marathon runners/families. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Room was clean and service was good. Bed was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Forest City, Iowa
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff at the front desk. Also, the hotel lobby and pool area looked nice.

However, I was disappointed when I got to my room. The room was poorly lit and a little dilapidated. The overhead light above the bed did not work, and the carpet was in poor condition...An iron had been left on the carpet, burning its imprint into the carpet. The fixtures, etc., looked dated. Though the room appeared dilapidated, on the plus side, it did appear fairly clean.

As another post indicated, there was some road noise outside.

The continental breakfast was okay...Bagels and donuts. For us non-coffee drinkers, juice to drink but no milk.

An "okay" place to stay (with the biggest "plus" being the friendly staff at the front desk), but for my next return to Storm Lake, I will likely explore other options.

• Liked — Friendliness of front desk staff, nice front lobby
  • Disliked — Dilapidated rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake
Boulders Inn & Suites Holstein

Been to Buena Vista Inn and Suites Storm Lake? Share your experiences!