“Probably Not Again”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Story City
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here for a business trip as I try to stay at places that I am program member. I was not recognized as a Choice Rewards Member which is no big deal but nice. The internet was spotty and seemed to be slow at some times. My biggest complaint with this property however was that this hotel is not completely smoke free and although I was in a smoke free room and there was not a hint of smoke in my room I did have to walk by 7 smoking rooms to get to my room and it reminded me of a casino. The other thing was that when I looked at my bill they nicked me for $1.50 safe charge. I hate that and most of the time they remove it when you complain, I would just rather find another property.

Room Tip: See if there is a complete non smoking floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mikreyn
Roy W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

I am so sorry that we failed to recognize your Choice Rewards Membership with us, regular guest like you are what make our hotels succesfull and it is our normal policy to recognize every Choice Privelges Member at check-in and make sure all thier needs are being met. We are retraining our team at the front desk to ensure they understand how important this is. I also want to apologize about being on a smoking floor since your visit our vice-president of operations has made a visit t the property and we are currently working on an action plan to convert our property to a completly smoke free facility. In regards to the safes in the rooms we wll make sure we communicate better to our guest that this is an optional item and the charge can be removed at the guest request. My goal is to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience and we failed to do that for you I would like to find a way to make things up to you if you would be willing to reach out to me I would love the opportunity to earn your business back.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed 13 May 2014

What a nice stay with comfy beds, quality heating, good breakfast, friendly staff and receiving the rooms you requested! This staff went out of their way to make sure we were well cared for with my 93 year old mother needing a handicapped room and connecting with ours. I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it. EVERY staff member we encountered asked if there was anything they could do for us. Thank you for being so attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Roy W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

THANK-YOU so much for your kind words in regards to the staff and your recent stay with us. We truly love to serve people here and treat each guest as part of our family. I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very nice place! The staff were excellent- very nice and professional! I was surprised to see that the pool was open until 11pm which was very welcomed (we had been moving friends all afternoon & evening and the spa was very relaxing). I was pleased to see that there was a bathroom with a shower located in the pool area also. Comfortable bed and pillows. The breakfast was simple, but good. The breakfast attendant did an excellent job keeping everything stocked. We will be back to stay!

Room Tip: If you do not plan on using the room safe, tell the desk person upon check in, it will save you a fe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark641
Roy W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our property. I am glad my staff were able to meet all your needs while you where here. We strive to serve people as we do our own family.......we look foward to the opportunity to serve you next time you are in the area. Again thank-you so much for your business.

Roy Watson/General Manager

Reviewed 17 March 2014

GM Roy Watson bent over backwards to make our hockey team and parents as comfortable as possible while making us feet appreciated. I have never had such treatment by any other hotel in all my stays all over the country. He made us feel that he genuinely appreciated our staying there. He had reserved a meeting room for our exclusive use during our three days and two nights there.. He stocked the room with snacks and beverages. He printed out pictures of our players and posted them on the doors to the dining room for all to see. Breakfast was above average for the single reason that we had meat with our breakfast. It was a decent breakfast. Roy asked us several times during our visit if we needed anything. Maintenance in my room and in the public areas were current and sound. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: Only used one room for the entire stay and we found it quiet and enjoyable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Roy W, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank-you so much for your compliments. We truly believe our purpose is to serve people and we love doing it. It was my pleasure to meet you and the team and I hope we get to see you every year. As always if you ever need anything please feel free to reach out to myself or my team anytime. I had so much fun working with your group everyone was so wonderful!

Roy Watson

Reviewed 8 February 2014

When we checked in I asked if they make cookies anymore. She said they usually do this during the week, but since they weren't busy she would make some. She did and delivered them hot to each room.We asked for restaurant ideas for pizza and the one she gave us was very good. We were able to get adjoining rooms with friends. We watched the super bowl there. The king rooms have couches so we could relax and watch the game. The pool was nice and very warm. Loved it. My only complaint is our room 114 was next to the mechanical room. There was quite a bit of noise coming from this room. I mentioned it to the manager when we left and he said they would check on it. Breakfast was good and hot.

Room Tip: Don't take room114 as it is next to the mechanical room and is loud.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Roy W, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank-you so much for your kind words. I am glad that you enjoyed the cookies we will make them anytime you stay with us. We know how important a warm pool is so we keep our pool at 85 degrees year around and our hot tub stays about 101. I want to apologize in regards to room 114 because it is next to a mechanical room we sometimes get noise from an exhaust fan we are working to move than fan to another location in the next few weeks. Thank-you for bringing this to our attention! Thank-you for allowing us to serve you we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights awaiting finding a home to rent, for a job transfer to the area. I called from Denver where I had a 6 hour layover, to let them know I wouldn't be arriving until past midnight. The front desk wasn't available when I phoned so I left a message. I have stayed in many Choice hotels and know from experience the front desk wears many hats and maybe busy elsewhere in the hotel. The hotel is easy to locate about 12 miles from Ames north on I35, just behind the McDonalds. When I arrived the temp outside was -12 with a wind chill of - 30 plus; my room was prepared with the heat on full blast and lights turned on at bedside and the table area. It was so nice to come into a room warm and lite up cozy. I had what I asked for; two beds, bottom floor (this is a three story bldg) very close to front desk, room 113. This is a handicap room and what it prefer when traveling with my dog. The floor space is much bigger for chasing a ball for your pooch. The breakfast is eggs ( the type you put on a breakfast sandwich) sausage links and patties, all types of donuts and breads, muffins, bagels, toast, cereals, boiled eggs, yogurt, etc etc. Normally this would be what is called a "deluxe continental" in a room service menu for about $14 a person at a Marriott type hotel. There is laundry for guest, vending machines, and an indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi , but I forgot my suit. Right next door there is an indoor type outlet mall with several stores you can look up it is called "Factory stores of America"/Story City. The town is just about one mile down the road and very adorable, there is a carousel in the town but of course it was closed as it was freezing. We ate at Pizza Ranch, which had awesome salads, and KFC right down the block and in Story City a quaint restaurant called Royal Cafe which had meals like grandma cooked. The hotel is clean, with newer updated furnishings, flat screens etc., refrigerator and microwave. I am impressed with the staff, manager and the rooms, it is a great deal for the price for 3 breakfast and two beds, and a pet at under $100 a night with tax.

Room Tip: I do not use room service I just ask for towel replacement etc
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Online_Relations12, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hi civilsister,

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words. I'll pass this on to them.

We're thrilled you found our quaint little town to your liking and hope you had a safe trip home. See you again soon!

Best,
Sam, on behalf of Comfort Inn Story City

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed while in town for a family funeral. Entire staff was very accomodating and mindful of our situation and reason for staying. We were able to get adjoining rooms so our family was able to stay together. The breakfast the next morning was more than we expected. We highly recommend staying at this fine establishment.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Online_Relations12, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hi Kirk,

Thanks so much for the kind words. We're pleased to learn we served you and your family well during what must have been a tough time. We're sorry for your loss.

Best,

Red Roof Inn Ames
#11 of 20 in Ames
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Hampton Inn & Suites Ames

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!