Kinabalu Mountain Lodge
US$23
  • Free Internet
Laban Rata(Kundasang)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnational parkthe main roaddouble roomshared bathroomplaying cardstwo nightskinabalu mountaingreat place for nature loversview from the balconyclean showerwonderful scenerymin walkwet clotheslocal foodsmall tablea great stayfresh vegetables
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely basic lodge with a beautiful view of the valley at the base of Mt Kinabalu. The trip to the lodge is a bit off road so hopefully your transport mode is prepared and happy to stay in 1st gear to get up some of the hills. The facilities are well maintained but we were ill prepared for the backpacker-like services ie. they provide a lovely breakfast but no other meals - so dinner might be instant noodles! The house cat is a lap and cuddles lover so if you don't mind a couple of mountain flees he's great company. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. A great value, basic place to rest before hitting the mountain or just for some quiet time lost in nature.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank tundeR23
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Staffs are very friendly and helpful! The road to the hotel is very steep and is very slippery during rainy days. If you are driving there, you may park at retirement centre and ask the hotel for pick up. There are many moths and butterflies surrounding the lodge and is very cold up there. A good place to escape from noise and indulged with nature

Room Tip: I would prefer Double Room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank vveivvei
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked at Kinabalu Mt. Lodge because based on what we read it is close to some of the tourist spots like Kinabalu Park, Poring Hot Spring etc. plus it’s inexpensive. To get there, we hired two vans. The drivers charged us 20RM per person plus 5RM per heavy baggage. We thought it’s expensive but while travelling, we realized it’s a fair price. One driver brought his guests up to the Lodge but our driver dropped us off on the main road, a kilometer away from the lodge. One kilometer and it’s not a mere walk, it’s a hike. So best be prepared. I might have enjoyed the walk if I wasn’t carrying two backpacks with me. But the view while walking is nice, it’s walking in and through the clouds.

We were welcomed by Ivy, the manager. It was nice of her to make the extra effort to make us feel at home once we arrived.

Settling payments and room assignments were also easy as we have booked online. The lodge is nice, and really has that often used place appeal. It’s not very big; I guess 3 groups of 6 to 8 in the hallway will fill the place up. We had our dinner in the TV since there’s only one table that sits 4 guests only and we are 12, some are sitting on the sofa, some are sitting on the floor. Too bad we can’t watch any movies but there’s lifestyle channel and we are good. There’s a kitchen that guests can use if they decide to cook. There are also a few drinks for sale so you won’t have to walk a kilometer to buy. The free drinking water is from faucet but goes through a filter.
The staff there is nice and helpful, even if they don’t talk a lot. They lent us extension cord with no hesitation or deposits.

We book a Japanese room that can accommodate 4 guests. So the beds are on the floor, the ceiling is very low that my friend accidentally bumped her head twice. It’s pretty dark even if we are using fluorescent lamp. Two minutes sitting on my bed, I can already see insects crawling on the very white sheets. I brushed some away but there are just too many to keep watch. I only pity those that are crushed when I was sleeping. I guess our window is open that is why many insects can get inside.

The area, when you get there, is nice, pretty isolated, quiet in a sense that there’s not much man made noise… although when there’s someone talking on a nearby room, you can hear them. It’s pretty cold at night and early morning. I’m glad it wasn’t windy because that will be another problem to tackle. The hot water is available for limited time, in the morning before 9AM and in the evening before 8PM. Be sure to bathe with the fewest possible bathers as possible as the water turns cold when there are lots of people who are using showers.

There are lots of insects, different varieties, and different sizes. I saw some tiny winged butterfly and I also saw emperor moth larger than may hand. I also saw lots of beetles. There are hundreds and maybe thousands of insects that can be seen. It’s like a natural museum. Good thing most of them are on the balcony. A glass wall separates us from most of them. There are also a lot of insect in the bathing area, I think I have to duck twice to avoid some flying ones. I also have to watch my step because some of them are crawling.

As for food, they only serve vegan. I don’t eat vegan foods and too late for me to find out as we are already booked. I don’t have any food with me so we asked them to serve me bread, eggs and butter. But they also added jam, peanut butter and cheese so I’m a happy woman. The vegan dinner is served generously; there are extra portions for those who want more. Some of my friends did not finish their dinner because they are also not used to eating vegan meat. The dinner is composed of a curry dish, some steamed vegetables, friend eggs, rice and a portion of vegan meat. Breakfast is a choice between noodles or toasts, and unlimited coffee.

Room Tip: close your windows and doors because there are lots of insect, not just butterflies that might fly inside take turns taking shower, the water will be cold if you all use showers at the same time
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Thanks to kinabalu mountain lodge for a very good experienced and helpful staff. Although we have to walked for almost 1km to the lodge. But it's really worth it to see a beautiful environments and nature. The room was very basic but most importantly it was very neat and tidy. Bathroom was clean but no Hot water. With a sharing basis. We wakeup at 4.30am. It's so early but we had a nice and warm water for shower. Felt so lucky to have a hot water for a shower. Breakfast was provided. We had a bread, scrambled egg with cheese n tomato. If you're planning to climb up to the Mountain Kinabalu, you can asked the staff to arrange the transportation. We paid Rm5 per person.The lodge not recommended for family. But it was awesome for backpackers.

Rossazleny
Penang,Malaysia

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Lodge was very basic. It has share toilet and bathrooms. However the hot water was insufficient for big crowds. It is too far away from the main road to walk out for food or shopping. However there is vegetable stalls at the junction to this property. The building is set into natural surroundings with a lot of insects coming to the lights at night. We get to see a lot of butterflies and moths of different shapes and patterns. One even had houseflies imprinted on its wings. This place is perfect for nature lovers who seek some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends