“Welcome surprise!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Traer
Flint, Michigan
“Welcome surprise!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We took a chance and stayed at the local "Golden Door" during the July 4th holiday weekend. What a pleasant experience. The room was very clean and appeared to have been newly refinished. The beds were great too. The owner, Scott, went out of his way to be very accommodating to the point of bringing us a coffee pot and everything you would need for a cup of coffee. It was great to be able to stay locally while visiting family. We can't say enough great things about our visit. Will stay there again. The only suggestion we would make is the building outside needs some curb appeal. When we first arrived we were a bit apprehensive, but that went away immediately. Scott is a fabulous owner. The experience was far better than the chain motels and you will never be treated as well as you will at the Golden Door. Now, if someone in this small town could open a small restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, that would be great.

Ron and Sandy from Michigan

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ron M

Solo
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Door, in a street-side room, for several days in early December while we visited family in the area. Our stay was perfect: the room was very clean and well-equipped, the bed was comfortable, linens and towels spotless, and everything--heat, lights and lamps, plumbing, TV, wifi--worked well.

Enthusiastically recommended to anyone visiting or passing through this part of Iowa.

Andy&Suzy

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew J
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I don't say this flippantly and I have been critical on some of my reviews, but this is the most accommodating motel I have ever stayed at. Not only was Scott (the owner) accommodating, the room was immaculate. Because i was staying for an extended amount of time he rented me the 1 bedroom apartment for a great rate. I had a stove and full size frig, separate bedroom with a 42' flat screen. The bed was wonderful and comfortable. The bathroom was small and had a small shower, but this was the only drawback to the room. But the most phenomenal thing was how he treated my dog. I usually take my faithful friend with me during the day, but on this project i was not able to so he was having to be crated most of the day. Scott offered to walk him during the day while i was at work (he is a great dog, but i don't like to impose)... reluctantly i agreed. Well, not only did Scott walk him, but i found out a little later that he was letting Tripp (my dog) stay out with him while he preformed his daily hotel duties. He even took Tripp to his home a block away letting my dog play with his dog. I spend months away from home on the road, in many motels, I have never felt so welcome or comfortable in a motel. If you ever find yourself in the Traer, IA or for that matter, Waterloo, Cedar Falls or anywhere in a 50 mile radius. stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank tmppilotcar
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is by far the best motel we had ever stayed at. The owner, Scott, was just awesome! Check in was simple. The weekly rate was incredibly unimaginable for a wonderful facility. Housekeeping was great. Scott always tried to accomodate us on all of our needs. From doing laundry at his facility to finding restaurants and hospitals. He was friendly, considerate and went out of his way even to wash our personal towels before we left. Now what motel does that for a person??? I honestly have not been to one. Also, we love that he never bothers us like many nagging owners I have know to complain about everything. We truly enjoyed our stay here and highly recommend to anyone passing by who is looking to stay for a night or a week. Excellent Service! Thank you Scott! Marlene, John and the crew.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Honesty0911
Sanford, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I came in on a Saturday, The stay was amazing! Scott, Then innkeeper had my room looking amazing! He told me where to eat, What too see, And places to go when i have nothing to do! I came to visit my family, And it was an amazing stay! I loved the Winding stair festival! I loved the little town , Everyone was so nice & generous . Amazing Stay, Gonna come again soon!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JackkR
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Clean and neat room, friendly innkeeper, good price; everything we like in a motel. The room had a fridge and microwave, and the WiFi was great. I would recommend to the owner that the heating thermostat be fixed, and the baseboard heater have the radiant fins turned vertically for better performance. We will be back to the Golden Door even though the doors are green!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lesbriggs
GoldenDoorMotel, Owner at Golden Door Motel, responded to this review, 5 June 2010
Hi Les, Thanks for the favorable review and the tip on the heating system. It was fun running across your review. Hope to see ya again. - Terrie & Scott Smentek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Traer
Hampton Inn Waterloo
Hampton Inn Waterloo
#1 of 15 in Waterloo
Designer Inn and Suites
Super 8 Toledo
Super 8 Toledo
#2 of 2 in Toledo

Been to Golden Door Motel? Share your experiences!