Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Hotel was found quite easily, and in a great location in the Des Moines suburbs. Checkin was slow, but friendly. We got a room on the bottom floor. Room had a very strange smell, could be because it had rained alot and a musty odor from the AC unit. The beds were OK, not the most comfortable. Room was very spacious, corners could have been cleaned a little better, felt a little dirty, but could be because of the smell. Bathroom was clean. Breakfast was sparse, but hot. Very tiny area to sit, but they opened the conference room so we were able to sit comfortably in there. Felt a little overpriced for what we got. There is a Culvers and Ruby Tuesday within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Debbie D, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
I am sorry that your stay was less than pleasant and the priceing was due to our State Fair going on. Our initial breakfast area is smaller but the side room attached seats up to 40.We offer a complimentary breakfast that includes waffles, bisquits & gravy, 3 types of hot and cold cereals, several different pastries & breads, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh and cup fruit, juice and coffees. We are in the process of replacing beds with newer ones and we have converted every room from older TV's to the newer flat screens. And the musty smell was due to the excessive rain and cool weather we had been having.Please try us again the next time you are through this area
Troy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The price of this hotel does not match the hotel. The rooms are ok and they are clean but there are no amenities. There are only 3 or 4 small tables in the breakfast area. The beds were not comfortable at all. They need to be updated. I did not sleep well at all. As well as the bed not being comfortable, we could hear a dog in another room barking most of the night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

I am sorry that your stay was less than pleasant. We do offer amenities both in room (shampoo,conditioner,soap) and at the front desk ( toothbrush, toothpaste,comb,razors,shaving cream, etc.). Our initial breakfast area is smaller but the side room attached seats up to 40.We offer a complimentary breakfast that includes waffles, bisquits & gravy, 3 types of hot and cold cereals, several different pastries & breads, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh and cup fruit, juice and coffees. We are in the process of replacing beds with newer ones and we have converted every room from older TV's to the newer flat screens. We are a pet friendly hotel and I am sorry you were disturb by one. Please whenever you stay over at a hotel let the front desk know immediately that you are being disturb. As I'm sure they will try and get the situation solved. Please try us again the next time you are through this area.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night and are glad we did not book for two nights. We called in advance to confirm we would be arriving the next day and to ensure that our special request came through from an online third-party. We explained that we would be driving from some distance and said, simply that we may be there a little before or after the check-in time of 3:00. Debbie said, "Oh, no, you won't be checking in early because we have the Junior Olympics here in town and some of those folks are staying another night but those that check out at 11:00 in the morning when you arrive means we may not have a clean room for you by check-in at 3:00." Okay. I explained I meant around 2:30 or so and Debbie then said, "Not going to happen". Hoping we didn't make good time on the roads to Iowa (LOL), we set off for a hopeful 3:01 check-in time. When we arrived closer to 4:00 Barb at the front desk was very busy. We finally get to check-in and show our ID plus provide our license plate number when she says, "Let me check the room to make sure it was cleaned and the beds were made." (Wait, what?) She comes back a moment later and tells us it looks good and that check-out is at 11:00 am. I show her the confirmation printout that says check-out is at noon when she says, "Well, they're wrong". Some customer service training would have led to an answer of, "Do you need a later check-out? We may be able to work something out." Or, "I'm sorry that online third-party has that listed, we've been trying for sometime to get them to change it to the correct time but have not yet been successful." No such luck, so...failure number two at the front desk, so far. So...We get to our room and there are hand prints all over the mirrors behind the headboards. I guess they didn't clean those. It was not until the next morning when I opened the shower curtain that I found a HUGE and disgusting set of black footprints in the shower that I realized, hmm...I guess they didn't clean the shower, either. Great. My husband half-jokingly says that maybe maintenance had been fixing something in the shower. "BAREFOOT?", is what I say. We thankfully check out at 11:03 am and ask for a receipt. Ashley gives us a receipt with the wrong price on it. Management comes out and tells us it is Ashley's first day working there and that we were not supposed to see that receipt/price since it is what the online third-party pays the hotel. I tell the manager, okay, I just didn't want them to have the wrong price or be billing us for a smaller room or something but that we need a receipt for tax purposes, since this is a business trip. She tells me the original email I got from the online third-party with the hotel confirmation should suffice as a receipt. I explain that we have stayed in MANY hotels after booking through the online third-party and we always get some sort of receipt at check-out showing we actually stayed there (anyone can book a room, cancel, and say then say they stayed for a write-off, is what I was thinking, so the email would not be enough). The manager says, "Oh, I do taxes for people too, you'll be fine with what you've got in the email." Wow. My husband and I give up and leave, knowing we are going to write a review of the customer service we received, exactly as it all occurred. The hotel itself is just okay and is nothing special. The bad customer service and terrible attitudes of three employees in a row (Debbie, by phone on Friday morning, Barb on Saturday afternoon during check-in at the front desk, and the manager at check-out on Sunday morning who wasn't wearing a name badge) was just too much. This is not a place we will be staying at a second time, even though we will be visiting this same area in the near future for business again, soon.

Room Tip: Your tip in choosing a good room is to book at a different hotel altogether.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that your stay was not completely enjoyable. I do want to apologize for the service you got. As the new GM I am striving to educate our employees in all protocols of safety and standards to help the guests in these type of situations. Our check in time is 3pm but if the room is available we try to get our guests in at that time. When the clerk said she needed to check if the room is clean, it only means that the housekeeping dept. has not updated us with any new cleans and we are double checking. This way we make sure you go into a clean room. As far as the receipts in the morning, we do not have receipts for anyone that books with what are called 3rd parties. Those parties email you the receipts for your stay. I apologize for the misconception.Please give us a try next time you are in the area.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I am in the middle of relocating across the country, we stayed in this location for our second night of our trip. The hotel was conveniently located near the highway exit.

This hotel was clean and kept up well. The beds were comfortable.

The free breakfast was good and the dining facilities were clean.

This hotel is also pet friendly.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your trip. Our facility is pet friendly with a minimal fee for the stay. This way our 4 legged friends are able to stay comfortably with their families too. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip through this area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines? Share your experiences!