“Average food, high prices”

Mama Lacona's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 89 Restaurants in Urbandale
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dallas Center, Iowa
“Average food, high prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I ate dinner there tonight and neither of us was terribly impressed. Mama Lacona's is supposed to be an Italian restaurant, but they mostly serve basic American foods. The service was less than par, with the waiter disappearing for over 15 minutes without ever checking back with us.

My wife had the lasagna and she said it was okay, but not something that should be costing as much as it did. I had the Scampi, because the menu said "with our special and secret Scampi sauce". It was neither special or secret. Plan drawn butter with garlic and perhaps some rosemary in it too. The pasta was overcooked and overall it was okay, but for the price they charge it should have been so much better.

• Visited April 2014

Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of my favorites,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This has been one of my favorite restaurants in the Des Moines area for over 25 years. It is good old style, home cooked Italian food, just like grandma used to make. Charlie's rolls can't be beat. My favorite menu items are the baked ravioli casserole and pizza, my husband likes the chicken spediinni. Nothing fancy, just great food!

• Visited November 2013
“One of our favorite spots!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have been eating at Mama. Lacona's for many years. I have not had anything I didn't like. One of my favorites though is the pizza. We order this often, sometimes to eat at home. The dinner rolls are to die for! YUM! Great for couples, families or really anything! I like the new location too! I highly recommend this spot to any newcomers! They have been around for so long with good reason! Try it, you'll love it!!

• Visited November 2013
Des Moines
“Good Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had dinner here on a Saturday evening and didn't have to wait for a table. The complimentary bread basket had a couple of different breads and butters to select from which were good. I had the cesar salad with grilled shrimp and the shrimp were very nicely cooked. My husband had the pork marsala which came with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. Both dishes were really good. The atmosphere was fine, they have a large menu as well as an extensive drink list.

• Visited January 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great place to dine with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This family owned restaurant has been in business for many years. They have kept up with the times in both menu and decor. Wide selection of items, something for everybody including some things you won't find other places. Our food has been delivered as ordered and hot every time we have been there. Prices are family friendly. Great place to have family get togethers as well as "date night."

• Visited August 2013