“New, very nice Fairfield Inn”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Litchfield, Minnesota
“New, very nice Fairfield Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here one night before moving our college age son into Drake University. We were welcomed and helped immediately upon arrival by the front desk. Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable. Everything is new with very sleek, modern furnishings. We didn't utilize the pool or exercise room, but peeked into both and they seemed great. Breakfast was much like other offerings at other hotels: make your own waffles, eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon and sausages, cereal, muffins, yogurt, etc. When visiting our son at school down the road, we'll go back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Franklin, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here one night, it was very nice. The beds are really comfortable. Room was clean, very up-to-date. One complaint would be breakfast - it was ok. Eggs, biscuits & gravy, would have liked to have some form of meat. Overall very nice!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Okoboji, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This appears to be a very new Fairfield Inn and a very nice one. The lobby is upscale and large with an open seating area for breakfast. Our room was nice but a bit odd. It was huge but with a lot of open space. There was room for a sofa and sitting area but no furniture in that area. Perhaps the furniture had not arrived yet or the room was just an odd shape as it was by the elevator. At any rate, the room, bathroom, and bed were very nice as was the hotel overall.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a family of 5, we look for reasonably priced hotels with a pool, free breakfast, and free internet. This Fairfield was a hit with the family. We were too tired to swim but it looked as though other families were having a good time. Our room was clean and stocked (bless you prideful housekeeping staff!). The free wifi streamed movies on three digital devices (why won't kids watch regular tv?) with no issues. Breakfast was well stocked and the area kept clean. I'd also like to thank Samantha, who worked the front desk. She laughed at the children's (12, 9, 3) quibbles and other antics, graciously found the last rollaway and pillows, and delivered with professionalism. She was bsck at the desk for morning checkout...with a smile. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a brand new Fairfield so it is spotlessly clean & up-to-date. My first impressions were excellent but, unfortunately, there were a few issues. The walls are paper thin. Let's face it: when it comes to a hotel, sleep quality is second only to cleanliness, and sleep quality is rarely good where there is inadequate soundproofing. We stayed here during AAU Jr Olympics and there was a lot of noise from the teenagers in the next room. I tried to call the front desk FOUR times about the noise only to get a busy signal. I finally had to go down to the front desk myself to get help. The breakfast was alright but out of many items. The hotel was booked solid for Jr Olympics but they were unprepared to accomodate so many guests, and only seemed to have on the same amount of staff as they would on any given Monday night. Subsequently, the service was lacking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PTWife
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Let me start by saying I am very picky about my hotel stays:) This is a beautiful new hotel located conveniently right off the interstate. Large, spacious, CLEAN rooms with a great layout plan along with plenty of outlets for all our cell phones, computers, ect. The staff here is AWESOME! Michelle who checked us in was very nice:) We had an issue with some loud, drunk, obnoxious ball team adults. We notified the manager, Thressy, and she took care of it immediately! Pool was small but clean & nice. I enjoyed the hot tub:) They also have a comfortable sitting area right outside the pool. My family was very happy to find a Pizza Ranch, Ruby Tuesdays, Culvers & an Arby's all practically within the hotels parking lot! This was a great hotel experience and when in the area we will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Nice, new motel. Clean (huge for me) and large rooms. There was room for my grandson's pack and play which was a big plus!
Only one chair in our room but it was a comfortable office chair and we were visiting relatives in Des Moines so that was fine. Beds comfortable.
I couldn't call the front desk using the front desk button on phone. Told two desk clerks one morning that our phones weren't working and they said they'd report it to the manager. Happened to catch the manager the second morning and she told me to use the 0 (zero) button for the front desk and 9 for out line. Until she told me I followed the directions on the phone which told me to dial 8 for long distance, not 9, and there was a front desk phone button to use.
Motel opened in April so by July 25 they should have included these instructions in the key card pack, in my opinion.
Breakfast great for me, a diabetic. I had fresh fruit and boiled eggs. Lots of other foods on breakfast buffet.
Staff polite but not well enough informed about phone system problem. Motel full first night so the elevators broke down for awhile. But we didn't have to wait too long and desk clerk offered us free cold bottles of water.
Inconsiderate guests kept at least 3 luggage carts in their rooms so we couldn't use one for our luggage. They needed a sign to inform rude guests who didn't know any better. Supposedly they were phoning rooms to see who had the luggage carts so that wasn't motel's fault.
I'd stay there again and they will surely get details improved soon.

Room Tip: There were lots of adults and children staying in motel both nights we were there and we had a room...