“Won't stay again”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Waterloo, Iowa
“Won't stay again”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My non-smoking king suite had an ash tray in it, smelled like smoke and had several cigarette burns in the carpet. Doesn't have a drive- up covered area to unload/load luggage. Tiny lobby area and no lounge area to hang out with large groups of friends. Continental breakfast very limited items to chose from. Would not recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank rules24
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry that your room smelled of smoke. Your comments were reviewed by our staff, and we are taking steps to ensure your experience is not repeated. I apologize that we do not have a covered drive-up or lounge at our hotel. Lastly, I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you for your review. We hope we have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had no major issues, but we did have to ask for a hairdryer and shampoo, they had no conditioner. Grab and Go breakfast leaves a bit to be desired. There are no frills but all the staff were courteous and friendly and we would stay there again. It was reasonably priced and our room was clean.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ginger D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Ginger - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy that we were able to provide you with a clean room at a great rate. As well, I am glad that you found our staff to be courteous and friendly during your stay with us. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast and in-room amenities did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here last night in room 213. We booked this room through Hotwire for a great rate of $50/night. It was rated as a 2.5 star hotel according to Hotwire. We checked in about 4:30pm and a young man named Jake checked us in. He was very friendly and efficient. Had absolutely no issues with check-in and found it to be one of the quickest check-ins I have experienced. The hotel is basically a "no-frills" place designed to accommodate people staying for longer periods of time. So, the kitchen in the room wasn't needed. We would have preferred a place that had more of a free breakfast and some other amenities, but that is what you get when you book through Hotwire-- you don't know what you will end up with. The breakfast was really basic-- Coffee, granola bars, pre-packaged muffins, and a selection of fruit. I found the hotel to be really clean and the room was also very clean. The place was pretty quiet and did not experience hearing any noises coming from the hallways or other rooms. What I do like about this hotel is the air-conditioner and heat are on a thermostat. many hotels in this price range do not feature this and it seems you can never get the temp just right. I like the thermostat units found here. The hotel is located right on I-80/35, however, I didn't really notice the noise coming from the interstate at all.
I felt for the money it cost us to stay here, it was a pretty good value overall.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Greg – Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It’s great to hear that our staff was friendly and efficient when you checked in. As well, I’m glad you enjoyed your clean, quiet room. Your feedback will be very useful as we continue to improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed for a weekend trip in a a room at the Extended Stay (two nights 12/27 and 12/28). Some tips Bring your own lotion, shampoo, conditioner and dishwashing soap. The shampoo and dish soap were available by asking at the front desk. A suggestion to management is have the check in staff tell people, your room does not have shampoo and dish soap. Here is a basket of items for you to take if you want it.

I had made a trip down already for a blanket - needed also - so chose not to head back down for soap when I needed it later. Upon check in, they did have a basket of items to take if you needed but I had no idea that they did not provide soaps in the room at that time.

I did like the location and were were able to easily find restaurants but driving was a necessity. The room was clean. The lamp on/off switch wasn't functioning while at the hotel but chose not to ask for it to be fixed. I also found the room temp impossible to control. We had room 231.

This is my third stay at a Extended Stay America since July (other locations were St Louis and Madison). This one was certainly not a 2 1/2 star in my opinion but it is an option for sleeping.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that communication about not providing shampoo, conditioner and a soap dish in the room was not done properly. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be sure to communicate this at check in. I appreciate you letting us know about the light fixture switch not working so we can get this repaired promptly. Still, I'm so pleased to hear that our location was convenient for your stay. Also, I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room.

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Fire alarm went off 2 different nights. Not the fault of the hotel - people burned meals and then opened the door to air out the room. It was annoying and woke me from sleep the first time. The location is convenient - right off of the interstate. Nothing much around it in terms of restaurants, etc. It's a place to camp for the night. Wireless was ok. I did ask about an exercise room - there is none. A brochure in the room read that if there was no exercise room, the hotel likely had an agreement with a local club. No dice and no offer of any suggestions where to go.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Tom - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our hotel's location and your room overall. Still, I am very sorry that the fire alarm disturbed you during your stay and that a fitness option was not outlined at check-in. Please know, we take guest safety very seriously, so while we are saddened that smoke triggered our alarms, we are glad to hear that they guided you to safety when needed. As well, your comments were reviewed by the staff, and moving forward we will better explain our fitness facility location to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at DMU@extendedstay.com.
It's great to hear that our location is convenient for you. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This was an okay stay. The staff at this hotel is great, extremely helpful and nice. The rooms were dated, and definitely showed signs of wear. Our room had an odd smell, almost like old cooking oil. The bed was very uncomfortable.

It was a decent stay, mostly because it was inexpensive.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us.

The situation you described regarding the bed comfort and room odor is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to monitor for smells when checking rooms. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at DMU@extendedstay.com

It's great to hear that the staff was friendly and nice. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
IOWA CITY, IOWA
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Not so good experience in the past. However, gave them a second chance. They tried really hard. Staff is excellent. Location good- with a car. Wish they had a pool- we would stay more often. Great for short stays.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your previous stay was not the best; however I am glad to read that you were pleased with your most recent stay at our hotel. As well, I am very happy that you found our staff to be excellent and that you enjoyed our location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Des Moines Urbandale
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale? Share your experiences!