“Overated and overpriced won't return. I'm not difficult to please but this is a rip off.”

The Black Horse Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Horse Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Thurnham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nestling in the picturesque North Downs it���s hard to believe that Maidstone is only a stones throw away from Thurnam���s Black Horse Inn. Looking from the outside like the most traditional pub in Britain ��� white washed, tile hung, sash windowed, sign swinging in the breeze ��� inside will come as no great shock. In winter you���ll find a roaring fire in the imposing brick fireplace, dried hops drape from the ceiling and antiquey dark wood is in abundance. In summer diners can head outside to a paradise of shadey pergolas, ponds and green lawn or eat in the conservatory. Homegrown produce is key in a sophisticated menu which combines traditionalism with contemporary dining with impressive results.
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We met a couple of friends for lunch on Saturday and it wasn't the first time I'd been here as I lived local for a few years. For a pint in the country it's fine and I can't comment on the accommodation as I've never stayed here, however the food I can comment on. The last couple of times over the past 18 months haven't been great but Saturday just gone was awful. We ordered drinks and I was given an apple juice rather than an apple and mango J20 as ordered. When I complained I was told it was a j20, well I've drank it for years and I know what a j20 tastes like. I asked for another but just the bottle. Funny it was a completely different taste and colour, No apology! I ordered goat cheese and thyme terrine on a beetroot bed, it was a triangle thin slither of goat cheese (no resemblance to a terrine) on sour beetroot. We hadn't been checked and really It was awful, I had to ask for some bread just to eat the cheese. At £7.00 it was a complete rip off. I wouldn't have eaten it at all had I not been in the company of people I'd just met and didn't want to appear difficult or embarrass anyone. Most mains were £20.00 however my main course was one of the cheaper options, but a country pub staple. Beef and ale suet pudding. I didn't order one of the more expensive as the couple of times I'd been previously I felt they were average and overpriced. The mains arrived and were ok but again we wasn't asked once we had started if our meals were ok. The meat pudding was full of cheap cut beef and very very dry. No gravy in the pudding at all. A quarter of the way through I asked for some gravy but actually by the time the gravy came I decided the thick dry suet pudding wasn't worth putting gravy on and sent the meal back, declining the option to re-order given my friends were half way through and actually the food really is quite average.
I'm very fair with reviews but £95.00 for a Saturday lunch for 4, even after having one main taken off. And only a couple of drinks, surly staff and poor overpriced food this place really is, only worth a pint due to its country location. There are plenty of better value pubs and restaurants like the fish on the green, soufflé or cock horse, to spend your hard earned money, where the service is with a smile, from an adult. I'm a trained chef and know good food. This really wasn't worth what is charged. My companions agreed after the meal it wasn't great and having spoken to a few other local friends it turns out they to, now avoid the pub for the same reasons. Big Thumbs down for this one I'm afraid!

3  Thank Michael H
There are newer reviews for The Black Horse Inn Restaurant

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent Bank Holiday Monday lunchtime here quite by chance as the pub in a nearby village was full. I'm glad we drove on to Thurnham! The Black Horse Inn is a real gem of a pub, in a lovely location. Although clearly busy, and without a reservation, the staff helpfully organised another table for us. The pub has a great atmosphere - lots of nooks and crannies, hops hanging from the ceiling etc. There is a good selection of ales and cider, and an extensive bar or restaurant menu. Food is presented well, generous portions, and reasonably priced. A 'specials' board is also offered. The service is excellent and the waitresses very polite and helpful - nothing too much trouble. Whether you pop in for a pint and baguette, or a three course meal for a special occasion I do not think you will be disappointed. Seating is available outside which looks well maintained (as it was a Bank Holiday it was, of course, raining!). We will certainly be returning. The pub also has a number of 'chalet' type rooms adjacent to the pub which looks worth a try for an overnight or short break.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I attended a wedding at this resteraunt, it was lovely , a lot of attention was given to detail, the food was lovely and the staff very attentive. It has a lovely "old world" atmosphere with exposed beams and an ingle nook , I look forward to going back for dinner one evening.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Myself and my wife visited the black horse inn the food was great service great
And a fab setting will be going back in near future,
I booked one of my staff in to stay the rooms are great and good value.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Black Horse is not far from where we live, but for anyone not local, it is rather out of the way. However, it is definitely worth the detour; the menu has some old favourites, but also some very different dishes on offer. The chicken stuffed with Toulouse sausage was lovely and the steak pudding was the best my husband had ever had (including mine!). Not cheap, but a tip for anyone living in Kent is to apply for their own loyalty card, which gives 10% off when you book a table in advance for most dining times.