“Lovely Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Horse Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurnham
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We have booked our Wedding here and decided to sample the restaurant. The meal was out of this world and the service and welcome on this and our other visits to date have been outstanding. We have had several recomendations and are really looking forward to the Summer when we hold our wedding here as we are certain we have made the right choice

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed here last Summer (2013) with my three young children and we had a wonderful time. The accommodation was great, we had Honeysuckle cottage, which fitted me and the three children perfectly. It was quiet and relaxing despite their being a wedding reception in the Inn on one of the evenings - we heard nothing of it. The staff were all lovely and treated my young children as adults, which they loved. The restaurant was very quaint in a good way, very olde worlde and the food was exceptional. My children eat off the adult menu always and they asked if we could stay there again as the food was so good. I will return to this little oasis in the heart of the Kent countryside.

Room Tip: It is a steep walk from the lower levels if you don't take your car down, so more elderly people...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here in September while visiting my grandfather.
It was all a bit last minute and my parents were staying elsewhere but after seeing my accommodation they wished they'd stayed here too!

The pub was excellent, quaint but modern and stylish. The food was absolutely delicious... I recommend the tomato and chorizo risotto with salmon!

The accommodation may not be to everyone's taste but I liked it. Simple, smart, and clean with personal touches like an umbrella at the door for those all-too-common rainy days.

The location was quiet, fresh and absolutely beautiful.

The only issue I had was that the flush was broken on the toilet and with it being a Saturday night a plumber was not available to come out and fix it and there were no other rooms available. I was offered a discount on my room for this though.

Look out for the ADORABLE Bill the cat! He's so friendly and sweet and belongs to one of the girls at the inn.

DEFINITELY recommended, I am looking forward to going back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed recently for a couple of nights and found the inn a mix of fantastic character and wonderful food, with pretty average accommodation. It could have been that we had the last room available and it was a long hike up and down a hill to the furthest chalet. Mirrors at weird heights so that you couldn't see your head in them (and I'm average height) and unable to use the bathroom mirror for shaving (husband) or contact lenses (me) as too far away from the washbowl that was large and clumsy and which you had to lean over. The decor was not that of 4star accommodation. But the food was definitely extremely good. So a mixed review. Would like to have given ideally a score of 3 and a half. Good but not so good.

Room Tip: Ask for a chalet nearest to the inn if possible. And for a site map before you get there, particuar...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneCampionHoye
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

could not fault the chalet lodges, but the food i orderd (lamb balti) for an evening meal was very miserly for the price, i thought it was a childs dinner. would have had more pleasure eating a bag of nuts, very very dissatisfied, and when i asked to book my meal to my room the waitress commented that i never spent much, how disgraceful

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tommy h
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights with a wedding party. The chalet lodge style accommodation is beautiful. I saw a few as we were all popping in to see each other and get ready for the wedding and they are very spacious and clean with everything you could need inside. The pub is excellent with divine food. I had an evening meal and highly recommend the steak! The breakfast is included in the room price and is top notch. Couldn't ask for more. The room used for the wedding party 'after ceremony' sit down meal was also very spacious and we were aloud to decorate how ever we likes with no interference. If you are here for a wedding and the weather is dry ceremonies are held outside in a beautiful setting. Cannot express how much I enjoyed my two nights here and is outstanding value for money. In my opinion they should be charging more per night!!! Must stay here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
South Shields
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed here on business mid-week for one night. It was booked by a colleague so I was surprised when I first saw the accommodation - and if I'm honest, I'm a bit undecided. All the rooms are ground level, little chalets, which means that people walking past can see right into the bedroom, so you feel like you should have the curtains drawn if you want to lounge about. The room itself is very spacious, with a dressing table and a seating area (2 chairs and a table), and bathroom with shower over the bath. The bed was comfortable, although the duvet was a bit thick and I woke up during the night feeling really hot - I'm usually a cold person! Bathroom was clean-ish - a few hairs could be seen on the floor. It took a while for the water to heat up. The shower wasn't particularly powerful and the shower head definitely needs descaling - it didn't look very nice at all! Not what I would describe as luxury. Iron and ironing board in the cupboard was useful. Hairdryer was more powerful than the usual hotel ones. TV was tiny, but good to have Freeview. Breakfast in the pub was good quality - and the big pot of tea was appreciated. The pub is really special - with a nice atmosphere. I had food and drinks there the night before with no complaints. Might be worth a stay if you're looking for something a little different.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rachelique
TheBlackHorseInn, Owner at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thankyou for your comments - I will certainly pass details on to our Housekeepers and to our handyman to descale the shower heads!

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurnham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#5 of 15 in Maidstone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,430 reviews

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!