“Good food and a nice room”

The Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurnham
South Cerney, United Kingdom
“Good food and a nice room”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

A good size, warm and comfortable room with bunks for the children. A brolly is provided for the short dash through the garden to the pub, where there was plenty of choice for dinner. The lamb shoulder was tasty, and my husband enjoyed the hake from the interesting specials board. Two cheerful ladies served us breakfast which included local sausages. An enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Myself and family went here for a sunday lunch and it was very average and expensive in some departments.

I would like to say that the staff were a wondewrful bunch from the bar to waitresses and waiters.

The starters were ok albeit expensive, we had the baby squid, mushroom and camembert.
they all arrived in a timeley manor but my daughter had to wait some time for 2 bland rolls, which accompanied the camembert.
We opted for the roast dinners as i thought the lamb special at £21 was to much.
i had the pork belly turned into a roast which was very nice but the hole dish was very dry and had to ask for extra gravey.
My daughter had the beef roast which i thought was ok but she was not to inpressed, again we had to ask for extra gravey.
My wife had the vegetarian roast which was ok and again had to ask for for extra gravey which although was vegetarian it was more like gloop.
My daughter had the pear desert which was very nice.
Overall we do like this pub and have ate there many tiimes before , maybe it was an off day ?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave G
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night after spending the day In Maidstone.
We had a lovely family chalet style lodge right by the pub so a very little walk for our evening refreshments,
Our son loved the bunk beds and did not want to leave the next day, we found the mattress to be a bit tired, springs were noticeable however everything else was excellent, lovely hot shower in a well fitted ensuite room with two sinks and modern tiling.
Hot chocolate and a coffee cafateirre was a welcome touch, the breakfast here is served in the black horse and extremely nice ,still full some 5 hours later

Stayed February 2014
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We booked this following a look at the 'Dog Friendly' website so we knew the hotel allowed dogs in the bar/some accommodation. It really is a fantastic place. The 'Chalets' are lovely and allow immediate outdoor access without disturbing other residents-we even had a little box of towels for our dog (which was really useful following this years deluge of rain in the South of England!). The walks and scenery around are great and medieval architecture is pure 'Middle England'. 10/10 for the delicious food in the dining room. Feb 2014.

Room Tip: Some outside noise from the motorways and Eurostar but we heard nothing once indoors.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We have booked our Wedding here and decided to sample the restaurant. The meal was out of this world and the service and welcome on this and our other visits to date have been outstanding. We have had several recomendations and are really looking forward to the Summer when we hold our wedding here as we are certain we have made the right choice

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed here last Summer (2013) with my three young children and we had a wonderful time. The accommodation was great, we had Honeysuckle cottage, which fitted me and the three children perfectly. It was quiet and relaxing despite their being a wedding reception in the Inn on one of the evenings - we heard nothing of it. The staff were all lovely and treated my young children as adults, which they loved. The restaurant was very quaint in a good way, very olde worlde and the food was exceptional. My children eat off the adult menu always and they asked if we could stay there again as the food was so good. I will return to this little oasis in the heart of the Kent countryside.

Room Tip: It is a steep walk from the lower levels if you don't take your car down, so more elderly people...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gibraltar
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here in September while visiting my grandfather.
It was all a bit last minute and my parents were staying elsewhere but after seeing my accommodation they wished they'd stayed here too!

The pub was excellent, quaint but modern and stylish. The food was absolutely delicious... I recommend the tomato and chorizo risotto with salmon!

The accommodation may not be to everyone's taste but I liked it. Simple, smart, and clean with personal touches like an umbrella at the door for those all-too-common rainy days.

The location was quiet, fresh and absolutely beautiful.

The only issue I had was that the flush was broken on the toilet and with it being a Saturday night a plumber was not available to come out and fix it and there were no other rooms available. I was offered a discount on my room for this though.

Look out for the ADORABLE Bill the cat! He's so friendly and sweet and belongs to one of the girls at the inn.

DEFINITELY recommended, I am looking forward to going back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurnham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#12 of 15 in Maidstone
Days Inn Maidstone
Days Inn Maidstone
#14 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!