“Nice But...”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Granger, Iowa
“Nice But...”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Non-smoking still smells smokey. That is my only really big complaint. The hotel is nice, rooms are nice, bathrooms nice, pool nice, staff is nice (though front desk not overly friendly). I understand that it is connected to a casino where smoking is allowed, but they should have designed better so that the hotel rooms don't pick up that smell as well. We were on the 3rd floor and maybe other floors were better? We have stayed at another casino hotel that didn't pick up the smell at all. We were going to eat dinner at the Lone Wolf restaurant in the casino. It was really small and only one table was open, but we had a party of 7. We had to leave and eat somewhere else. We used the pool twice and it was nice. Hot tub was hot (not overly bubbly). Plenty of towels. Not much staff presence in pool area, which is not a bad thing. Pillows were weird - little and very puffy. Very nice shower.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirstin29
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hello Kirstin! Thanks for visiting us last month. We appreciate your business and your review. We do apologize that your room seemed to have a smell of smoke. If you experience that again, please let us know right away and we can either give you a different hotel room or bring up an industrial air purifier. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Iowa Falls, Iowa
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife & I went over to shop in Cedar Falls. Stopped @ Casino for a drawing. While we were there a snow/ice storm hit. We asked for a host, had him check our offers & comps & he gave us the last room in the place so we didn't have to risk driving home in the blizzard/ice. We got a mini suite with large whirlpool tub. What a nice way to spend a blizzard, whirl pooling with a TV in the bathroom. The room was nice, clean, comfortable, free internet & free with our offers & comp value. The only thing was the pigeons had made looking out the windows nasty. Good thing we didn't need to look for a view other than to see how bad the storm was. I was surprised the room was as nice as it was. We have stayed in some really nice casino's & were surprised by the quality.

Room Tip: Get at least a mini suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan M
Who would have ever guessed that we'd have a snowstorm in May, huh? Well, it sounds like you understand the benefits associated with our Fan Club card program and that our casino host was able to take good care of you. Sorry about those birds. With nicer weather, we were finally able to schedule another window cleaning. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We were looking to place to stay and kind of chose the Isle at random. We were very impressed. The rooms are large and have lots of extras. The food is good and there is a really great pool. The staff knows what they are doing and take extra steps to make sure things are right. (Yes, there is a casino too. But, we were there for other reasons and gambling was not on the agenda.)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Well, this review just made my day. My favorite comment in your review was: "The staff knows what they are doing and take extra steps to make sure things are right." What a great compliment! I have passed your comments along to our Hospitality Management, so that they can share this with their team. Thank you so much for the awesome review.
West Bend, WI
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The title says it all. Great check-in, room, price and friendliness (something often lacking at casino hotels). We'll be back any time we're in the area.

Our room was very large and up to date. Walk in shower was a treat. Hint, the towels are in a cubbyhole IN THE SHOWER. Great time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Between your review and the 5-star ratings you gave us, it sounds like you had an enjoyable stay in every way possible! We're so excited to see that and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for staying with us!
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 April 2013

It's a great rate, large room, and awesome shower with a bench. I stay here anytime I'm in the area on business.

Buffet breakfast doesn't open until 7 so if you need to get out early, plan to hit the drive thru at McD's or Panera down on San Maren.

Free wifi (which is unusual at casinos) and if you let the desk know at check in that you won't need housekeeping during your stay, you will get $10 of free casino play.

• Stayed April 2013
We're so thrilled by your title! Thank you for repeatedly choosing us as your preferred hotel in Waterloo. You also provided a great tip for guests by mentioning our "Go Green" initiative and the free WiFi. We look forward to providing you with many more great experiences!
Bennett, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 10 April 2013

It's a nice hotel. Quality, comfortable beds and bedding. Nice to have a thermostat vs. a unit in the room. Although I do think it took more time to cool to my comfort level, the ceiling fan helped on that though (don't see many of those in rooms.) The check-in staff needs a few refresher courses in hospitality, but I wrote that off to the fact that I had two little kids and was clearly not going to be a money loser in the casino, but one would like to think the level of customer service was ranked to that, but I'm a realist. Wasn't too thrilled with the choice of dining options, but I would bet others would be thrilled. To be honest, there were many options, but I didn't feel they were too kids friendly. Over all though it was a very nice room anda good nights rest, which is what a hotel is all about.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Kathryn, thank you for staying with us and calling attention to our hotel's details in your review (ceiling fans, individual thermostats, etc.). We also appreciate your fair judgment in regards to the dining options. We do try to have some kid-friendly options such as pizza in The Lone Wolf and a discounted children's buffet price, but ultimately, we do cater to a 21+ demographic due to the casino atmosphere. I have forwarded your review to our Hospitality management to address with their staff. Regardless of whether you plan to visit the casino floor or not, we always want our guests to be treated with the best customer service possible and we are sorry that you did not experience that as you checked into the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, Kathryn. We hope to see you again soon.
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I frequently gamble at the Isle of Capri in Waterloo. I personally have not had a bad experience there. The staff have always been top notch and most of the dealers at the card tables will socialize, which is cool. My only gripe is that I noticed that you only respond to comments that give you a good review. I would think that you could comment on some of the bad reviews and tell them that you apologize for the bad experiences and you'll try and work on correcting these in the future. Like I said, I haven't had a bad experience, but if I was to have knowledge of someone that has I would apologize and work on making it right. That's just me and how I'd run the operations.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ienvyno1
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Hello. I am pleased to hear you have had great experiences at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo - especially with our dealers. I also understand your point about the negative reviews. We do try to respond to most all complaints, as well as our compliments. However, sometimes the responses to complaints do take a little longer. We prefer to investigate the problem, talk with our staff about the issue and whenever possible, call the guest to discuss the problem and work towards a resolution. (Our hotel reservation and Fan Club systems can sometimes help us to track down their contact information.) We appreciate our guests' feedback and in cases where we are able to call them or contact them in a more personal way, we can get even more details to help us improve in the future and make the guest happy. But thank you for your review because it does keep that perception top of mind for us - that yes, sometimes it's not just about the indivdual, but also about letting others know as well. Thanks!