“It has it's short falls”

Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Davenport, Iowa
“It has it's short falls”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

They've had an on going problem with the heat/ac units in most all of the rooms for years. There is some design problem there from day one. It's difficult to maintain a comfortable temp. You are constantly adjusting the controls.

Sounds like the elevators need maintenance.

If you happen to get a room on one of the higher floors with the railing outside the windows, don't look out the curtain. They are always loaded with pidgeon droppings. That is something else that just stays that way. It's disgusting! Even the windows are plastered with it.

Remotes may not work for both tv's if you have more than one tv in your room.

The smaller suites have tiled floors in the entry. That sound echoes, poor design. If you have a room with an adjoining door, you can hear a conversation at normal volume almost as if the person was right in room! The whole places just echoes. Anyone closing a door somewhat hard at 2 a.m. you're going to be awakened, even from down the hall. Sound proofing? There is none.

One time my wife and I were staying in one of the junior suites with the tiled entry, just having a normal conversation in front of the tv, maybe our voices were a little more than normal. Next thing we know, here's security at the door with a noise complaint! After kids had been running up and down the hallway all night long that I guarantee you can be heard in ever room!

And what is up with the one cup coffee makers??!! Even in the larger suites! I know, I've seen other hotels cut back to this and it's a joke. Especially if it's even just two people staying in a room, a ONE CUP cheap coffee maker? Come on now folks. There ain't much you can do with that. Read the book, "Be My Guest" by Conrad Hilton. Give guests what you can, don't keep taking away. It is something that is being lost over time by many hotel/motels. It's not just here, but they seem to be falling into the same complacancey.

They have rebranded the buffet as 'Farmers Nicks". It's ok, some better than it was and that's about I can say for it. They still have the problem of wanting to seat everyone on top of each other for the breakfast buffet. My wife doesn't like it and I don't either. And we're not the only ones. One man was complaining about it sitting next to us one morning. As he said, you can't even sit and have a conversation with someone as the next table is at elbows length. He got up himself and moved to a booth. The waitstaff likes it because it's fewer steps with the tables crammed together.

Otis and Henrys, ok for sandwich. Just don't make the mistake of ordering a steak there. When they took out Farradays, well, I never did understand why they did that. It was good food. They did have something there. You can't get a decent dinner at this property.

This signs kept saying they were changing the bar area within the Casino to "make it better". They totally ruined it! Spent money and made something worse. Way to go!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Saint Michael, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Did not stay at the hotel, but we did stop in and play at the casino on our way through town. We really liked it. Nice layout, decent variety of machines - not the biggest casino but it was big enough. We had a good time.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Conifer, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here overnight & loved it! I felt that the cost of the room was very appropriate for what I got. The room was VERY clean w/out any odor. Wished I would have brought my swimming suit because the indoor pool looked amazing! Was a very pleasant stay & would definitely come back to stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review our casino hotel. I have shared your comments with our housekeepers to let them know that they're doing a great job. Thanks!
Dakota Dunes, SD
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed at the Isle Casino Hotel during a business trip, but will likely return with my family in the future. The Isle has a lovely atmosphere, with terrific dining choices, including the new Farmer's Pick Buffet Restaurant and the Otis & Henry's Restaurant. The hotel offered great amenities, including oversized rooms, plenty of towels (oversized), comfortable bed, and terrific service. With a water park across the street, it would be an ideal place for a family to stay in the summer months! I will be back to the Isle Casino, the next time I am in the Waterloo area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms by the stairwell were very, very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
We feel extremely flattered by your review. We especially love that you enjoyed your business trip so much that you plan to come back for a family vacation. We really do have everything you may need for a quick getaway within our property; and with a waterpark, go-carts and miniature golf right beside us - there are plenty of activities to entertain any age. Thanks so much for visiting us. We look forward to your return visit.
Anna, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Very comfortable bed and spacious room. The resteraunt and buffet served very good food that was worth the price. The pool and hot tub were exceptional and well maintained, in addition each were accessible for individuals with physical disabilities.

My only complaint was the wi-fi Internet. My party was on the seventh floor and the Internet reception and speed were horrible. On numerous occasions, I had to go to the lobby in order to utilize the Internet. That is the only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Hi Dave! It sounds like you had a great visit! We do appologize about the WiFi during your stay. We experienced an abnormally high volume of internet traffic that week due to an on-property business conference. Our IT department made some changes following the incident, so we shouldn't have any problems going forward. We hope to see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Rooms are big, bathroom sizable and excellent, not too much hallway noise, everything looks newer. Only main gripe- DO NOT ORDER A ROLLAWAY. We had to get one for our king room and the rollaway was easily 20 years old. Even the staff who brought it up joked about how bad it was. It was like sleeping on twisted wires. Not only did I not sleep, I woke with my hip very sore and rib cage tender. Great way to start the Fourth of July- sore, taking naproxen, and dead tired. Highly disappointed- you'd assume a hotel this size and age could afford to update the rollaways. An air mattress would have been better. Worst hotel sleeping experience in years.

• Stayed July 2013
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hi Krystal. I see that you noted our hotel rooms are spacious and well-kept, but by the way you rated/reviewed us, it is obvious that your rollaway bed caused you an overall negative experience. We are very sorry about that and we hope that we can change your perception of us in the future. Our hotel will do their best to get you a hotel room with two queen beds instead of a rollaway. Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

FYI - Hotel Management informed me that we are in the process of purchasing new rollaway beds.
Indianola, Iowa
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel has an unpleasant odor when you walk in the door a combo of disinfectant and cigarettes and it only gets worse. The front desk staff is slow and inattentive both in person at check in and when you call, I called for more towels and it rang 45+ times! I called for extra towels a request I added to my online reservation
So they should've already been in the room. The casino service is also lacking, super slow to non existent bar service. A person in our party was questioned by security because he had ordered two drinks within an hours time. The casino is slow with a somber atmosphere we decided to leave, not the lively fun atmosphere you will expect if you have stayed in a Vegas hotel/casino.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank julie g
Julie, we strive to provide great customer service and an environment that is clean and fun. If you could give us a call, our Guest Experience Manager would love to speak with you regarding your visit. Our toll-free number is 1-877-ISLE-WIN. Thanks.