“Clean and comfortable”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is clean, comfortable and the staff is very personable. And there are cookies in the lobby. Drawbacks are the driveway is a little hard to find a night and you have to drive through the parking lot of a business next door that has potholes and rebar sticking out of the concrete,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The rooms were very clean and the staff was wonderful. The breakfast had good variety and tasty hot dishes (the best biscuits and gravy!). The pool was decent sized as was the hot tub (indoor for year round) and clean. The location is convenient to several main roads of the area as well as shopping, etc. Access is a little difficult to find from the street, and the parking lot need help.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I am very sad to report that the reviews complaining of room switch due to "unavailable" promised rooms are correct. I read reviews of several properties in Waterloo before picking this one. The management responded to the other reviews that the people booked with third party sites and that was the problem. I called the hotel directly and was promised a hot tub room. When we got there, we were told the hot tub rooms were already taken and that the people had already checked in!!! So we got a lesser room. I guess if you want the room of your choice, you have to get there right at 3. We were there at 5. I would have gotten a hotel closer to the Irish Fest for price I paid had I known. The hotel itself was very nice and clean and the breakfast buffet very large and fresh. Just wish they'd not do the bait and switch on people. I gave it a ding on the service rating due to the room shell game. Not because of hotel staff, who were very nice. I don't think it was the desk lady's fault the reservation was done like that. It seems to be a higher up policy that reoccurs.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Booking: I booked my reservation online and accidentally chose the rate that is non-refundable and cannot be canceled. This was a mistake and I immediately called the hotel to get this changed to a regular reservation. The person that answered the phone told me there was "absolutely nothing" the hotel could do and gave me the number to the online reservations customer service. The representative at this number said there was "absolutely nothing" they could do and that the only place to resolve this issue was the hotel. At this point, I asked for a supervisor because I had no intention of calling the hotel who had JUST told me there was "absolutely nothing" they could do. I asked for a supervisor and let her know that I had no intention of calling the hotel or anyone else and that I'd like her to be the person to resolve the issue. She did just that and called the hotel who changed my reservation type to a regular reservation. This whole incident lasted about a half an hour, so it could have been a lot worse and the reason why I didn't just totally cancel was that the manager at the online reservations place took charge and solved my problem. She didn't even try to pass it off when I explained that I did not want to call around to anyone else. It would have wowed me if when I had initially called the hotel and they fixed my problem right away without directing me elsewhere.

Issue: On the second night of my stay, there was an issue with the toilet that got fixed quickly. I had asked for an ETA on when it would be fixed though and had to call a second time to get one. It would have wowed me if someone would have followed up with me after finding out how long it would be and let me know. I had explained that I had a child to put to bed so I really just needed to know so I could decide when to start the bedtime routine. The maintenance man was really nice and courteous.

Then, until 10pm, there was a banging noise in the bathroom. I reported this to the front desk and the end result was that it was a loose pipe or something they could not control. The hotel was sold out as was all surrounding hotels, so we were stuck. We had to put the A/C on full blast to drown out the noise, which made the room freezing. Although the noise mostly stopped, we did hear it intermittently. The banging noise started again at 4am. I assumed that this issue would have been reported to a manager and someone would have checked on me in the morning, but at check-out, no one at the front desk seemed to have been informed of this problem. The person that checked me out gave me a $20 discount on my room after hearing my story. I did appreciate his courteousness and the discount. What would have made me a loyal customer would have been a full refund and/or someone proactively giving me the $20 discount and contacting me in the morning to check up how our night went. I did not complain about the compensation because I did truly appreciate the gesture; however, it was not enough to make it right and want me to try this chain again.

Facilities: The bathroom and room were clean. Even the mini-fridge was clean. I thought the beds and pillows were comfortable, so I really don't have any complaints about any of that.There are extra pillows and blankets in the room, an ottoman, chair, and table/chair set. This was really nice. The lobby is nice and they have a bookshare program. There were always cookies in the lobby. The TV had lots of channels.

Pool/Hot tub: The temperature in the pool was just right and the hot tub was no too hot, so perfect for a small child to enjoy. The floor looks a little worn on the tub/pool, but I have seen a lot worse. My child loved the windows and decor in the pool room that made shadows on the wall by the trees outside.

The staff was courteous and the facility is clean, so if the issues I had would have gone just a little bit more smoothly, I would probably have given this a higher rating. I bet other guests book and stay there with no issues, so I just had bad luck this time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor because you can hear people walking in the room/hallways above. If you w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our family stayed here after a great but exhausting day at Lost Island Waterpark. Upon checking the staff was very welcoming & complimentary warm cookies were being offered! Our room was very clean & spacious! Nice pool area as well. Breakfast was okay. Wish there were more hot protein choices (sausage, eggs) as being a diabetic there wasn't much for me to eat. Only hot food choice at the time of our stay was oatmeal. Overall, my family enjoyed our stay & will definitely stay again when in the area!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here multiple times, and have always been happy. I like to run, and my evening runs heading south out of town from here have been good and hilly. There is a fair amount of traffic running on those roads, though. The hotel itself is good, the breakfast had many good options like oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, waffles, muffins, and other hot daily options.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 11 July 2014

On July 2, 2014, three of our family were traveling from Minneapolis, MN to Moline, IN. We stayed at the Country Inn in Waterloo, IA overnight and were delighted with this inn. We had two standard rooms which were large, very nice, and comfortable. The next morning we had a fabulous breakfast and were pleasantly surprised to find we had real silverware and china. It was such a nice tasteful breakfast. In addition, the lady, Jodi, who was in charge of the breakfast room was extremely friendly and helpful and an asset to our stay. We stay at Country Inns often and shall continue to do so.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family