“Wandered into ~~~ such interesting surprises.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Waterloo Center for the Arts
Ranked #8 of 20 things to do in Waterloo
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Again - sometimes having your busted SUV up on the lift in a strange town can yield great discoveries.

I walked in (parked free) unchallenged, wondering, "what? - in the middle of Iowa". First find, nice people - no surprise. Second discovery: several mid sized galleries with rotating shows.
I thought, some nice fabric creations on display from Central America (Guat.). Conducted my own award granting tour. Changed 1st, 2nd and hon. mention several times on the tour. I could do that getting lost in my day's work.

Told by a receptionist who took a liking to me, that the Haitian art conservation - protection project ( ~ 15% on display) was one of the best in the world including the island country. My yawn quickly jumped to jaw dropping .. she was right. Some of the finest museum pieces I'd ever seen. and here in Iowa. Most consisted of a personal collection with additions to round out tin, steel, fabric art forms plus polychromic portraits in cloth and expendables aka junk.

Another person witness my ambling and opened the well appointed gift shop. Smart, a $40. sale.

I doubt that i'll get back, but had a great time away from a Cadillac waiting room. Tossed $5 in the bucket.

1  Thank volvo57

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I love going to the Waterloo Center for the arts. I always find the artwork amazing. I really enjoy taking my grandchildren to the adjoining Youth Pavilion. What great fun and interesting interactive activities they have. I would recommend planning on spending the entire day there as there is so much to do! Milk the cow, play putt putt golf Lego room and so much more oh the Rabbit hole!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We always go to the winter art show and see new art and artists every year. A large place with a nice gift shop and a cafe for the munchies.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Besides the amazing art exhibits, there were two large rooms with interactive activities for children--crafts, milk the cow, ride the tractor, climb through the rabit hole, fish, drive a bus, play putt-putt, draw, and much much more.

Been to Waterloo Center for the Arts? Share your experiences!