“Check all the other hotels first”

Motel 6 Crossroads Mall-Waterloo-Cedar Falls
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Check all the other hotels first”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

According to my brand new Garmin, the number we called was the Baymont Inn. However, the Baymont has moved and apparently left their phone number with the Motel 6 that took over. But it was late, we had already given our credit card number to the Motel 6 and RAGBRAI was in the area which meant most hotels were booked. There is a lot to dislike here, but the non-smoking room we were given that still stinks of stale smoke has to be right up there. If you are going to declare a previously smoked in room "non-smoking" at least give it a good scrub so it doesn't reek. The towels looked like they had seen better days and could have used some bleach. The towels are small and thin, blanket was thin, pillows nearly nonexistent and the room in general was worn down.

Just suffice it to say, if you need accommodations in this area, there are a lot of other hotels you should try first. I know Tom says, "We'll leave the light on for you," but I wish they would have left some shampoo.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
GRUNDY CENTER
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I choose this hotel for a night out away from home in my local area here as there are a lot of amenities close by and I know the area well. Upon arrival the receptionist was very friendly and accommodating. We got our room keys and proceeded to our room which was on the first floor facing the parking lot. Initial impressions were that this room, at least, had been renovated recently. The room was clean with the exception of a few stains on the carpet and what appeared to be marker/ink pen lines on the curtains. The heater united worked very well minus having some cosmetic issues with the vents and the shower had good hot water but the levers and spout were somewhat hard to manipulate but this wasn't a deal breaker. The shower curtain rod could have been placed a few inches closer to the ground as the curtain was barely long enough to fit inside the tub to keep water from going all over the floor. The only real drawbacks to my experience here was the somewhat dirty comforter (appears to have been washed but the brownish stains remained) and it looked like it had been sandwiched between two sheets to form a kind of duvet. Pillows were satisfactory. WiFi was intermittent with reception at times as they have multiple routers placed throughout the building..just need to find the one that works the best. Unfortunately, and this is not the fault of the hotel staff but rather the persons occupying various rooms above mine were very loud until about 2am in the morning. The check out process was very quick and pleasant and I will reiterate the friendliness of the staff I dealt with at this location. Overall, if I had to get off the road or needed an emergency place to stay the night I'd consider this place but only if other options were booked. In closing, this isn't the worst place I've stayed at but it's far from the best and I'm not counting super high end hotels in this statement.

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the 2nd level due to noise issues.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Was looking for a cheap place to sleep because I just couldn't drive the rest of the way home. This Motel 6 fit those needs but I will still try to look elsewhere if back in this town.

My room was an iceberg - literally - the heater was completely off. I was hungry, tired & it was late (11 pm) so I ate my food huddled up by the struggling heater fully dressed my coat & shoes on. I even wore my coat to bed. In the middle of the night the room was finally warm and I was able to shed the coat.

The room was spacious, but the TV took half a dozen tries to come on & some of the lights didn't work. The bed was OK and there was plenty of hot water for my bath the next morning.

When I went down for coffee the jug was empty and I was told coffee stopped at 9 am. I thought all hotels kept coffee in the lobby 24/7... But the lady clerk offered to make some after seeing my apparently distressed face.. Lol. When I mentioned the cold room she indicated they were having a problem with the cleaning staff turning the heat off in the rooms and were having communication difficulties. She indicated that she'd be getting a translator to try again.. Hope that works so others don't have the iceberg room I did!

If there were no other options I would stay here again but would sure try those options first.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Onery13
m64746bo-GM, General Manager at Motel 6 Crossroads Mall-Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your recent stay with us. Excellent service is what we strive for, therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a great experience to our valued guests.

Please accept our apologies that your stay was less than satisfactory. After reading your review I decided to make some resent changes to our final room inspection process in order to correct this issue from ever happening again. It’s our goal to give our guest the sense of coming home and the temperature of the room is a definite part of that experience.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a couple of minutes from your busy schedule to contact me directly so we can discuss the issues you encountered during your stay to invite you back and possibly restore your faith in our Motel 6.

Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We came to Waterloo during the 2nd weekend of October because my boyfriend was playing in a hockey tournament and since we had to bring our dog, we were limited to the number of pet friendly hotels that were close to the hockey rink. After searching for pet friendly hotels, we came across the Motel 6 in Crossroads Mall on Laporte Road. After looking up this property on the hotel’s web site, it seemed like it would be a decent place to stay and they didn’t charge a pet fee which is rare. I also looked at the reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor and it seemed like it would be ok. “Ok” is about what it was.

When we first pulled up to the hotel, I was quite concerned about the people who had congregated right at the front entrance smoking. There were 4-5 shady looking males (and “shady” is putting it lightly) who you would most likely encounter somewhere in the Chicago ghettos. I got out of the car to potty the dog while my boyfriend went inside to check us in. As I walked my dog over to a small grassy area, the guys I just mentioned stopped and stared at me, which made me very uneasy. That’s when I noticed there was litter all over the property and more discarded cigarette butts than I’d ever seen; there was trash in the parking lot and just a general unkempt appearance.

We checked into our room which was on the 1st floor and it was just your average room. It was clean (I’m very picky) but I noticed that there were no basics like Kleenex or an alarm clock—no big deal. I went into the bathroom and noticed there were only 2 bath towels which I thought was a little unusual since there are usually 4 in bathroom for 2 people. Then when I looked at our king size bed, I saw 4 pillows…only they weren’t your normal “standard size” pillows. They were small like the ones you would decorate your couch with. I looked around for more pillows because 4 small pillows simply wasn’t going to cut it and found nothing. So I went to the front desk and asked if we could have an extra bath towel and 2 regular pillows. The front desk lady informed me that she didn’t have a single clean towel to give me and although they *might* be able to find 1 standard pillow, she wasn’t sure whether they would have a clean pillow case. I couldn’t believe it. This is a hotel and they’re telling me they don’t have a single clean towel or any standard pillows available for the guests that are paying to stay here. After several minutes they found 1 (instead of 2) regular pillows and pillow case which I was hoping was clean. She then told me that if I wanted an additional bath towel that I would have to come to the front desk later that same night to pick up my towel. Fine. When I finally did get my 2nd bath towel, it had some red stains on it that looked like dried blood.

Also, I noticed that the sign on our hotel room door said that checkout was at noon which was great because my boyfriend’s hockey games on Sunday were making it difficult to check out by the normal time. I went back to the front desk and asked them if we could check out at 1pm (an hour late) instead of noon; the front desk lady said “Checkout is at 11 am, not noon”. I said that the sign in our room clearly stated that checkout was at noon; her reply to this was, “Oh well, I guess we need to change that.” So I asked again if it would be possible to check out at noon instead of 1pm. Her reply: “No"...that was it, no explanation, just a flat out “No”.
Over the course of our 1 night stay, the smokers staying in that hotel constantly congregated right in front of both the front main entrance and the back entrance, so you had to walk through their 2nd hand smoke in order to get in and out of the building. They would not move out of your way and it was right in plain sight of the front desk which did nothing about it. Neither of us had a good night's sleep because the bed was hard and uncomfortable; I woke up with a sore shoulder from sleeping on my side and my boyfriend woke up with low back pain. Hard to be comfortable with the little pillows, too.

The back door entrance of this property which we used is located at the very back of the building and faces part of the parking lot. Unfortunately, the front desk person told me that this back door is NEVER locked (I asked what time it locks), which means that anyone could wander in off the street, go in the back entrance and not be seen by anyone since the front desk is at the opposite end of the building. Also, that part of the parking lot is very creepy and then you add in the shady characters (who were all males) hanging out at the back door; it was not the most comfortable feeling. In the many hotels I’ve stayed in, ALL entrances, with the exception of the front door, are locked at all times and are only accessible to guests with key cards. That seems like basic Hotel Security 101 but I guess not.

We were not impressed with Waterloo because it’s very rundown and in general looks like a total dump. The hotel experience was ok I guess; at least it was clean. If you stay here, you might want to bring your own towels, Kleenex, and pillows. I can say without hesitation that we will not return to Waterloo ever again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the building instead of the parking lot; parking lot is noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hockeygirl55901
m64746bo-GM, General Manager at Motel 6 Crossroads Mall-Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our apologies that your stay was less than satisfactory. I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a couple of minutes from your busy schedule to contact me directly so we can discuss the issues you encountered during your stay. This will help me better understand what happened in order to anticipate any future occurrences.

I recently started here as the new general manager late October and wanted to address your concerns and tell you about the improvements we are implementing for our guest here at Motel 6 Crossroads Mall-Waterloo-Cedar Falls after reading reviews like yours.

We are now 100% smoke free and defer our smoking guest from smoking in front of our motel towards the rear of the building to a designated area. We're undergoing some renovations to improve our appearance as well as the quality and comfort we supply for our guest through painting, flooring, replacing beds, linen, terry and pillows, extra will be available at the front desk upon guest request.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My problem is one manager who does not know how to accommodate guests that have had to deal with roaches. I did not bring them with me. I don't want them sharing my room. Don't come here unless you want to share with crawling hitchhikers.
Housekeeping does a good job, this is not against them.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank ATIYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 in Waterloo. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, I started late October as the new general manager and wanted to address your concerns; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have had the motel inspected and treated to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Missouri
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This truly is NOT your typical Motel 6. Nice and clean, comfortable room, interior hallway, impressive flat screen TV, free wifi (although I didn't use it), and even a mini-fridge inside a wooden cabinet. All of this for a king bed at the low price of $49.99 (less on weekdays).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

We had a hot tub room, absolutely amazing! I've stayed at many Motel 6's throughout the whole country and have never had such a wonderful experience!

The check in staff were friendly and efficient.

Walking into the room and it was lovely! So clean! Beautiful furniture, modern decor, soft carpet and a sense of comfort straight away. Alarm clock, hair dryer and lots of pretty lamps. Something you never usually find at a Motel 6!

The king bed was comfortable, had lots of feather pillows and a cotton comforter. Bedding you usually find at high end Hotels. So cozy! It had a nice comfy chair to sit on and a well lit desk with a leather business chair.

The hot tub worked great, all the jets were powerful and it was very clean. I think it's a heated one too because we never had to top it off with hot water. All this for $90 in summer. I think the standard rooms are much cheaper, but I am sure they are of high quality. We didn't even feel like we were at the Motel 6, it was very nice. Still pet friendly with no fee, very hard to find in most motels, especially hot tub rooms.

The bathroom was clean, with a separate sink area, both spotless!

There was a fridge, but no microwave..... the only downside to our stay. We just ordered from Jimmy Johns.

Flat screen TV. Reliable WiFi, fast too!

Nice indoor pool!

No breakfast, but who cares ...this motel is very close to the mall, many restaurants and lots of good shopping choices.

Nothing to complain about, loved our stay. Wish we could of stayed longer! Get a hot tub room if it's available, it's well worth the extra $30 or so. If not, then I am sure you'll be happy with your stay anyway.

Get a room facing the back of the building, I think it's quieter. It faces the trees and grass rather than the busy parking lot out front.

• Stayed September 2013