“Thin blanket, room temperature hard to regulate, and uncomfortable pillows.”

Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Saint Louis
“Thin blanket, room temperature hard to regulate, and uncomfortable pillows.”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I usually stay in low end motels like Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn, but decided to splurge this time. Unfortunately, I was disappointed and in the end wished I had saved nearly 50% by staying in one of those places again.
The problems may have been with my personal preferences -- I understand many people might prefer the conditions that I was unsatisfied with. My main issue was with the temperature regulation in the room and the thin blanket on the bed. When I sleep, I prefer a cool room and a warm bed. (At home, I turn the thermostat down to 58 degrees at night, but I sleep under a warm down duvet.) Unfortunately, it was a cold night and the blanket on the bed was very thin (and made of a synthetic material that felt like a thin sheet of foam rubber), so the only way to keep warm was to turn up the heating unit. This made the air in the room dry, and soon it became too warm, so I turned it back down, but since the blanket was so thin, the room was thin too cold. I hardly slept at all because I had to keep getting up to change the thermostat. What made this problem worse was that I was traveling with my long-haired dog (kudos, though, to Ramada Inn for allowing her to stay for no extra charge), and she quickly got too warm when I turned up the heat and would start panting and want to go outside. I probably could have asked for another blanket, but it was late, I wasn't sure just one would do the trick, and I thought the hotel staff might have refused to give me more than one.

Add to that a small, hard pillow that caused me to get a crick in my neck, and it made for a miserable night. If I were to consider staying at this location again, I would be sure to take my own pillow and ask for an extra blanket or two. Actually, I would probably take my own blanket, too, because I just don't like the feel of synthetic fibers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Rene,

Thank you for your review of our property, and thank you for choosing us for your holiday stay.

I am sorry to hear that the temperature was a little off if your room. At the Ramada, we do our best to accommodate our guests. The front desk would have been more than happy to get your a few extra blankets to help you sleep more comfortably.

Unfortunately we do understand that we can not meet everyone's specific tastes, but again we try our best to help accommodate guests that do not find some of our amenities comfortable.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here before we went overseas for a few weeks, because of the available free parking and airport shuttle.

I'll list the few negatives of the place, then the positives. I agree with the other review that the pillows are just too fat- not comfortable no matter how I slept. I knew that there would be no free breakfast when I booked the room, but I would have liked one. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, though, and one in the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and our shuttle trips to and from the airport went smoothly. A great bonus was being able to park in the parking garage adjacent to the hotel- very nice to not need to clear off ice and snow when we returned from our trip. The room was comfortable and clean and I think would make a businness class traveler happy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Darin,

Thank you so much for your comments on your stay with us at the Ramada Hotel and Convention Center. I am sorry to hear that the pillows weren't as comfortable as you would have liked. We are actually working on the possibility of starting a complimentary continental breakfasts for our guests, but again, it's in the beginning stages of planning.

I am so very glad to hear that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff and that our shuttle was convenient for you and your wife.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again!
Perry
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am handicapped and they put me on the 9th floor, last room on floor, Was sure glad the elevator didn't have problem, I could of never climb down stairs
The pillows gave me a head ache too big'

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Pwhit68,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry to hear that you were put on the ninth floor. We do offer handicap rooms on our second floor, so there must have been confusion during the booking process. Even so, I will take a look into what happened.

Again, thank you for your review!
Ames
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The rooms were great and the staff seemed helpful and friendly. There was a problem with a computer and the room keys didn't work. They sent someone around to each floor to help get people in their rooms. There was a lot of people trying to get in at one time because we were there for a convention. It didn't seem to take very long to get that done.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Scott,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad to hear that your stay was good and that your experience with our staff was good as well. We were having some issues with our key card maker, and we now have brand new key card makers, so we are hoping that this doesn't happen again. We know that it is very inconvenient to need to be let into your own room.

Thank you again for staying with us at the Ramada Hotel & Convention Center!
Granite City
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Nice clean hotel. A little problem with the noise. They do not offer a free breakfast. Pool area and hot tub were clean.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Jeffrey,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do hope that you stay again soon! Thank you again.
Eland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Began trip having been given a room with no bed and then was told I was mistakenly given the wrong price and needed to pay more to get the type of room I had purchased a month prior. Restaurant has terrible service as it took nearly 1 1/2 hours to get our food and maybe 10 other people in the whole place. No continental breakfast. Keys did not work for 2 of 3 that went with us. Wi-Fi did not work on 10th floor. Toilets were hard to flush on 10th floor.

The room was decent once we finally got one and at least they did not make you pay for parking. Staff at desk were friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Potrykus,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sincerely sorry for all the confusion and inconveniences during your stay with us. What happened with your stay, and others on that same day, was unacceptable and has been addressed with our entire front of house team and our restaurant team.

I am glad, however, to hear that your experience with our front desk staff was pleasant.

Again I am sincerely sorry for all the confusion and inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We would love to make it up to you during your next visit with us!