“New is not always better.”

Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“New is not always better.”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Arrived asking for same floor on two rooms. Gal sets it up as floor 2 and 4. We ask again and she moves on of us so we are on the same floor. Got time during all the keyboarding taking place to read all the notes at the desk including the one reminding them to smile to the guests! Needless to say other guests spent a long time late in the evening waiting for my return with two room keys. The check in girl was personable but was dressed like she was home watching movies. Sloppy and unprofessional. Room never got cleaned while I was out the next day. Returned to dirty towels. Asked the front desk to bring them and she said she was alone and it would be awhile. I got in late, waited 30 minutes, called back and asked for them. She then came to the door with some clean towels and apology. Walls are paper thin. Listened two nights to the guy next door snoring. The people above talking. The ice machine all night long. When passing down a hall way, a door was propped open with a fan to the kitchen. Not a pleasing site. Noticed that the hotel staff were using the prime parking in front of the building for their own vehicles. The back of the building has the majority of parking spots. Note that the entry doors are on the sides. Not fun. Almost parked closer to Kohls than the hotel itself. When leaving asked for a slip showing no incidentals. Was told because I booked via certain travel discount website that I don't get one.
They guy handling the Starbucks was also my cashier for food and drink. He was out of change...dimes and nickels. He really had to pump those last drops of coffee to fill my cup!
The Queen beds are not really Queen but Full. Each room I had booked had the doorway blocked by roll-away bed and furnishings. Not ordered but had to work around all weekend. The fan in one room's bathroom was not working. The only mirror is in the bathroom but it was steamy the whole morn while showers were being taken- so went without a mirror as we were getting ready. Very low light in the bathroom. Don't do makeup there. Floors in bathroom spotted with leftover gunk. Oh, and the blow dryers are kept in the closet in a bag. Guess that one. Was gone all day returning at 10:30p to find they forgot to clean my room. Waited for an hour to get some new towels to shower. Of course she apologized. She was the only person at the front desk. The fitted sheet doesn't fit around the entire mattress. New place looks nice but the service is terrible. Staff were unprofessional. Don't need to look close, to see this place is not being managed properly. Perfect location for shopping. The only plus.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine. Take the stairs it is quicker even though there are only 4 floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Robert E, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us. Your comments have been addressed wth my team. My team and I hope that next time your in the West Des Moines area you will stay with us again and allow us to provide you with the level of Marriott service you expect.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Arkansas
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Rooms were clean and bed was comfortable. The property is aesthetically pleasing and great location for shopping at the Jordan Creek Mall with a wide array of resturants within 5 minutes. Easy access to I-235 will get you to downtown Des Moines in about 10 minutes (no traffic). Will stay here again next time we are in town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I really like the changes Marriott made to the rooms. I was very comfortable and had a good surface for work the next morning. I am not happy with the change to the restaurant. I waited over 10 mjinutes to place my food order. And then I had to wait over 10 minutes to get my food. There was a group of tourists who clearly had the staff in a tizzy because they couldn't get anyone's order straight. All the tables were packed and we had to wait for a seat. When travelling with a 2 year old that isn't a good thing. I had to leave because I had a meeting and didn't get to eat my breakfast. I want the buffet back, it is a lot faster.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Robert E, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry to hear you had difficulties enjoying Courtyard's new and exciting Bistro concept. We hope that next time you’re in our area you choose to stay with us again so you can experience the Bistro and how wonderful it is.
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Just stayed here on a pleasure trip and we had a good experience at the Courtyard.

The staff was very nice and accomodating.

The room it's self was pretty clean, with the exception of a little mold on the grout in the shower.

The lobby was nicely decorated.

We did not get a chance to eat at the Bistro as there were other options we wanted to try around the hotel.

Overall I was pretty happy with everything at this hotel. I gave it a 4 star because of the mold. Otherwise I would have given it a 5 star.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My family and I were in West Des Moines for a wedding. My immediate family had 2 rooms, 1 suite and 1 room with 2 king beds for 3 nights. The extended family had another 10 rooms of varying sizes. The rooms were clean and looked recently updated. The hotel personnel were very polite and accommodating. The pool and workout rooms were quite adequate. The large TV in lobby with chairs and couches were great for watching the Olymipics with the extended family. This is probably as good as it gets for a suburban hotel. My only complaint, and it is a big one; the sheets were rough and worn, and the towels were extremely scratchy. I would say the linens and towels were the quality of an inexpensive motel. I think skimping on the details is a big mistake on the part of the management of this hotel. Hopefully they will read this review and take it seriously. If they were to replace the worn out linens and buy better quality towels this hotel could be excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TobeyT
Robert E, Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
My team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry if you felt that our linen and towels were not to Marriott Standard. We have taken your feed back to Marriott and currently looking into other venders for our linen and towels.
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just stayed there on a business trip. It has been recently converted to the new concept so lobby is clean and updated. The staff is very helpful and the location is right off highway. Good resturaunts nearby. It was a little noisy but I would reccomend.this location

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessTravelToday
Robert E, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
We're glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the local area. We look forward to your return.
Wentzville, Missouri
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Always a great place for a quick stay. Right across the street from an awesome mall and restaurants. Hot tub us super. I wish Courtyard had complimentary breakfast, but here you pay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert E, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
We are glad that you were able to enjoy yourself while staying with us. We look forward to your return.