“a great concept undone”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
arlington, ma
“a great concept undone”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

As a business traveler, I tend to like the Marriott Courtyards. They have the things I like to find -- breakfast, snacks, drinks, exercise room, good bedding, actual glass tumblers in the room, quiet, lots of sitting around space. This one had all those things, but there was one big problem. The lobby area had an overwhelming odor of carmel macchiato or a similar very sweet coffee; it was like being in a Yankee Candle store, very cloying.

Surely this is a local decision by the proprietors, and I would strongly suggest getting rid of this scent. It was too too much!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pilker
Robert E, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
I'm glad that you can find all the necessities you need at Courtyard by Marriott hotels. I'm sorry that you feel that the lobby has a strong coffee smell. With us severing Starbucks Coffee, it does sometimes get a little overwhelming with all of the different syrups and flavors. I wil follow up wiht Marriott & Starbucks to see if we can offset the mixture of coffees.
We hope that you will try us again if you return to the West Des Moines area in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Centerville, Iowa
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The room was very spacious. Super clean! The decor is modern and homey. I loved the lobby and the area where you can get food and drinks. Great stay! My husband and I were there on a weekend get-away. The receptionist was very cheerful and helpful. The overall atmosphere was great. It was a quiet hotel, even though children were there. We will stay there again!

Room Tip: Nice quiet hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luv4bigreds
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team and I look forward to you staying with us next time your in the West Des Moines area.
Carroll, Iowa
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Upon arrival, we were told that the desk clerk was actually a distant relative! What a small world! She was very nice and accommodating! We were originally supposed to have a room on the first floor, which I am always weary to have, and after asking if we could be moved, we were quickly moved to a higher floor. We had booked through Expedia and only paid $80 something for a weekend rate. I was swept away with how beautiful our room was! The room was very modern, had a fridge and microwave, and very comfy bed. The pull-out couch was uncomfortable, but I don't know of any that aren't. After coming back to the room late from shopping at nearby Jordan Creek Mall (which is the best in Iowa!), I stopped to buy a big bottle of water from their little shop by the check-in counter. I was told we could just have it! It may not seem like a lot to anyone else, but to me it meant a lot. We unfortunately didn't have time to go swimming and did not have breakfast there so I cannot rate those experiences.After staying at the new Holiday Inn that is nearby, I would definitely stay here again instead!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Robert E, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to you staying with us when you return back to the West Des Moines area. On behave of the staff we hope that you have a Happy 2013!
central valley of California
Reviewed 4 November 2012

we have been on te road 3 wks and love to book at courtyard a=marriots, because we knw they are clean, comfy and friendly wth great spaces for guests. this one is no exception! newer, or looks like it, in mall and resturant heaven. only thing is this one charges 4 dollars to wash an dry a load of laundry. the beautiful courtyard marriott in lovely kanas city Mo was FREE ... huh?!?!?! that too was in a fab location, such a pretty city Kansas city.... I was surprised.
anyway, we love courtyards !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: WE always get tte 1 bedroom suites- gives us and kids space from one another after a day cramped in...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Robert E, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your time at our hotel. We look forward to you returning next time your in town.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Arrived asking for same floor on two rooms. Gal sets it up as floor 2 and 4. We ask again and she moves on of us so we are on the same floor. Got time during all the keyboarding taking place to read all the notes at the desk including the one reminding them to smile to the guests! Needless to say other guests spent a long time late in the evening waiting for my return with two room keys. The check in girl was personable but was dressed like she was home watching movies. Sloppy and unprofessional. Room never got cleaned while I was out the next day. Returned to dirty towels. Asked the front desk to bring them and she said she was alone and it would be awhile. I got in late, waited 30 minutes, called back and asked for them. She then came to the door with some clean towels and apology. Walls are paper thin. Listened two nights to the guy next door snoring. The people above talking. The ice machine all night long. When passing down a hall way, a door was propped open with a fan to the kitchen. Not a pleasing site. Noticed that the hotel staff were using the prime parking in front of the building for their own vehicles. The back of the building has the majority of parking spots. Note that the entry doors are on the sides. Not fun. Almost parked closer to Kohls than the hotel itself. When leaving asked for a slip showing no incidentals. Was told because I booked via certain travel discount website that I don't get one.
They guy handling the Starbucks was also my cashier for food and drink. He was out of change...dimes and nickels. He really had to pump those last drops of coffee to fill my cup!
The Queen beds are not really Queen but Full. Each room I had booked had the doorway blocked by roll-away bed and furnishings. Not ordered but had to work around all weekend. The fan in one room's bathroom was not working. The only mirror is in the bathroom but it was steamy the whole morn while showers were being taken- so went without a mirror as we were getting ready. Very low light in the bathroom. Don't do makeup there. Floors in bathroom spotted with leftover gunk. Oh, and the blow dryers are kept in the closet in a bag. Guess that one. Was gone all day returning at 10:30p to find they forgot to clean my room. Waited for an hour to get some new towels to shower. Of course she apologized. She was the only person at the front desk. The fitted sheet doesn't fit around the entire mattress. New place looks nice but the service is terrible. Staff were unprofessional. Don't need to look close, to see this place is not being managed properly. Perfect location for shopping. The only plus.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine. Take the stairs it is quicker even though there are only 4 floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Robert E, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us. Your comments have been addressed wth my team. My team and I hope that next time your in the West Des Moines area you will stay with us again and allow us to provide you with the level of Marriott service you expect.
Arkansas
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Rooms were clean and bed was comfortable. The property is aesthetically pleasing and great location for shopping at the Jordan Creek Mall with a wide array of resturants within 5 minutes. Easy access to I-235 will get you to downtown Des Moines in about 10 minutes (no traffic). Will stay here again next time we are in town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple