“Comfortable but not exceptionable”

SpringHill Suites Des Moines West
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Minneapolis, MN
“Comfortable but not exceptionable”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed one weeknight as part of a business trip. Hotel located right off the freeway which is good and bad. Easy access but a lot of road noise. My room was on the freeway side of the building and the noise was very noticable. Also I was on the 4th fllor and the parking lot light was very bright.

Check in was quick and the room was clean and comfortable. It had a microwave and a mini fridge. Also had a desk and sofa. The sofa was not very comfortable. There was a flat screen mounted on the wall and you could not see it if you are working at the desk. The morning breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, toast, bagels etc..fairly normal but again nothing exceptional.

And as others have said....S L O W elevator...

It is not bad and not great but a fairly decent value if you don't have to pay full price

Room Tip: Try to stay on the freeway side of the building
3 Thank RonJac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I spent four nights at the SpringHill Suites in West Des Moines. I frequently stay at Marriott line of hotels, and have stayed in other SpringHill Suites in other locations. I found my room to be somewhat lacking compared to the other SpringHill Suites I've stay at before. As a caveat, I was given an accessible room, so it was very spacious but in a way also felt a little spartan. The bathroom, also very large, was very sterile. The walls were plain white with white tile. It had one light which was linked with the exhaust fan that was very loud. Strangely, the bathtub/shower was VERY slick - I nearly lost my footing a couple times. You'd think the accessible room would take more steps to make the tub slip-proof.

The walls seemed very thin, as I could really hear both of my neighbors clearly when they were talking or moving around their rooms. Again, these things aren't a huge deal, but I'm comparing it to other SpringHill Suites I've stayed at previously.

The room was comfortable, especially the bed which was super cozy. The room had a mini-fridge, sink and microwave. There was also a desk and a couch, both of which were decent.

While I'm a big fan of the Marriott line, and this hotel was ideally located for my reason for being in West Des Moines, I'd probably stay at a different hotel if I had to return to the area again. Perhaps if I'd not stayed at better SpringHill Suites in the past I would not be so critical of this one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I normally stay at the Springhill Suites by the mall but it was not available at a govt rate when i went for work in march. I had stayed here before and had an ok stay but nothing special. this time i was unable to sleep for most of the night as the person above me was so loud. it sounded like he was literally jumping up and down and moving furniture for hours. I reported it to the front desk at midnight after over an hour of the nonsense. it continued for another hour and I finally picked up the phone and dialed the room number above my room on the next floor up. when a man answered i asked him to please stop making so much noise so I could sleep. things did quiet down after that but I would have thought the hotel mgmt. could get him to quiet down vs. me calling at two a.m. they just were not that helpful to me. it was a Monday night.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Was on the way home from a road trip with my sister to Kansas City MO & decided to see what Des Moines was like. Arrived at the Springhill Suites around 4PM on 4/4/13. Parking was easy at that time of day & check in went quickly. We had room 221 & found it to be one of the great room layouts. You walk in to the "living room" type area with a couch plus a couple small coffee tables & a desk/table on one side & a kitchenette area with one TV on the counter along with a mini-sink & a microwave & fridge under the counter on the other side of the room. This room was separated from the bedroom except for the doorway. So the bedroom had the feel of being a whole separate room. There were 2 beds separated by the nightstand, a wardrobe, tv, & suitcase stand. The bathroom light switch was on the inside of the bathroom (which we prefer) avoiding any light escaping into the bedroom if used during the night. However, they could use a reading light by the couch as the overhead light is too bright to use if someone is sleeping in the bedroom. Beds were very comfy & it was quiet for a good nights sleep. Perkins right next door was convenient for a late meal after enjoying many of the establishments in the Court Ave entertainment area. Breakfast was good with hot choices & all the usual continental offerings. We enjoyed our stopover in Des Moines & would recommend a stay here. Next time we would hope to take advantage of the close proximity to the Jordan Creek Mall.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
East Dubuque, Illinois
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I were given a handicap suite without need and it really was a huge room with 2 queen beds etc and huge bathroom. Shower was not wonderful however - hand held in small bathtub. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the cocktail hour in the evening nice also served in a pleasant area on the main floor. Really like the exercise room and equipment though even though small and the pool is great too.

Wausua
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed at Springhill Suites in West Des Moines for business on April 17, 2013. I got the room on priceline for about $100 including all the junk taxes and fees.

I arrived about 7:30 in the evening and was greeted promptly. Easy check in and easy parking.

My room was new and modern. It featured a nice sitting area with desk and sofa.

King bed was soft and nice. All good here. Very quiet which is very important.

As a business traveler that uses the name your own price on priceline this was a nice bargain. Good location. For business travelers this is a hotel to put on your list.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was very impressed with our stay at SpringHill Suites. Arrived in town about 11:00 am and checked in a few hours early with no problems. Hotel was very quiet and clean with spacious rooms and very comfy bedding not to mention a delicious free breakfast. Hotel was conveniently located near the interstate and also very close to Jordan Creek Mall. Parking was limited and the window in the room seemed open by the street noise coming in which i didnt mind for the "white noise" but others might find annoying. I would definatley stay here again next time I am in the Des Moines area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends