“Less than expected”

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Bettendorf, Iowa
“Less than expected”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Have stayed Springhill's before and they were great. We normally stay at the Fairfield accross the streeet, but I was lured by a bigger room with a few more amentities. However, the musty AC, some ants in the bathroom, the elevator not working and unusually noisy guests made it average experience. The breakfast was good and the staff was polite. We should have stayed at the Fairfield...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was fortunate enough to get a reasonable rate here during an overbooked weekend in Des Moines. The king bed suite was a little cramped for even a small family (two adults, one child) (probably better for a solo business traveller or couple), but it had all the necessities. The room has gotten some hard use and a few of the carpet squares need to be replaced, but the bed and sofa are large and comfortable. I didn't like the sink outside the small/toilet shower area--it was a little less private than other set ups-- and it was hard to help a small child in the bathroom because it was so small. I also found that it was necessary to leave the fan on in the bathroom at all times otherwise a round of showers made the room too humid. The breakfast was adequate, but because we were sharing the hotel with a large group of athletes in town for a youth soccer tournament we found we were a little crowded out and overwhelmed (as was the hotel staff who were valiantly striving to keep up with full, demanding capacity)--the athletes also tended to take quite a lot of food which reduced the available choices for other guests. I would suggest that the hotel make more specific arrangements to accommodate breakfast for large groups of young athletes--perhaps in a conference room in order to avoid affecting the experiences of other guests. Several aspects of the hotel made our stay very pleasant: every employee was attentive and friendly--they seemed to genuinely enjoy serving guests and working with each other; the pool area was well-designed in a solarium type of structure so it was full of light while still being indoors; the exercise room is small but the equipment is in good order. Walkers or joggers might like the sidewalk around the office complex just outside the hotel. The depths of the pool would not work for children under five. The location near the interstate and near Jordan Creek Town Center reduced our travel times about the city. As a whole, we enjoyed spending four nights here and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here during a quick business trip to Des Moines. Upon arrival we were told they were having a happy hour but as we were to meet people for dinner, we weren't able to go, but it would've been nice. Our room was nice but would've been nicer to have a door between the two rooms. There was a small fridge in the room and microwave as well as the coffee pot and coffee. The beds were comfy. Breakfast was complimentary and had your usual standard food, but it did the trick.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed one weeknight as part of a business trip. Hotel located right off the freeway which is good and bad. Easy access but a lot of road noise. My room was on the freeway side of the building and the noise was very noticable. Also I was on the 4th fllor and the parking lot light was very bright.

Check in was quick and the room was clean and comfortable. It had a microwave and a mini fridge. Also had a desk and sofa. The sofa was not very comfortable. There was a flat screen mounted on the wall and you could not see it if you are working at the desk. The morning breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, toast, bagels etc..fairly normal but again nothing exceptional.

And as others have said....S L O W elevator...

It is not bad and not great but a fairly decent value if you don't have to pay full price

Room Tip: Try to stay on the freeway side of the building
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RonJac
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I spent four nights at the SpringHill Suites in West Des Moines. I frequently stay at Marriott line of hotels, and have stayed in other SpringHill Suites in other locations. I found my room to be somewhat lacking compared to the other SpringHill Suites I've stay at before. As a caveat, I was given an accessible room, so it was very spacious but in a way also felt a little spartan. The bathroom, also very large, was very sterile. The walls were plain white with white tile. It had one light which was linked with the exhaust fan that was very loud. Strangely, the bathtub/shower was VERY slick - I nearly lost my footing a couple times. You'd think the accessible room would take more steps to make the tub slip-proof.

The walls seemed very thin, as I could really hear both of my neighbors clearly when they were talking or moving around their rooms. Again, these things aren't a huge deal, but I'm comparing it to other SpringHill Suites I've stayed at previously.

The room was comfortable, especially the bed which was super cozy. The room had a mini-fridge, sink and microwave. There was also a desk and a couch, both of which were decent.

While I'm a big fan of the Marriott line, and this hotel was ideally located for my reason for being in West Des Moines, I'd probably stay at a different hotel if I had to return to the area again. Perhaps if I'd not stayed at better SpringHill Suites in the past I would not be so critical of this one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I normally stay at the Springhill Suites by the mall but it was not available at a govt rate when i went for work in march. I had stayed here before and had an ok stay but nothing special. this time i was unable to sleep for most of the night as the person above me was so loud. it sounded like he was literally jumping up and down and moving furniture for hours. I reported it to the front desk at midnight after over an hour of the nonsense. it continued for another hour and I finally picked up the phone and dialed the room number above my room on the next floor up. when a man answered i asked him to please stop making so much noise so I could sleep. things did quiet down after that but I would have thought the hotel mgmt. could get him to quiet down vs. me calling at two a.m. they just were not that helpful to me. it was a Monday night.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Was on the way home from a road trip with my sister to Kansas City MO & decided to see what Des Moines was like. Arrived at the Springhill Suites around 4PM on 4/4/13. Parking was easy at that time of day & check in went quickly. We had room 221 & found it to be one of the great room layouts. You walk in to the "living room" type area with a couch plus a couple small coffee tables & a desk/table on one side & a kitchenette area with one TV on the counter along with a mini-sink & a microwave & fridge under the counter on the other side of the room. This room was separated from the bedroom except for the doorway. So the bedroom had the feel of being a whole separate room. There were 2 beds separated by the nightstand, a wardrobe, tv, & suitcase stand. The bathroom light switch was on the inside of the bathroom (which we prefer) avoiding any light escaping into the bedroom if used during the night. However, they could use a reading light by the couch as the overhead light is too bright to use if someone is sleeping in the bedroom. Beds were very comfy & it was quiet for a good nights sleep. Perkins right next door was convenient for a late meal after enjoying many of the establishments in the Court Ave entertainment area. Breakfast was good with hot choices & all the usual continental offerings. We enjoyed our stopover in Des Moines & would recommend a stay here. Next time we would hope to take advantage of the close proximity to the Jordan Creek Mall.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family