“OK for a one night stay”

Motel 6 Des Moines West
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My wife and I were on our way home from a weeks trip to S dakota and Colorado and decided to break up the drive and stay in Des Moines. This was one of the only hotels with an available room so we grabbed it. The room was very clean and was relatively cheap when compared to other hotels in the area. Bed was comfortable and TV worked. Overall, not a bad place if you need a room for a night after a long day in the car!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave P

Reviewed 18 June 2013

One night stay during a solo road trip; so I only needed a clean, economical place in a decent area. This Motel 6 filled the bill. It's located just off the Interstate by a professional office park. No frills. Clean grounds. Well-lit parking. The room was a little smaller than average, and the bed was okay. But it was clean and I got a good night's rest. I was on the interstate side; but I was on the ground floor and didn't notice any problem with freeway noise. I booked online, so check-in and check-out were efficient and courteous. The room rate was very good; but I was surprised in this day and age that there was a extra $3 charge to access the internet. Didn't really need it that night, and passed on it. No complimentary breakfast; but there's very nice Perkins restaurant less than a half block away. Large gas station and convenience store nearby. Easy to get back on the road in the morning. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Two girl friends and I just finished a road trip from CO to PA, and about 3 days in we found ourselves arriving in Des Moines around 9:30 pm. After calling around to 4-5 local hotels that came up on the GPS, we decided that this place had the best rate for the night and decided to check it out. Plus the tripadvisor rating wasn't too bad, and the woman, Carol, who answered at the front desk sounded very welcoming!
We easily found the hotel with the help of the GPS, had a smooth check-in, and found parking right outside the front door under a light. Carol was the one who checked us in, cheerifully let us know that there would be free coffee available in the main lobby from 6-10 am the next morning.
The room was clean and comfortable--nothing super fancy, but fine for the price we were paying. We had asked in advance for a room with a mini-fridge for the extra $3, and found it in the room clean, & in working order. We brought our own toiletries, so I didn't note whether or not shampoo, conditioner, etc, was provided.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, exceeded what we were looking for in a budget motel, and I would be fine with staying again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2013

When we first arrived we were greeted by Allen who was very short and unprofessional and gave us NO options for rooms or amenaties for the rooms or costs as we were unsure on how long our stay with Motel 6 was going to be. Then we were greeting Nathan, another employee and management that were also rude and unprofressional. Then several days into our stay we were greeted by Yvonne who was extremely professional and helpful as far as options for us to be in a room with a refrigerator and microwave since our stay was going to be much longer than expected. Yvonne finally gave us a weekly rate which also made our nightly rate much cheaper as well to give us a better deal for our extended stay here.. I do not agree with charging $3 per computer per day.. I think that is alot of money for someone to pay for internet usage for a hotel of this type! Also, I think that was rediculous that the hotel did not provide shampoo. I have never been to a hotel that has those items in a vending machine for purchase only! Anything that we needed Yvonne was more than happy to help us get but all other employees at the front desk seemed like everything was a burden to help someone out with.. Motel 6 also needs to get "do not disturb" signs to put on the door so when you do want housekeeping to bother you then you have a sign to put on the door for them to leave you alone! I also find the beds to be a little uncomfortable but the pillows are great! Both rooms that we ended up being in the plug for the bathtub pulled all the way out and in the 2nd room that we were in the sink had a few issues.. It snowed when we stayed here and there was no maintenance called in to clear the walkways until the next day so we shoveled for the employee that was working that night and got very little appreciation for helping her out.. The hotel definately needs to have better maintenance as the 1 door which you should be required to use your room key is broken so the door is always propped open, the floor is majorly cracked in the ice machine room on the 3rd floor and the dryer vent was broken off when we did our laundry here too..We talked to the manager about all of these issues and all she did was raise our rates. I just feel like this is a cheap hotel but the other issues need to be resolved as well to make this a 100% feel like home stay!

Room Tip: To be on the upper floors maybe or be away from entrance/exit doors.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

After a long driving day the location close to the interstate and gas station was what was needed. Staff were friendly and helpfull. Lots of parking and well lit parking lot for getting things out of the vehicle at night.
I would have no trouble staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank rodney01
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

This is my first stay at this Motel 6. The location is a little hard to find, but well worth it. I travel for work and stay in a motel most nights. I'm not gonna pay an extra 20-30 bucks for a free shampoo! If you work for a living and know the value of a dollar, this is the place for you. Clean and comfortable!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ChuckMosher
Reviewed 7 December 2012

First off we were driving cross country, coming from the peaceful and SAFE city of Fort Collins Colorado I am skeptical about where I stay overnight, the location is perfect. High end part of West Des Moines, so if you decide to stay at this Motel 6, the location will without a doubt, the least of your worries.
Really cannot beat the price, but the room will beat you, into a soulless shell of your former self, ok that may be an exaggeration but the room is the cheapest you will find, ever, like throughout history.
The bed seemed to be a box spring with out the charisma of a box spring, more like a box of a box spring, the bed was horribly uncomfortable, BUT the pillow was like a cloud, go figure.
Also our bed spread had a cigarette hole burned into it, nice!!
The shower was slow to drain but the water was hot hot HOT!!

If you are no frills, not even a clock or shampoo and are on a super tight budget, then this is the place for you, the place was fairly clean and in good overall shape. it is like a 500 dollar car, it does what it needs to and nothing else.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Adam H
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#13 of 48 in Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#2 of 22 in West Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
#18 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jordan Creek
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jord...
#7 of 22 in West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moin...
#20 of 22 in West Des Moines
Sleep Inn & Suites West Des Moines near Jordan Creek
Sleep Inn & Suites West Des Moin...
#10 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Motel 6 Des Moines West? Share your experiences!