“Not like any other Motel 6”

Motel 6 Des Moines West
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I have stayed here twice. This is a great property, pleasant clean rooms, small bathrooms, breakfast included. You can't beat the value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 April 2009

The hotel looks really really nice from the outside...the inside is another matter. One of the hallways smells so bad because the carpet smells of mildew to the point where you need to hold your breath. I also had someone else's hair in my shower, a spider in the room, a non-working micro fridge (which by the way the hotel staff knew didn't work when I went down to get it fixed), and there were spots that were simply not vacuumed in the room.

I will say that the staff did switch me to a room that had a semi-work micro-fridge, which was nice. Though I would say it wasn't worth the additional cost of the room for it in anyway. Also on the motel6 site it said they had internet....not that you had to pay 2.99 for it...which if your only staying for a night is not worth it really. I didn't purchase it.

It was very quiet though which was nice. Over all if I were in a pinch I would stay there again....only as a last resort. Again I say it SOME OTHER PERSONS HAIR IN THE "CLEAN SHOWER"....eeewww!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stopped on the way to Minnesota. Very clean and recently remodeled room. Desk clerk very helpful and friendly. Good beds, and an ice machine that works on every floor. Only drawback was the proximity to the interstate. Get a room opposite the highway if possible.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wizardofid
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed 2 nights at motel 6 in West Des Moines, with a positive experience until we attempted to check out...I requested to have my mastercard credited for one night since I paid for 3 nights. The check out lady spent 20 minutes floundering at her computer and stated she was having problems. She called the IT/help desk, apparently they were unable to help her with the transaction. 45 minutes went by. The "manager" showed up, and was unable to complete the transaction for us. My husband called guest relations while we were standing waiting and waiting to attempt to get some help. While he was on hold, the manager began to make foul comments to us, calling us names, stating we would be "blacklisted" from motel 6. I sat there in the lobby with my mouth hanging open. "I said, is this how you treat customers?" She continued to bad mouth my husband and I, and started threatening us. I have never been treated so rudely or with such disrespect in my life. It is unbelievable this woman can hold down a job. Needless to say, we won't be returning to motel 6...EVER!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sullivan03
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This hotel is great to stay at for the price. We stay here frequently while visiting family in West Des Moines. This is not a hotel that you want to stay at if you are going to be in your hotel the entire trip, but works perfectly if you are out and about all day, and just need a place to sleep. The staff is always friendly, the parking lot is lit up nicely, and it even allows big dogs!! We will always continue to stay at this hotel, for that reason alone. Kudos to the staff for always being attentive and friendly

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OmahaJoy
Reviewed 29 February 2008

This is one of the nicer Motel 6's out there. It's clean, and the front desk staff was very friendly. A friend and I travel a lot as we show dogs, and Motel 6's are usually very accomodating to well-behaved dogs. We requested a first-floor room close to an exit, and the staff made sure that we had a room where we had asked. Due to a snowstorm, I needed to make an emergency reservation for an extra night, and the woman at the front desk went to an extra effort to make sure that I had the same room so I wouldn't have to move my luggage and large dog crates. There is even a table in the lobby stocked with dog treats and pick-up bags for pet owners.

The room was nothing special, but clean and well-kept. Housekeeping was very polite, and asked when would be the best time for them to clean the room around our dog-showing schedule. The second night, there were even a few dog biscuits left on the dresser for the dogs. A nice touch.

For about $40 per night for one person, $50 for two people, the price can't be beat for a basic, no-frills stay. There isn't a breakfast available in the morning, but there is a Perkins restaurant within walking distance. Rooms have data ports, but Wi-Fi internet access is a couple of dollars per day. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

For basic travel and budget lodging, particularly if traveling with pets, this is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2008

This is a good place to stay if you are traveling through the area and need a place to sleep. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. However there are no ammenities that are included. This is a very plain jane place to stay, but a good value for your money. It's right off the interstate, fairly new and well kept. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
#18 of 22 in West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moin...
#20 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jordan Creek
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jord...
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moine...
#14 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#2 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Motel 6 Des Moines West? Share your experiences!