“CLEAN, Oh so clean!”

Motel 6 Des Moines West
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We stay at this location all the time when we are in the Des Moines, IA area. The hotel staff is super friendly and the hotel is CLEAN. Sometimes people think of Motel 6 as a less than budget place that is shady but this location has indoor room entrances, the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the staff they have had for the last 5 years has served us well. ONLY compliant would be the noise from the Interstate side of the motel because the windows seem a little inefficient for noise. It isn't that bad that we wouldn't stay there though if we end up with a room facing the Interstate.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank VicsPick

Reviewed 1 December 2010

My extended family booked several rooms here for one night while visiting other family in the area. We're used to staying at Super 8s when we do family travel, so we're not choosy, but the Motel 6 was a downgrade. We all agreed we won't go back and will "spring" for the Super 8 next time.

The rooms are very small and basic but overall in good condition. I wasn't entirely impressed with the cleanliness: I found hair on the blanket and in the sink, and what appeared to be a pubic hair front and center on the bath mat. Things were a little grimy around the corners.

Service was friendly and checkin was smooth. However, you have to check out hair dryers (and other items) at the front desk. When my relative went to get a hair dryer, she was told there was only one for the entire hotel and it was unavailable! The room was also lacking other amenties that I consider really basic: shampoo (I'm sure it's at the front desk upon request), an alarm clock, etc. There are only about 13 TV channels. You can hear freeway noise, but that's to be expected

Because we were just looking for a place to sleep, I would have overlooked all of the above had the bed not been so danged uncomfortable. It was small (one double bed in a room?) and really, really firm and unpadded. It was like sleeping on top of just a box spring. My husband and I tossed and turned all night. The next morning almost all of our traveling group was sore and tired.

The Super 8 is only $20 more and includes breakfast. It's worth the extra cost for a decent night's sleep! This was our first and last stay at a Motel 6.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MNtraveler62
Reviewed 14 October 2010

100% correct-great shower,slept well -staff got it right , and yes good value

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We stayed at a Motel 6 in Laramie WY and liked it so we tried this place the next night. It was one of the nicer Motel 6's a clean, safe, no frills, inexpensive place to stay especially if you have a pet. Stayed here for 49 dollars including the 3 bucks for the wi fi.
The staff was friendly. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Was driving through on way Ontario from Wyoming and needed a place to stay. Pulled off here and found that this was the most affordable place to stay, knowing that all I needed was a clean bed and sleep.
Check in was efficient, and pre-paid on debit card. Received key, and went upstairs to find that there were approximately one dozen dead flies in the window sill, with a couple of others in the room. There was a musty smell in the room as well. Upon seeing this, I looked in the bed. It was made, but sheets appeared used and there were hairs and dirt in the bed. Bathroom was dirty as well as I pulled crud off of the counter top and saw long black hairs in the sink and shower.
Went to front desk to ask for a room change. When I told them about fly problem, they were not surprised to hear this, but stated that "the Ecolab people were just here" and they didn't think there were any problems. They did seem to care, but seemed to be struggling with this.
Changed rooms (two rooms down hall) but in this window there were more bugs and more dirt in room.
Rather than change rooms again to no avail, asked that my card be credited and told the manager about issue. My card was credited on the spot, but the manager spoke with the housekeeper in the lobby, asking if the sheets were changed and room was cleaned. Of course, the housekeeper said it had, putting me on the spot and making it uncomfortable for the both of us. I politely left and paid a few dollars more and stayed across the street.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I have stayed here twice. This is a great property, pleasant clean rooms, small bathrooms, breakfast included. You can't beat the value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2009

The hotel looks really really nice from the outside...the inside is another matter. One of the hallways smells so bad because the carpet smells of mildew to the point where you need to hold your breath. I also had someone else's hair in my shower, a spider in the room, a non-working micro fridge (which by the way the hotel staff knew didn't work when I went down to get it fixed), and there were spots that were simply not vacuumed in the room.

I will say that the staff did switch me to a room that had a semi-work micro-fridge, which was nice. Though I would say it wasn't worth the additional cost of the room for it in anyway. Also on the motel6 site it said they had internet....not that you had to pay 2.99 for it...which if your only staying for a night is not worth it really. I didn't purchase it.

It was very quiet though which was nice. Over all if I were in a pinch I would stay there again....only as a last resort. Again I say it SOME OTHER PERSONS HAIR IN THE "CLEAN SHOWER"....eeewww!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
#18 of 22 in West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moin...
#20 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jordan Creek
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jord...
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moine...
#14 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#2 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Motel 6 Des Moines West? Share your experiences!