“Great Suite”

Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I was looking for a 2 queen bedroom suite with a pull-out sofa in the living room. They had just that, with fridge, microwave, internet and more. Pool for the grandkids. Wonderful brunch. Right next to Jordan Creek Mall. Close to I-35. Clean, comfortable and very nice staff. I also was able to use my AARP discount.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask questions when you book. The staff is very willing to accomodate you. We like 1st f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Nice hotel within 2-3 blocks from the mall. Clean rooms, but smaller than expected bathroom. For some reason I expected a free continental breakfast, but no...it was 8.99? Didn't try it as I would have been late for a meeting.

BEWARE - If you book through a third party, (Expedia, Priceline, etc.), you cannot cancel even in the event of a snow storm. Called hotel to see if I could cancel 1st night due to 6-9 inches of snow, and was told I needed to call Priceline. So I call Priceline and they tell me I need to call the hotel. Priceline said any exceptions would have to come from the hotel. So we drove into a snow storm.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This hotel was great for a visit to Des Moines. It had all the comforts of home including microwave and refrigerator, which meant we could actually take restaurant leftovers back to the room and enjoy them later. The little store off the lobby was full of nice extras including frozen dinners & wine. Free WiFi is also a big plus. We didn't have a chance to enjoy the breakfast, which seemed to be a very reasonable price. And for a really nice change, the coffee provided in the room was excellent. Front desk staff was very accommodating and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The front desk staff were super and very welcoming. I was amazed at the comfort of the bed plus we bring our own memory foam pillows so it was heaven to us. The layout of the room seemed a bit awkward but overall a great room for the price. OK, just went back and changed the "average" to a "very good" because I am not a fan of staying in hotels because they just do not have the comforts of home. Creature of habit rearing....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have stayed here a few times. Each time the Front Desk staff has been friendly and courteous. We like the location near Jordan Creek Mall, and the hotel breakfast is varied and ample. Usually our visits are uneventful, but this time three things happened that were rather out-of-the-ordinary.

1. The LodgeNet movie automatically stopped after 10 minutes. This happened twice and we finally gave up watching the movie. The Front Desk removed the charge from our bill.

2. We had problems starting the car when the temperature dropped to 10F overnight. The hotel was very helpful in getting us a jumper cable.

3. Upon returning home, I looked at the hotel folio and saw that our stay was billed to a credit card that I didn't recognize. I called the hotel and it took about an hour to get the charges billed properly to my credit card.

All in all, this is a hotel that strives to please. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Hotel staff were pleasent and efficient. We stayed two nights and with the exception of the pillows, found it very comfortable and clean. The choice of a more firm pillow would be great. The cookies were a nice perk but there was now milk in the their little convience store...that would have been nice. We ate breakfast one morning and it was just okay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This was my first trip to Des Moines and I was very pleasantly surprised at this property and location. It's within easy distance of pretty much any type of shopping or food, and the property itself is quite updated and very clean. Staff were extremely friendly. They have two pools plus the hot tub (didn't use), and a good exercise facility. Breakfast was pretty good (though the fruit was a little tired). Overall I had a great stay and will definitely stay here again if in town.

NOTE: they are adding a conference center to the facility right now and so expect construction for the next 4-6 months, though I didn't notice any sound bothering me in my room.

Room Tip: Ask about the construction noise schedule and see if you can get something on the opposite side.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business