“more than I would have liked to spend”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites West Des Moines-Jordan Creek
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
KATY
“more than I would have liked to spend”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Great hotel. Clean, comfy rooms and efficient, friendly front desk. They even had a small sewing kit for a garment emergency that I had at the last second!

The only thing is the price. Not sure if I'll come back here as there are plenty of more affordable hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Scott M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites West Des Moines-Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
I appreciate and look forward to sharing your review with our team. Our team takes a lot of pride in providing the exact service which you identified in your comments.

Please continue to consider us and just as a reminder our prices may have only been elevated due to extreme demand.

Thanks again for providing us the opportunity to serve you while you were in Des Moines, and for sharing your valuable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We used points for this stay. Had we paid in cash...this review would likely be more scathing.

If you like stuffy, hot, poorly designed hotel rooms at a higher than premium price - then this is your place! In fact the only nice thing I can say is that "Cody" was very polite at check in.

So - I travel a lot and have platinum status at IHG. One thing that I cannot stand us having to ask for an upgrade. While driving, we checked the website and found that many suites were available. Still I had to ask. Crappy!

I asked for a crib at check in - 730 pm - took the family out for a long dinner and returned at nearly 10. No crib. My wife called down for one and she was told that it would be a while. She informed the desk that we had asked for one nearly three hours ago. Then he said...OK it will be pretty quick. 20 minutes later it arrives...without linens of course!

The rooms are stuffy! We did get an upgrade to a family suite which was fine...but the AC quits running once no movement is detected in the room. I'm as "green" as the next guy but c'mon!

If you are considering a stay here - don't - unless it is free perhaps. Even then, there are so many great choices near Jordan Creek that I am confident we will not ever be back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jason H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites West Des Moines-Jordan Creek, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Jason H,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and for being a Platinum member. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects during your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a really nice hotel. Great location, parking, lobby. There is a very nice restaurant onsite with a reasonably active bar scene.

There is good and bad though. Let's start with the bad and get that out of the way.

Two of my five keys to satisfaction were not met. First, the WiFi is intolerably slow. This seems to be a new trend in hotels. Give us throughput! How is this overlooked by hotels? If you plan on doing business through a VPN you will need to be prepared to wait.

Second, the shower, while really nice in condition and appearance, has very little water pressure.

My other three keys, bed comfort, pillow comfort and available electrical outlets were all met with satisfaction.

In all, it is a good choice for the area but the WiFi, with its "Dial-up-feel" is a real pain.

And I almost forgot - the best elevators of any hotel I have ever visited! They are super quick and seemingly always available. Well done.

Room Tip: Floors 1 and 3 have no ice or vending for some reason. Avoid those if you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Y2kc5oh
Woodstock, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I'm a Corporate Meeting Planner and just got a phone call from our associates who stayed at the Holiday Inn for business! It's the phone call you love to get.........raves and thanks! Wonderful experience for the Associates....and for me. Great staff, facility, and customer service! Thank You!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I really liked this Holiday Inn. I stayed here overnight 8/9 in Rm 513. It's in an excellent location. There are plenty of restaurants and shops (Trader Joe's, TJ Maxx etc.) within walking distance of the hotel. There is also a restaurant in the hotel that I did not try.
The staff was friendly and the room was clean. I Loved the walk in shower! If I never see another tub/shower combo in a hotel, I would be ok with that. The bed was decent.

This is my second time staying in a Holiday Inn within the past few months. They are really stepping up their game. I will be staying with them again in the future. Nice!

• Stayed August 2013
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here and we were very happy with our stay.. we had to come very late into the night due to some travel problems we had. We ended up getting here at 3am and the hotel staff was so nice, they could see we were stressed.. they offered to open the pool and hot tub to use so we could relax a bit... they also allowed us a very late check out, 4pm... rooms were very clean and big... great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for three nights. Approx. 15 min. drive from the airport. Very nice hotel in a great area. The hotel is new and nicely decorated. Rooms are a nice size and well decorated. Showers are a great size and plenty of counter space. I had forgotten my hair dryer and expected to have to use the typical "suck to the wall" hair dryer but they had a regular hair dryer. The morning breakfast has a very good selection, though I think they could make less at a time so that it does not get cold before they need to replenish again. The wait staff in the restaurant is very friendly as well. We also opted to eat dinner in the restaurant one night which was very good. I had the stuffed pork chop, my daughter a steak and my husband had pasta. All was very good and again very good service.
There is plenty of great shopping very close to the hotel, both strip mall and a very large mall within minutes. There is also a Starbucks within a 5 or so min. walk from the hotel.
We would recommend this hotel to others for sure !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family