“Nice stay”

West Des Moines Marriott
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is near Jordan Creek shopping area off I-80. The room was exactly what I have come to expect from a Marriott. Nice bed, clean, quiet. There wasn't much of a view from our room. It overlooked the interstate. It was quiet though and we never heard the interstate traffic. The fitness room had nice equipment and about 10 machines. I used the treadmill it had a tv on it and there was a nice pool area. It could have been a little cleaner in the pool area the tables are showing some wear and tear. They didn't have any towels in the pool area. The cups on the water dispenser were running low. Slight things can be easily fixed. This hotel was a little smaller than many of the Marriott's I have stayed at. They do have a lot of rooms but when you first walk in it doesn't grab your attention. They have just one computer in the lobby designated as their business center. On top of that the computer is visible to everyone walking by. I am used to the business center being in a room with a door for privacy. I am also used to multiple computers. The lobby is on the smaller side. It gives a boutique hotel feel. They didn't have the fruit infused water they said they only do that during the summer time. I was at the downtown Marriott in October and they had it. The downtown Des Moines gives a grander appearance. This hotel does have free parking which is nice. There is a McDonald's right next door connected to the parking lot which is convenient for families. We did eat in the restaurant on site. The food was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

iowaloves2travel,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate you sharing feedback from your stay, and we sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of exceeding your expectations. Your valuable comments provides many opportunities for improving our guest experience. We're glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and found our clean accommodations and comfortable bed to meet your satisfaction. We're happy to have had you as our guest and we hope you'll return for another visit in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just under 10 miles from the airport. I was surprised and so pleased by the staff - very friendly, helpful, accommodating of all our needs (i.e. shuttles, spur of the moment conference rooms, etc.), etc. The hotel lobby and rooms were tastefully decorated. Rooms were spotless. Fitness room offered more than some gyms in which I've worked out. All meals were delicious and accompanied by great service. I can't wait for our return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

amm1313,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Marriott West Des Moines, and we thank you for writing a review. I'm pleased to hear that our staff's warm hospitality exceeded your expectations, and you found our accommodations and amenities perfectly suited for your travels. We're glad you had an enjoyable stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had a wonderful 2 night stay at this hotel. The room was very nice, the lobby was neat and clean, the food in the restaurant was very good. However the best part of the stay was the staff - Morgan and Bridget went out of their way to make us feel welcome and gave exceptional service! They greated each person on their way in and put a smile on everyones face. This was a girls trip just to get away and we will definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Tricia V,
We're happy to hear from you, and we're pleased to know you enjoyed a wonderful stay with us at Marriott West Des Moines. It's fantastic to hear all the aspects that made your girls trip enjoyable. I look forward to sharing your complimentary feedback about the exceptional service you received during your visit, and I'll be certain to recognize Morgan and Bridget with special commendations for their sincere hospitality. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Right off I-80, good price, late night menu where we could get what we wanted, A light salad and a cold beer. Beds and shower were awesome! For $5 a person we got the breakfast buffet which was worth it. Starbucks coffee, fresh fruit and Iowa bacon.

• Stayed: November 2013

Ferf2travel,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your visit to Marriott West Des Moines. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel and amenities well suited for your travels. We appreciate you selecting our hotel, and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Only spent the night here and did not get a chance to try out any of the services. Everything looked clean and fresh except the mold on much of the tile grout in the tub/shower. The AC unit was fairly quiet and integrated into the corner wall. The few staff I encounted were very nice. Just my own taste but, I really do not care for all these lime green and burnt orange colors I see Marriott using in their new or rehabbed hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

MiCowboy,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing feedback from your stay. I'm sorry to hear we were unable to exceed your expectations and sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of the shower did not meet our excellence in service. Your comments have been addressed with our housekeeping staff and improvements will be made for a more positive experience. We value you as our guest, and we hope you will have an opportunity to return and experience all that our property has to offer. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at the West Des Moines Marriot last night and I was profoundly pleased and very, very impressed. The staff is EXCEPTIONAL! At check-in, I was heartily greeted by Morgan who was efficient and warm and friendly. When I got to my room, the TV wasn't working so I called the front desk. In a little under 90 seconds, a maintenance person was at my door and fixed my tv in about 2 minutes. He was also exceedingly polite and apologetic. Later, it came to the attention of the front desk (because the maintenance man was doing his job) that I had not read the fine print on Expedia regarding an extra charge for the dogs that I brought to this pet-friendly hotel. I was understandably mortified, but Morgan offered to defer the charge and I simply had to sign the standard pet agreement. In his words (with my paraphrasing) "you only get a guest for the first time once, so you need to make a good impression". I was bowled over by this attitude as it often seems that businesses forget how important that is to ensure repeat business. He was so kind, and such a gregarious and fun-loving host for this hotel that we actually hugged at the end of our conversation. We HUGGED! That's how good these folks make you feel at this hotel!! And those good feeling continued the next morning when I went downstairs to the restaurant to get some coffee and maybe a danish. The man at the bar was very accommodating in getting me coffees to-go and directed me to choose from the pastries at the end of a simply gorgeous breakfast buffet to take back to my room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Des Moines. Although I arrived late and didn't partake in the very festive activities at the lounge in the lobby, I wish I had been able to do so. There was good looking food being served and a well stocked bar and many folks socializing and enjoying themselves. The lobby is beautiful and I was pleasantly surprised that the room was EVERY bit as lovely (not always the case in some hotels). My only criticism would be with Expedia - the pet policy should have been made clearer. I hope that this lovely hotel would re-consider the extra fee for guests with pets as it may deter people from taking advantage of a great hotel experience in Des Moines.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

bewler,
We appreciate your review and complimentary feedback from your stay with us at West Des Moines Marriott. Our staff makes sincere hospitality their priority. Incredible reflections like yours gives us opportunities to commend our staff on their warm hospitality and exceptional service. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team and recognizing Morgan with a special commendation for exceeding your expectations. Your feedback is important to us so we appreciate you writing. Please come back and visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed for a quick overnight. Was in town for a football tournament that my nephew was in. Really was only in the room from 10p-8a. Was a Saturday and was nice and quiet. I know there was a wedding reception going on and we didn't have any issues with noise.

Bed was comfortable with down comforter and feather pillows. Lots of counter space in the bathroom. Higher end bath products. Water was really hard would be my only complaint.

Location was great. Right off interstate and only a mile or two to Jordan Creek Mall.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

BocciCrazedIowans,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience at West Des Moines Marriott. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in town for your nephew's football tournament, and we're glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay during your visit. Please come see us again soon, and don't hesitate to stay a little longer! Thank you again for writing.